General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fatigue on bike training (bonking maybe?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-11 5:25 PM

Subject: Fatigue on bike training (bonking maybe?)

Hi all, thanks for having a look at my wee post, sorry a bit of a long one.

Had a quick question about biking and experiencing fatigue during a ride and wondered whether anyone else had come across anything similar or had any suggestions. I haven't been training long, about three months for a sprint race in two weeks.

My legs have been packing up very early on in my rides (10-15 minutes in) recently followed by significant fatigue, both mental and physical, post ride? It's only started happening in the last few weeks and cycling is my strongest discipline by far, never had any problem on the bike before. 

I took three full days off from all training after a bad ride on Saturday and went for a small bike yesterday but my legs gave up only after about two or three kms. The odd thing is however that I went for a good run, 40 minutes, today and it was the best run of my life, felt like I could keep going for hours, my swims also seem to be fine. I do eat carbohydrates before any training and let it digest for at least an hour beforehand.

I'm wondering about two possible things? Bonking, though the problems seems to start soon after jumping on the bike, not several hours into the ride and would that affect my run too? Or over-reaching, I may have gone too hard out in distance or intensity (have been careful to train at low bpm though) and need to pull things back a touch, but wouldn't that also affect my running and swimming?

Thanks heaps, look forward to thoughts

2009-03-11 5:43 PM
in reply to: #2011997

User image

Subject: RE: Fatigue on bike training (bonking maybe?)

Not sure what it is, but I am sure it's not bonking.

Hopefully others will chime in if they can tell what's going on

And welcome to BT!  Good luck in your sprint

2009-03-11 5:47 PM
in reply to: #2012025

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Welcome!

Like Chris said, it's not what is typically known as bonking.  THAT is a very unpleasant experience...

I'm not sure what it could be.  Maybe you worked out too hard previously, maybe your bike is set up poorly and you use way too much muscle.  Maybe too big of a gear to wear out the legs more?

Give us an update if it continues or if you figure it out!

2009-03-11 6:20 PM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
What cadence do you typically ride at? Consider spinning faster in an easier gear.
2009-03-11 8:18 PM

User image

Bettendorf, Iowa

Hello and welcome.

What you are describing is similar to what I deal with on my bike about every 3rd or 4th week.  It usually effects 1 or 2 days of riding when it hits.  Not sure if it is what you are experiencing, but for me it goes as follows....  I start my ride, warm up a bit for 5-10 minutes, then start progressing into a harder effort.  About 3-5 minutes into the harder effort progression (so, about 10 to 15 minutes into the ride) I get a feeling of fatigue.  The fatigue is felt primarily in my legs, but I also feel it in my lungs and heart too....kind like when you know you are just having a bad cardio day.  I describe this as "the hump" and I have to fight through it for about 5 more minutes and then it always goes away.  Once it goes away, I settle right into a good (normal feeling) ride and am good to go.  Again, not sure this is what you are experiencing but my question to you is....have you tried to "push through" it for a few minutes to see if you get over the "hump"?

2009-03-12 7:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Yeah what he said ^^^...Once I start riding consistently that happens to me alot...I call it "spagetti legs" cause it feels like I am trying to pedal with a limp noodle...just feels like your not putting any power down to the pedals...once the boys get good and warmed up its off to the races...this was awhile back but if memory serves me correct I was told to drink more water to help with the problem...been awhile since I have been on the bike...just push on through it... 

2009-03-12 8:14 AM

Bunbury
I am pretty much in the same level as you and know exactly what your talking about, most days I can get right into cycling but others I struggle with sore legs, high heart rate burning throat, lungs and sinuses, I have always put it down to either bad weather ie windy or hot or just not recovered from my last workout, the difference for me can be as much as 10kmph difference in average speed but at higher than average heart rates
2009-03-12 8:15 AM

Bunbury
OH and what is bonking? sounds like fun Tongue out
2009-03-12 8:22 AM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Yup, what others have said, definitely not bonking.  I wouldn't expect the effects of a bonk for about 1.5 - 2 hours at an anaerobic HR level.  I think this is what a lot of folks feel and for me I just have to push past that "uneasy" feeling for about 5 minutes and things start to settle in at the higher pace and HR.
2009-03-12 10:07 AM
in reply to: #2012761

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.

spinamatic - 2009-03-12 6:15 AM OH and what is bonking? sounds like fun Tongue out

No, no no.

boInking = fun!

bonking = misery.

