General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman wetsuit questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-30 3:00 PM

User image

New user

Markham, Ontario
Subject: Ironman wetsuit questions
I have been offered a wetsuit in good condition (only one small nick) for CAD $100.  It's an Ironman fullsuit, size 4 (large).  Just curious about three things - what's the big difference between a full suit and sleeveless as far as fitting and comfort - I was hoping for a sleeveless since I thought that being a swimmer by background it would be more comfortable.  Second, how do Ironman suits typically fit - tighter than most, looser, etc.  I'm a border line L (6', 220) and don't want to get something too tight. Third, has anyone ever heard of a size 4 sizing for Ironman suits.  Their website talks about S, M, L but no numbers.  Granted the suit being offered is a 2001 so that may answer the question.

Edited by mileader 2005-03-30 3:01 PM

2005-03-30 4:17 PM
in reply to: #135870

Austin, TX .... Y'all
Subject: RE: Ironman wetsuit questions
I got the sleeveless ironman instinct from tribonzai brand new for $100. I prefer the sleeveless...but I'm also in Texas... not Canada. A full may be better up there. I found the ironman website sizing to be right on and I've heard from others that the sizing chart is very good. You may be able to find a 2001 chart if you google it. Good luck...
I haven't looked at Tribonzai.com in a while, but they may still have some sleeveless available and for 100 bucks american, that's quite a deal
2005-03-30 4:25 PM

Veteran
Ankeny, Iowa
According to your measurements a size 4 should fit but it may be a bit snug as you are at the upper limits of the suit(6'2 and 198 lbs).  The sleeveless vs. full is a matter of comfort, some people don't like having the restriction, while some like the extra warmth provided by the full. I don't find the restriction to matter but I do not consider myself a swimmer either.  The other thing I guess to consider is how cold are the swims you are going to be doing.
2015-03-03 10:42 PM

I was recently given a Gladiator 3/2 Titanium wetsuit - anyone have any experience with this wetsuit for an IM?
2015-03-04 2:43 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

If it was me, I'd let that pass. If that suit is a 2001 model then it's getting old. Regardless of how much it was used, neoprene rubber just deteriorates over time. A wetsuit more than 2-3 years old would be suspect in my mind.

Sleeveless vs full. I'd say that would ultimately depend on the water temps you plan to be swimming in, and your tolerance for cold water. If the temps are right around the upper limit for suits, then sleeveless is probably the way to go. I'm comfortable in a sleeveless almost up to the limit because I hate
cold water. If the water is approaching something below 60, then a full suit would probably be more comfortable. But again, this all depends on your temp comfort level in the water.

On sizing, I prefer a company that lets me try the wetsuit on for size, and even swim in it, since getting it wet and moving around is different from just standing there in it. That way you know for sure it will work. The bargain suit is a huge gamble if you can't return it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman wetsuit questions Rss Feed