General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I need help with women's cycling shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-13 3:43 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Subject: I need help with women's cycling shoes
Specifically road shoes. I'm coming off of wearing strictly MTB (Specialized) shoes for the last year or so. I was reasonably comfortable with the Specialized MTB shoes, so I figured I would stick with that brand. I just received a pair of Specialized BG Torch road shoes (ordered online, based on the fit of my current Specialized shoe)...and I don't know if I really like them or not. First off...I found the ratcheting system to be difficult to "undo", and that was rather frustrating. And the fit feels a little bit "sloppy", IMO. Mind you, I haven't actually ridden with the shoes yet...infact, I haven't mounted the cleats yet either and I'm not sure I want to given the fact that I might end up sending them back.

The other problem is...I have weird feet. I overpronate in one foot, have PF in my left foot, toe-numbing issues in my right foot (due to underlapping 3rd&4th toes)...in other words, my feet are a mess. I need a cycling shoe with a roomy toe box only...the rest of my foot is NOT wide, so I do not need nor want a wide shoe...just one that has a lot of wiggle-room in the toe area. I've tried Sidi's, and they don't really work for me, because my toes feel squished...so they're out. I sort of like the custom-fit Shimano SH-WR80, but the price is rather steep @ $280. Are there any ladies out there that use this shoe and can provide some feedback on it? How does the heat-moldable option work? Is this something that can be done at home by popping them into the oven? Or is this something that has to be done at an authorized Shimano dealer?

I've also been looking at some of the less popular brands, such as the Lake CX170-W and the Northwave Velvet S.B.S. Any ladies using either of these shoes? I'm looking for feedback on fit, stiffness, durability. I'm not finding any Lake and/or Northwave dealers in my area, so that makes it difficult to try them on in person. I'm open to any other suggestions...

Thanks!

ETA - Oh, I have BOZO feet too...my Specialized Torch's are a size 43, which is the largest size in women's that they offer. However, my Specialized MTB shoes are a 41.5 (but they are a bit too snug). I also have a pair of men's Specialized MTB shoes in a 42, and those fit fine. I was encouraged by the gal who took my order, to go up a full size in the road shoe because according to her...they fit snugger than MTB shoes. Not entirely sure if that is the case or not.

Edited by nscrbug 2009-03-13 3:50 PM

2009-03-14 5:31 AM
in reply to: #2016567

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: I need help with women's cycling shoes

Yes, road shoes are snugger than MTBs. I'd suggest actually trying to go with a men's shoe in road if you want the wider toe box but not overall wider shoes, especially since you've had a pair of men's MTB shoes you like.

Can't help you much on the specifics since I have, if it is possible, weirder feet than you. I have yet to find a pair of running shoes (not discontinued) or cycling shoes that truly fit, and I won't shell out for customs! 

2009-03-14 7:32 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
I have a wide, short foot and wore MTB shoes forever.  I recently changed from Specialized MTB shoes to SIDI triathlon shoes and love them.  This link talks about the various sizes and widths they come in which might be good for you. The great news is with velcro there is not an issue with the ratchet system which always slowed me down in T1.  I got mine on clearance because they were an older model year.  I think I paid around $100. Good value!

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-03-14 7:33 AM
2009-03-14 8:16 AM
in reply to: #2017395

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
I know this sounds like a broken record around here but I suggest going to a LBS and get your shoes fit.  When I got my bike fit done they fit the shoes also, put in a new footbed and a shim in one shoe to get the fit just right.
2009-03-14 8:03 PM
in reply to: #2017423

User image

Champion
MA

dalessit - 2009-03-14 9:16 AM I know this sounds like a broken record around here but I suggest going to a LBS and get your shoes fit.  When I got my bike fit done they fit the shoes also, put in a new footbed and a shim in one shoe to get the fit just right.

^^^^

I agree going to a bike store and trying them on. Lots of bigger bike stores have last years models on sale up to 50% off. Not until I tried on a bunch of shoes did I get ahhh these are good feeling for my shoes when buying some winter riding boots last fall.

I can't really help you with brands as I have wide shoes and wear men's wide bike shoes. I have both Shimano shoes and Sidi. I ordered three of my 5 pairs of bike shoes on line and wish I had gone the LBS route instead as I don't think they fit as well as they should/could.

2009-03-15 7:13 AM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Thanks everyone. For what it's worth...I HAVE been going to LBS and trying various types of shoes on. Problem is...most of the LBS around me, all carry the same brands and models. So I'm not getting very far by continuing to try on the same shoes every time. I would love to try on some less popular brands like LAKE and NORTHWAVE...but I can't find any stores near me that actually carry a selection of those shoes in their stores. Most of the stores carry the really low-end shoes that have the least amount of features because they claim that the higher-end, higher-priced shoes simply don't sell very well. Oh well...I'll keep looking.

2009-03-15 8:26 AM
in reply to: #2018711

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

nscrbug - 2009-03-15 8:13 AM Thanks everyone. For what it's worth...I HAVE been going to LBS and trying various types of shoes on. Problem is...most of the LBS around me, all carry the same brands and models. So I'm not getting very far by continuing to try on the same shoes every time. I would love to try on some less popular brands like LAKE and NORTHWAVE...but I can't find any stores near me that actually carry a selection of those shoes in their stores. Most of the stores carry the really low-end shoes that have the least amount of features because they claim that the higher-end, higher-priced shoes simply don't sell very well. Oh well...I'll keep looking.

hmm, yeah then you would have to do the shoe comparison, i.e. shoe x fits like a sidi, I hear that one all the time.  Maybe you could try calling Bike Sport Michigan, Trisports.com, etc. and explaining your situation and what you are looking for.  They might be able to tell you what you should be looking for and if they have an exchange policy, buy what they suggest and return it if it doesn't fit.

Good luck.

2009-03-15 10:05 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario

I always rode in MTB shoes for commuting. (The recessed cleats made my life easier...)  I just bought Men's Nike shoes for my new bike. (New bolt pattern required.)  I found that they had a little more room in the toe box but weren't sloppy anywhere else.  They do have the "ratchet" system on them - so I don't know how I'll like that since I haven't really ridden a lot in them - but I do like the way they feel on....

I don't know if it helps - but try some men's shoes on too maybe...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I need help with women's cycling shoes Rss Feed