John 

2009-03-12 10:23 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

spinamatic - 2009-03-12 8:15 AM OH and what is bonking? sounds like fun Tongue out

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=149961&posts=12&start=1

Not fun at all

2009-03-12 10:27 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
roscoNZ - 2009-03-11 5:25 PM

Hi all, thanks for having a look at my wee post, sorry a bit of a long one.

Had a quick question about biking and experiencing fatigue during a ride and wondered whether anyone else had come across anything similar or had any suggestions. I haven't been training long, about three months for a sprint race in two weeks.

My legs have been packing up very early on in my rides (10-15 minutes in) recently followed by significant fatigue, both mental and physical, post ride? It's only started happening in the last few weeks and cycling is my strongest discipline by far, never had any problem on the bike before. 

I took three full days off from all training after a bad ride on Saturday and went for a small bike yesterday but my legs gave up only after about two or three kms. The odd thing is however that I went for a good run, 40 minutes, today and it was the best run of my life, felt like I could keep going for hours, my swims also seem to be fine. I do eat carbohydrates before any training and let it digest for at least an hour beforehand.

I'm wondering about two possible things? Bonking, though the problems seems to start soon after jumping on the bike, not several hours into the ride and would that affect my run too? Or over-reaching, I may have gone too hard out in distance or intensity (have been careful to train at low bpm though) and need to pull things back a touch, but wouldn't that also affect my running and swimming?

Thanks heaps, look forward to thoughts

go to the link I posted above for a definition of 'bonking'; in your case it seems you are just fatigued and your fitness is still developing. Take a few days easy (or even off), keep an eye on your training load (load = duration + intensity) and work on fueling/resting.
2009-03-12 10:28 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

spinamatic - 2009-03-12 6:15 AM OH and what is bonking? sounds like fun Tongue out

You would be wrong!  It sucks!  It's kind of scary actually...  Avoid it if you can...

2009-03-12 11:19 AM

User image

spinamatic - 2009-03-12 9:15 AM

OH and what is bonking? sounds like fun Tongue out

Go look for Julie Moss' 1982 IM Kona finish and see if bonking looks like fun. That's a severe case, yes, but that's what it feels like.
2009-03-12 3:07 PM

Bunbury

Surprised far out! I had no idea that could happen, talk about hitting the wall, I'm glad you all told me about it before I started my longer training sessions.

Looks bloody nasty, I certainly wont be complaining about feeling tired and having no energy anymore

2009-03-12 7:10 PM

Hi all

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the super fast replies, really appreciate it and some good stuff there.

Have had a look at some of the things on bonking (incl thread above) and agree that it definitely ain't that, would be difficult to not know it when you get it.

I decided to get out a have a quick blat on the bike today, so popped out for a quick 20km on the flat. Very much a below average ride, but better than some I've been having recently. Had a cadence of 85-95 and heart rate running at 140-155bpm, however came across something that I hadn't noticed before, that most of the weakness/fatigue seems to be in my left leg (I'm right handed).

Has anyone else found that they favour (british spelling here) or have a stronger and weaker leg in the past? Would be okay if that were the case as I could just do some leg strengthening work.

2009-03-13 9:58 AM

Bunbury

I am right handed but left legged, oddly enough I hammer my right leg and go easy on my left, I have to make a conscious effort to balance the forces applied in both legs but that wears me out so I am now doing more strength training with my left leg, lunges and single leg squats in a doorframe and calf raises, my left calf is bulging and well defined but my right quad is about 20% larger in mass and has much more definition.....Im a mess Frown

hows your seat height?

2009-03-15 9:36 PM

I had the seat adjusted that way so that when you're stationary you have a straight leg when the crank is at its lowest which ends up being a slightly bent knee when you're actually riding. Hips stay level when peddling, don't rock from side to side. 

Had another ride yesterday which was still below average but they seem to be getting better (died on the hills though which is not like me). Hopefully will push through this phase and continue to improve back to the good level I was at about four weeks ago.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fatigue on bike training (bonking maybe?) Rss Feed