The ING Georgia Marathon & Half Marathon
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 11m 45s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 1:35am to roaring wind and was unable to go back to sleep - nice. At 3:30 I went downstairs to turn on the TV, hopefully that'll put me back to sleep - nope. At 4:45 I got up, ate two bowls of cereal and stretched. Out the door by 5:35.
Event warmup:

Got to the event, found the gear check and checked my fleece and sweat pants. I didn't think I needed them as it was pretty warm when I got there. Everything at this event was spread way too far apart. After checking my gear I walked to the other side of Centennial Olympic Park to find the porta-johns THEN had to go clear across the park again to get to the start corrals. Once I got there I had to jump three barricades because how one is supposed to get into the start corrals wasn't marked AT ALL!
Run
  • 2h 11m 45s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

The temp dropped as the run progressed so keeping cool was not a problem. Everything except a blister on both feet was going exactly to plan through the 10K, then the wheels fell off right after passing the Carter Center. It was a struggle to finish from then on. I guess being awoken at 1:35 didn't help at all. Normally I don't walk during a race except through the aid stations, but I had to walk up most of Tenth Street and Juniper - boooo! And then through some of Ga. Tech which really sucked as I was wearing a Georgia hat. Imagine what the techies were thinking: "Look - a Georgia fan walking!"
What would you do differently?:

Get some sleep, not eat junk food the day before the race. I was on pace for a PR through the 10K damnit!
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some cookie and found my gear. I was so glad I had the fleece and sweat pants when I finished!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Didn't get enough sleep the night before.

Event comments:

The race was good, but the pre-race was a total cluster-@%!$. It was the year before, too.

Last updated: 2009-03-30 12:00 AM
Running
02:11:45 | 13.1 miles | 10m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Mile 1 8:22 Mile 2 9:11 Mile 3 8:22 Mile 4 9:16 Mile 5 8:51 Mile 6 9:32 10K time: 55:52 Mile 7 9:52 Mile 8 9:31 Mile 9 9:53 Mile 10-11 22:43 Mile 12 11:19 Mile 13 14:47
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes