General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carbs, carbs, carbs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-02 7:37 AM

Regular
Lancaster Pa
Subject: Carbs, carbs, carbs
Can anyone tell me what percentage of my diet should be coming from carbs? I've seen so much conflicting information and I'm ready to pull my hair out! I am currently working out 4 times a week or more for a at least 40 minutes each time. I try to get a workout in 6 days a week. I am 30 years old, 5'3'', 121 lbs. I have been counting calories and I am trying to get down to about 116-118 lbs and I am stuck! I've tried limiting my calories especially on days that I don't do anything. I've restricted myself on non-workout days to 1500 cals. My basal rate is somewhere around 1300 cals. I read something about a 33/33/33 diet where 33% comes from fat, 33% carbs and 33% from protien. That fat content seems so high! Can anyone give me some good solid direction. I am headed into my second year as a triathlete and would like to improve a bit.

Thanks!

Ann

2005-04-02 7:47 AM
in reply to: #137088

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Carbs, carbs, carbs
If you check out reliable nutrition websites (fitday.com is one...) They typically recommend that 45-55% of your diet come from carbs, 20-30 from protein and the balance from fat. If you're training, I'd go on the high side of carbs and protein and low side of fat.

At least that's what I aim for. I usually miss
2005-04-02 8:12 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
From everything that I've read, it seems that one school of thought is that 40% carbs/30% protein/30% fat is a good place to start. Other materials lists 60% carbs/15% protein/25% fat (or close to that) as the right ratios. I tried the higher carb/low protein stuff and had never felt more sluggish. Of course, I'm also trying to build as much muscle mass as I can, so that may be why it didn't work for me. I've mostly been using with the 40/30/30 ratios with a good bit of success. As long as you aren't stuffing transfats into you like they are going out of style tomorrow, 30% fat really isn't that bad. Get your fats from things like oily fish (salmon, tuna) or nuts and you're getting some good stuff (plus, excellent quality protein).

Here's a typical day of what I eat (March 18th):
Breakfast:
Protein shake, dried fruit, yogurt, granola cereal, cottage cheese

Snack 1:
snack bar

Lunch:
Peanut butter/Nutella sandwich on multigrain bread, mozzarella cheese

Snack 2:
snack bar, protein shake

Dinner:
Ham, potato, grape juice

Plus, daily multivitamins, and water all day long (about a cup every hour at work and a few cups at home in the evening). And usually 16 oz of water per hour of working out.

That's about 3500 calories, and as close to 40/30/30 as usually get. I hate to cheese-out, but you'll have to try a few things (give them about 2 weeks to see what your body really thinks of it) before you find what really works for you.

Some notes about fats... Polyunsaturated fats (corn, safflower, soybean) are thought to low cholesterol. Monounsaturated fats (avocado, olives, olive oil, nuts) are also thought to positively influence health. You body can use all of these fats to make fatty acids. Then you have your essential fatty acids. They are very important to your health, but your body can't make them on it's own. You can get Omega 3's from fish (tuna, salmon) and Omega 6's from nuts and seeds. See? Fat is gooood

I would recommend you pick up a copy of Gale Berhardt's "The Female Cyclist - Gearing up a level" (the information on fats that I posted above came from there). I got a copy of it for Wifey and ended up reading it myself too. I would also recommend Chris Carmichael's book "Food for Fitness" - I found that his ratios and quantities didn't quite work for me, but there is soooo much great information in there about how our bodies use everything we eat. Definitely a book that belongs in every athelete's library. I hope that helps.

-Frank
2005-04-02 10:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Salem, MA
I would also emphasize the importance of fruit and vegetables, which are a little low on scuba-punk's eating plan. Veggies like carrots, spring mix greens, spinach, tomatoes, kale, broccoli raab, etc. are chock-full of antioxidants and Vitamin A and are very important to your overall health. What's even better is that fruits and veggies are loaded with fiber. Fiber makes you feel fuller and more satisfied for longer, reducing the urge to snack or overeat. Other veggies are a bit more starchy and cross the border into carbohydrates, but they should still be included in your diet as part of your healthy carbs because of their intense quantities of nurtrients: sweet potatoes, squash.

The carbs you do eat should always be as close to whole-grain as possible, so look for whole wheat breads and pastas, and incorporate whole grains like quinoa, flaxseed, and brown rice into your diet as much as possible. They are higher in protein and the carbs they provide break down more slowly and contain more fiber, preventing your body from getting sudden glycemic highs and lows. White breads, bagels, white pasta and rice are essentially junk foods -- they do have vitamins added in, but they contain few other nutrients and so are mostly empty calories. You'll do better to get your vitamins through a supplement and eat whole grains.

You may not need to reduce your calories on the days you don't work out. I'd recommend keeping your intake roughly the same from day to day. Your body doesn't know the difference from one day to another; it isn't burning what you just ate, it's burning the available fuel from the last few days first, and then going into your fat stores as a deficit occurs. But more importantly, the day after every big workout your body needs to draw nutrients, especially proteins, to repair the tiny muscle tears that working out causes. This is how you build muscle, and hence burn more calories later on. Keep your body well nourished each day without overeating, and you'll see results over time. Remember, we didn't put on extra weight in a few quick weeks, and it's not going to come off super-fast either. It takes patience - just keep doing everything right, and you will see results!
2005-04-02 1:51 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Good call Miko. On most days I usually take an apple, an orange, a banana and a couple cups of baby spinach in my lunchbox (my randomly selected day didn't reflect that too well, sorry). But yes, fiber is important too. Fruits and veggies are a better source of fiber than Metamucil - that was kind of a "junk food" day I picked a day at the end of the week before the weekly grocery trip...

