General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin pain - race coming up Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-28 6:26 PM

Subject: Shin pain - race coming up
I've been running 12-15 miles/wk for about 3 months now. Two weeks ago I was invited to run with a 10K training team for a group workout. I ran with them two weeks in row at a fairly hard effort. Long story short, I guess it was too much too soon and I've ended up with a mild case of the shin splints. The pain is noticable but very tolerable as long as I rest 2-3 days between runs. From those experienced runners out there should I stop running totally even though I have a 10K on 4/9 that I'd really hate to miss or just take it slow and easy for the next two weeks. Sorry if I've rambled but I hope you get the gist.

Thanks, Scott

Edited by mtb-rider 2005-03-28 6:28 PM

2005-03-29 8:49 AM
in reply to: #134983

User image

Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: Shin pain - race coming up
what a drag. i had a shin splint a couple of years ago training for imoo and here's what i did. ice for 20-30 min. every 4 hours. ibuprofen 800 mg every 8-12 hours. lots of stretching. ace wrap at all times except when sleeping and running. i didn't change my training much but i was in the middle of training. it would definitely help to rest as much as possible and with your race so close a little taper would do you well. good luck!
2005-03-29 10:38 AM

User image

Buttercup

You want to start doing strength training exercises to correct muscle imbalances.  Google.

Simple exercises you can do at your desk:

• From a sitting position, elevate your foot so that it's straight out from the knee. Imagine you have a piece of chalk between your toes and trace the alphabet. Do this 2 or 3 times a day.
  • Keep marbles at your desk. Take your shoes off and practice picking up marbles with your toes.
  • Wear boots or heels (your name is Scott, so I'd go with boots unless you're okay with heels).

Disclaimer: I'm not an experienced runner. I'm a newbie who doesn't want to get any overuse injuries.

2005-03-29 7:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Home port

Shin splints can be caused by a few factors, like increasing mileage too soon, incresing speed, or biomechanical issues.  This is the one most of us overlook too frequently.  A lot of times, the soleus muscle( located below and under the calf) becomes very tight and actually pulls on the muscles surrounding your shin.  This is actually the problem that causes pain in the shin area. I will attach a file so you can see this. You should lay off running until the pain goes away, take some ibuprofen and massage the area below your calf.  You should also check out this website www.tpmassageball.com .  They have helped thousands of people with over use injuries.  You can save your self a lot of aggravation and missed training days if you nip this in the bud now.  The reason I know this is I have been helped immensely by these products.

Bryan

Attachments
----------------
shin splints explanation.htm (8KB - 37 downloads)
runners must read.htm (18KB - 49 downloads)
2005-03-29 7:50 PM

Thanks for all you help and support. I did purchase both "the stick" and the TPmassage ball about a week ago and have been using them at least once a day whether I run or not. I also have been doing the foot excercises that have been mentioned. Today I cautiously went for a easy 3 miler and "knock on wood" the shins felt great. I'm pretty psyched right now. I'll continue to take it easy for the next two weeks and hopefully have a enjoyable race. Thanks again to everyone.

Scott
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin pain - race coming up Rss Feed