General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor Trainer Ride and Seriously Sore Legs Muscles? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-28 12:41 AM

Expert
Subject: Indoor Trainer Ride and Seriously Sore Legs Muscles?
I rode on an indoor trainer for the very first time yesterday for an 1 hour and 10 mins and today my legs have just ached and been sore all day (mainly my quads at the front of my upper leg).

This is the 1st time I've done cycling in about a month, since I've had a few injuries.

Is this normal for a trainer ride? Because I haven't cycled for a while? Or because I must have gone too hard on the trainer?

I did a 1+ hour swim this morning and it felt fine but just walking around and sitting up and down my quads are quite sore.

Thanks.

2009-04-28 5:46 AM
in reply to: #2114605

User image

Subject: RE: Indoor Trainer Ride and Seriously Sore Legs Muscles?
It's normal. You don't get a chance to change up your position near as often on the trainer as you do outside. Might also have to do with not riding for a month as well.

Give it a few months, it gets better
2009-04-28 6:51 AM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Most likely just the month off.  I find I really have to push myself hard on the trainer to get as sore as I do after a good long outdoor ride
2009-04-28 7:21 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
supa-powa - 2009-04-28 12:41 AM I rode on an indoor trainer for the very first time yesterday for an 1 hour and 10 mins and today my legs have just ached and been sore all day (mainly my quads at the front of my upper leg). This is the 1st time I've done cycling in about a month, since I've had a few injuries. Is this normal for a trainer ride? Because I haven't cycled for a while? Or because I must have gone too hard on the trainer? I did a 1+ hour swim this morning and it felt fine but just walking around and sitting up and down my quads are quite sore. Thanks.
probably a mix of those two
2009-04-28 7:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Haven't trained in a month and you jumped on the indoor trainer for over an hour.  Seems like a sudden jump up.  Personally I wouldn't have started for such a long workout, but cycling is pretty forgiving.  It's pretty hard to get the exact same position on a trainer as out on the road, so the subtle differences can be hard on your body.  Quad pain seems to work out pretty quickly as long as its in the main body of the quad and not the Rectus Femoris or the Sartorious.   Those are two joint muscles and are more susceptible to injury.  If they get real tight they can pull on your anterior hip region and or the inside of your knee.

I'd get back on the trainer and do a real easy spin for about 10 - 20 minutes at a time until the pain works itself out.  Make sure and keep your hamstrings and hip stretched out.
2009-04-28 8:09 AM
in reply to: #2114812

User image

Expert
NeilsWheel - 2009-04-28 8:39 AM Haven't trained in a month and you jumped on the indoor trainer for over an hour.  Seems like a sudden jump up.  Personally I wouldn't have started for such a long workout, but cycling is pretty forgiving.  It's pretty hard to get the exact same position on a trainer as out on the road, so the subtle differences can be hard on your body.  Quad pain seems to work out pretty quickly as long as its in the main body of the quad and not the Rectus Femoris or the Sartorious.   Those are two joint muscles and are more susceptible to injury.  If they get real tight they can pull on your anterior hip region and or the inside of your knee.

I'd get back on the trainer and do a real easy spin for about 10 - 20 minutes at a time until the pain works itself out.  Make sure and keep your hamstrings and hip stretched out.

x2...I've lost my knee and hip pain since remembering, ever so ofen, to exaggerate dipping my heel down on the pedal strokes, since I normally tend to pedal with my heels slightly up.  The stretch I get by sometimes dipping the heels just made all the odd pains go away.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor Trainer Ride and Seriously Sore Legs Muscles? Rss Feed