-Frank

Edited by scuba-punk 2005-04-02 1:53 PM
2005-04-02 2:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Salem, MA
Glad to hear it! I was a little worried about your getting Ricketts or something!

2005-04-02 7:46 PM
in reply to: #137096

Regular
Lancaster Pa
I'm having a difficult time eating more than 1500 calories a day! I feel like I eat all the time! I'm only eating good stuff! How do you fit it all in?
2005-04-02 8:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Salem, MA
Athletes DO eat all the time. 3 small meals and 3 healthy snacks a day is norma
l--it'seven a good idea.. It does feel like a lot at first -- But it's how you get all your nutrients and still keep from overeating. Ironically, by eating smaller servings more often, you prevent yourself from overating at meals and binging on junk food. You're so full from high-quality food that you don't even want the bad stuff.
2005-04-07 8:55 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
It took me about 2 weeks to go from 1800 calories a day to 3500 and feel comfortable with it. I even put a couple of pounds on in the process, but they came right off once my body adjusted. Miko's right though, I end up eating about 5 or 6 "meals" and sometimes my morning snack lasts all morning Meaning that I have certain things set aside for that meal and just pick at them for a couple of hours instead of trying to eat it all in 5 minutes. Lots of little meals also keep your metabolism stoked more evenly through out the day too (no afternoon nap-crash).

Plan, plan, plan, plan, plan, plan... Your nutrition is just as much an important part of your training regimen as are your runs, rides and swims (and weights too).

-Frank
2005-04-07 9:35 AM

I think a good rule of thumb would be to look on the labels of your lower carb products (example cheese or eggs) and stay under 7-8 grams of fat per serving. I think when you start climbing to the 10-15 grams of fat per serving mark, you'll start noticing that your weight will "stall." The Zone is a pretty good overall "diet," although I don't think you should follow a "diet," per se. But, the key to it all is watching your portions, and allowing yourself like 40% protein, 40% fats and 20% carbs per meal (fist size potions, I believe is what the Zone teaches too)...something like that. It's been a while since I've read about that diet, but if you keep your fats, as "good fats" (1/2 cup raw nuts, slice of cheese, hb egg, etc...) then you shouldn't stall or gain. AND REMEMBER--THE SCALE IS JUST ONE WAY TO MEASURE FITNESS. It actually doesn't measure fitness at all, really...it just measures "weight." Your weight fluctuations could be caused by water retention, stress, muscle growth...etc...

Professional body builders for example can weight a lot (in comparison to non weight lifters who are thin), but have in the single digit body fat percentages!! So...there's proof that just weighing yourself isn't enough to gauge if you're doing well or poorly on a diet. I mean, obviously if you're gaining 5 pounds a week, and your diet consists of McDonald's and pizza...there might be a good indication that your diet needs some tweaking. But, you know what I mean.

For me, upping my exercise intensity and duration by just 10 minutes each workout, has helped me to lose. It's a work in progress....but I hope I've helped. Good luck!
2005-04-07 9:37 AM
in reply to: #139255

Woah..there are a lot of typos in that email. I didn't feel like editing...sorry.

2005-04-07 10:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Salem, MA
I'm always cautious about advising athletes to reduce carbs, though. People who are active need more carbohydrates, not less, since they convert most readily to glycogen, which supplies energy for muscle acitivity. The Atkins crazed worked well for a time for sedentary people, but can sap the energy of active people.

The distinction that it helps to make is to differntiate the quality of the carbohydrates - leaning toward complex carbohydrates (fruits and veg, whole grain bread, pasta, rice, oatmeal, etc) and away from simple ones (sugars, refined white flour products, potatoes, white rice). Whole grain carbohydrates contain lots of protein and fiber and make a tremendous difference in your diet.
2005-04-08 8:06 AM
in reply to: #139720

Miko - 2005-04-07 10:04 PM

I'm always cautious about advising athletes to reduce carbs, though. People who are active need more carbohydrates, not less, since they convert most readily to glycogen, which supplies energy for muscle acitivity. The Atkins crazed worked well for a time for sedentary people, but can sap the energy of active people.

The distinction that it helps to make is to differntiate the quality of the carbohydrates - leaning toward complex carbohydrates (fruits and veg, whole grain bread, pasta, rice, oatmeal, etc) and away from simple ones (sugars, refined white flour products, potatoes, white rice). Whole grain carbohydrates contain lots of protein and fiber and make a tremendous difference in your diet.

I agree with you on your last sentence. Good carbs is the key. But, I think there is a myth lurking out there that low carb means bacon, eggs and cheese (and the like)....at every meal. It's just not so. One can eat very healthy by including healthy carbs, such as whole grains, veggies and fruit. I think the high "energy" bars though are bad. They are loaded with sugars that just are not necessary for athletes or anyone. (same with Gatorade, etc...) Our bodies shouldn't constantly be on an insulin "high." And your body will produce more insulin, no matter what your weight and fitness level is, if it's constantly "fed" sugar. Steadying blood sugar by a well balanced intake of proteins, carbs and fats is a good rule of thumb for all people, I've read.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carbs, carbs, carbs Rss Feed