General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Triathlon Gear Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-09 3:03 PM

Subject: First Triathlon Gear

I'll preface this with it most likely being a stupid question, but hopefully someone can help...

I'm getting ready to do my first triathlon and one of the things I have been looking at is gear. Specifically triathlon suits/pants/tops. I'm unsure of what people typically buy/swim in for various things.

For example it seems that most people doing races in open water wear a wetsuit with tripants under them, then during T1 change out of the suit, leave the pants on, and just throw on a top. Does this mean if you're wearing a one piece suit that those people are wearing it under their wetsuit?

Also, for a smaller upcoming event that I'd like to do the swim is in a pool, so a wetsuit obviously isnt needed. Do most people swim with just tripants on and no top, and then throw one at at T1? What about a one piece suit, are they swimming in a one piece suit or is that mainly only reserved for times when you are wearing a wetsuit.

Hope that makes sense....

2009-02-09 3:18 PM
in reply to: #1953111

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: First Triathlon Gear
You may want to read through some of the older threads as this has been discussed many, many times and a lot of your questions could probably be answered. Also, the current issue of Triathlete magazine is devoted to beginner's issues including gear. Lots of good information there.

Welcome and good luck with your first tri
2009-02-09 3:20 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

For a first tri, i would recommend a pair of tri shorts. Nothng else special is required. If you wear a shirt put it on under the wetsuit. It is very difficult to put on a shirt when you are wet.

I wouldnt bother with a full tri suit for your first tri.

2009-02-09 3:41 PM

User image

Expert
Florida
you dont even necessarily need the tri outfit period for your first,depending on distance.
I did my first one in my swim jammers and then threw a shirt on for the run, it was sprint distance.
In all honesty, if this is your first race, and your not sure if your going to stick with tri's, a pair of swim jammers, goggles, a shirt, and hat are all you need, along with bike and helmet and running shoes.
Wear the jammers for the swim, then bike with or without shirt(i did without so i could dry off before run and to save time) then throw your shirt on for the run if you want.

If you decide to get into tri's, a one piece is usually worn for Oly's or less, although some wear them for HIm's or IM's. two piece suit is usually the way to go for HIM's or greater.

people wear their wetsuit with outfit underneath. peel off wetsuit, get on bike-go.

2009-02-10 6:07 AM

User image

First one, get a pair of tri shorts and a tight fitting shirt, compression shirt would work great.

Or a pair of tri shorts and don't wear a shirt during the swim, put it on later. Most of the sprints I've seen allow for no shirt biking.

Wait until you're good and hooked before you find out how expensive this can get
2009-02-10 4:43 PM

New user

I just had a pair of tri shorts for my first one. Worked out pretty well and I will probably buy a tri shirt for my next one, I tried to dry off in T1 but still found it a little difficult to get the shirt on.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Triathlon Gear Rss Feed