United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 04m 6s
Overall Rank = 47/
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 7/58
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and ate a cliff bar and drank a bottle of GU2O as I proceeded from the hotel down to Coronado Island. Setup my bike and transition area and then grabbed the camera and took a short video of the surf rolling in. Asked a Navy Seal guy whether the run was on the soft or firm sand... he said soft so I decided to put some socks on for the run to keep the sand out.
Event warmup:

I went out into the water and got my body used to the temp. Then started diving under waves and did a few strokes, then a few one arm drill strokes (tricky with the waves) as the one arm drills seem to give me a better feeling of lengthening my stroke. Then went up near the start on the beach and a guy in speedo only asked me if how the water was. I said that I was glad I put my skull cap on. LOL
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1931 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

Swam better than I thought I had in me. Don't know the time as I did not have a watch on but it was surely faster than I normally swim as I arrived in transition with my bike surrounded by many other bikes (I am used to having some extra space in T1 and my eyes almost bulged from the sight of so many bikes). I lunged under the waves well to get underneath and kind of dolphin kicked while the waves went over. I got past them pretty quick and had a good groove going right away.. finding the buoy pretty quickly. Then navigated well and after turning back in I caught the waves extremely well and rode them back into shore. Perhaps body surfing is my thing. :)
What would you do differently?:

I think I swam really well. Kind of amazed myself when I saw all the bikes in transition.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Again... don't know the time.

Ran across the mat... ran through the pool to get the sand off my feet and after getting my wetsuit off quickly put my shoes, helmet, and sunglasses on.

It was a good quick transition except I did have a little trouble getting the wetsuit off my feet. Also had to slide my bike computer sensor up right after going over the mat as it had slid down and wasn't reading.
Bike
  • 2h 27m 3s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.85 mile/hr
Comments:

Put my bike computer time down. As with the other legs they didn't post splits so I am putting my bike computer time down which doesn't include the time that I took changing my rear tube 8 mile in as the back tire was feeling mushy and it was making me have to work harder to get the speed I desired. Plus I had a guy drafting off me for 4 miles and so stopping that didn't bother me at all. The guy even had volunteers say "watch the drafting" but he kept at it. After fixing the rear tire up, I started off again determined to have a great ride. I kept pretty comfortable but yet knew I was grinding the gears pretty good. Most of the ride had crosswinds coming from the ocean and in spots I would crank harder and then I could hold the higher speeds better. There was only one short hill in the course and I used that in both directions to take in nutrition and the cheering there also helped me spin the crank away. On the 4th loop, I passed the lead woman, Renata Bucher. She smiled at me as I went by and I think she used me to motivate her bike pace but I did put a little bit of distance on her before the end of the loop/bike.

Rode very well. Perhaps I should have changed the tube before as I slightly wondered about it after having to air it up from about 60 psi that morning. Otherwise rode a great ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Normal transition with the addition of socks because of the sandy run.

Same...
Run
  • 1h 57m 13s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran really well on the first loop and struggled on the second loop. I had the Garmin on and my pace was between mid 7s and low 9s according to the terrain. At the beginning of the 2nd loop, the female leader, Renata, finally caught up to me. I thought she was going to catch me just a little after the run started and was surprised that it took her that long. She laughed when I told her that. I tried to keep her in sight but as the 2nd loop progressed I slowed gradually and was in the mid 8s to the low 10s and walked a little through the really soft sand part. If felt like I wasn't much slower than if I tried to run through the that part. I did pick the pace back up a little over the last mile and half or so.

Just lack of run training. I was a big slacker. I more than doubled my run miles for the month during the race and that really isn't acceptable if I want to perform at the level that I would like to. Plus I would have been a lot more comfortable on that 2nd loop if I had trained properly.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched really quickly... grabbed a coke and 2 chili dogs. I was hungry! Then went right over to the Normatec MVP 'SPACE LEGS' recovery device setup and relaxed while they did their work. The device is neat. It is 2 leg sleeves that an air compressor fills up applying compression to your legs and feet in a manner that is supposed to increase your circulation. While I was in them, the race winner Chris McDonald was doing the same and I talked to him a little bit. Since he was an aussie, I told him he should race Macca at the Silver Half. Don't think he will as he said that hills don't get along well with him.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Strangely enough the run was my weakest link. Slacker run training limited my performance.

Event comments:

This is a great race and although it doesn't have all the thrills of some races, it does have a lot of prestige. It is the type of race that triathlon is meant to be. Well in my mind at least. It is setup to test you and what you can do. It is also a 31 year old race that I look forward to going back to.

Last updated: 2008-12-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1931 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/58
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Suit
Course: Beach start running into the surf with some decent waves breaking. Straight out around a buoy then turning and around another buoy and then back to shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 56F / 13C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:27:03 | 56 miles | 22.85 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Out and back 4 times along highway 75 on Coronado Island.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:57:13 | 13.1 miles | 08m 57s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops running along the beach then up through some soft sand, down a path that would loop around back to the soft sand and then the beach. Finish was through a tunnel and around a path.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-03-31 12:44 AM

User image

Mesa
Subject: Superfrog Triathlon

2009-03-31 5:51 AM
in reply to: #2050237

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: Superfrog Triathlon

Awesome work on the swimming! Way to go

And nice work finding an Aussie to chat to afterwards...

2009-03-31 11:42 AM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
That's really awesome. Your bike leg is incredible!
2009-03-31 11:45 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Great job!! I can't believe you can still go so fast, even though, as you say, you are 'slacking' on the run. I know how hard running through sand is!! Ouch!
2009-03-31 2:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
Awesome race Andy, a little more run training and you'll really be rippin! Sounds like a cool race also! 
2009-03-31 4:41 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Sounds like you had a great day. The bike average is very impressive.

2009-04-05 11:14 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Great job! Super fast times all around and you are right up there in your AG- well done!
2009-04-06 2:24 PM

Pro
AZ
Awesome job Andy!!! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Superfrog Triathlon Rss Feed