General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Issues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-06 4:59 PM

New user

Subject: Heart Rate Issues

Hello

I am 33, male, 182lbs, 49 resting heart rate and have been training for 7 months.  All of my training over the last 2 months has been with a coach and aerobically.  I am now entering the build phase.  My coach tested me to determine my heart rate zones.

This week was the first week i could let loose and go in to the higher anaerobic intensities.  I had the same problem however with both the bike and run workouts.  I could not get my heart rate up to the prescribed levels.  I could barely get my bike out of the 130's and my run which was a hard hill workout was stubborn at 168.  I was suppose to go to 174 and then higher for the last "hard" run.  What gives.  I am not dogging it.  In fact I remember an up hill sprint I did against my brother and 168 was all my heart rate got to yet I felt like I was going to die. 

Is it my lactate threshhold?  Poor muscular endurance?  Just a whimp?  

also hydration, rest and nutrition are all very good and I am not in a weight loss phase or anything.  plenty of carbs to keep my energy up. 

2009-03-06 5:35 PM
in reply to: #2002871

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Heart Rate Issues
How did your coach test you for your HR zones?
2009-03-06 6:39 PM
in reply to: #2002918

New user

I did a two tests which are below and sent the data.  I dont know how he derived the zones from the data. He also had some previous run / 5k data he may have looked at. 

45 minute continuous run on flat terrain, as follows:
WARM-UP: 15 minutes, settling in @ 145 bpm's (beats per minute) (NO HIGHER!)
MAIN: For the final 30 minutes, run on a measured course (such as a track) or treadmill staying right at 145
bpm's. Record your mile splits for this segment and email this data to me.

50 minute continuous run on flat terrain, as follows:
WARM-UP: 20 minutes, settling in @ 10:00 min/mile (NO FASTER!)
MAIN: For the final 30 minutes, run on a measured course (such as a track) or treadmill staying right at 10:00
min/mile pace. Record your average heart rate for this segment and email this data to me. Do NOT include your
HR data for the first 20 minute segment in this average

2009-03-06 7:55 PM
in reply to: #2002985

For a field test, this really doesn't make much sense- you need to ask your coach why he did not have you complete a maximal effort determining either the time to reach a set distance (monitoring splits), or the distance within a set time.  All of this should have been then related to at least peak HRmax, HRavg, and RPE if you were going to be establishing HR ranges.

By the first test, it appears that your coach is assuming there is a direct relationship to a random HR, or has a specific test that either wants 77% of your age-predicted HRmax, or 70% of your Karvonen.  Which doesn't exist.

The 2nd test appears to be more of a velocityVO2 style test, which is not a valid one either (the way he Rx'ed it).  If he's using Daniel's concepts, he needs to stick with Daniel's directions, because the realtionship between velocity and VO2 that Daniel's determined is specific to the effort, which you're obviously more than capable of hitting faster than 10:00/mi.

But out of fairness for your coach and you, ask why these tests were chosen, what he's basing the ranges off of (%'s), and why not a max effort.

Alot happens at max efforts than can not be extrapolated from a submax effort (which is why submax VO2 estimates are 10-20% off).  Yes, that 5k data might have been used, but if so why bother with the training-duration days of testing?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Issues Rss Feed