FIRM Racing
66F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 58m 25s
Overall Rank = 235/498
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/?
Pre-race routine:

I didn't know I was going to do this race until the last minute so instead of Weight Watchers breakfast sandwiches (1 every two hours or so - 200 calories each) I made due with mini whole wheat bagels and peanut butter on the same time/calorie table. I did the Gaiam ball for stretch 15 minutes the night before. Woke up at 5 and was out the door and running by 5:15 so I ate on the road (slowly), drank coffee made with chocolate milk, made one potty stop (thank you, GPS system!) and arrived an hour early to the race.
Event warmup:

I set up, registered, socialized for calmness, jogged around for about 5-10 minutes, stretched and ate caffeinated jelly beans about 15 minutes before the race started. This was tough because MY actual start was about an 45 minutes to an hour after that! I also simply felt the water temp. rather than jumping in (limited time) and continued to blab to whoever would have me so I wouldn't get nervy.
Swim
  • 07m 32s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

People had admittedly put in shorter times than they expected for some odd reason...I guess last year people did this also and there is some sort of chain reaction effect. The effect on me was that I had to pass 5 or 6 people. I felt fast b/c of this but it slowed me down and I purposely had to swim into a sort of punch in the face to get by one guy who was blocking. Another guy was backstroking on the wrong side of the lane! Overall I felt great about the swim, and what's a punch in the face anyway...Happy Mother's Day to me! I felt great about the fact that I learned from my previous mistake of not kicking off the walls as far, tightening my pants (!) and being able to flip-turn and kick off diagonally under the lane dividers.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe put in a slightly lower time to avoid some of the slower folks?
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

I feel this transition was fast. I'm guessing a bit with actual time as FIRM combines T1 with bike time and T2 with run time.

Nothing, really. I was glad I rolled my socks. Much quicker. Maybe get Yankz! for biking shoes?
Bike
  • 25m 33s
  • 7 miles
  • 16.44 mile/hr
Comments:

I was pushing myself most of the time. Sometimes I felt I had more power than needed but no higher gear. I'm going to see my bike buddy about this.

I would love to learn more about my bike and the mechanics involved. I think my bike got knocked down as it was in a diff. position when I came back and one of the handlebars looks wonky.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Again with the guessing of the transition time...but an onlooker commented "that was a good/fast transition"..so I'm thinking maybe it was good and fast ;)

I would love to have a real time for my transitions but never think to push.that.darn.button.just.once.on.my.Garmin!
Run
  • 22m 29s
  • 2.3 miles
  • 09m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I had to stop and stretch twice because of my darn left shoulder! Ah, well. I still met my goal.

Nothing. I could not have tried harder. This is truly my best.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and stretched a lot. Getting to know some of the vendors. I really like these FIRM races. Ate crackers and cheese. YUM

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Perhaps that I limited myself to a bit less than 5 hours of sleep the previous night because of a social event I felt I needed to attend.

Event comments:

I had a great time and tried my hardest. That's a winning combo. IMO.

Last updated: 2009-05-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:32 | 400 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/?
Overall: 157/498
Performance: Good
This includes getting out of the pool and running to the timing mat. It may also include T1?
Suit: BT Long Shorts + Jagged Top
Course: Pool, up and down 8 lanes (fun!) Staggered starts (15 sec)...I think 20 seconds (like last week's race) would have been better.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:25:33 | 07 miles | 16.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/?
Overall: 184/498
pulled 2 min from this official time for possible T1
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Windy! Fun. Some hills...but not bad at all.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:29 | 02.3 miles | 09m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/?
Overall: 319/498
Performance: Average
I took a minute off for the above transition. I met a real goal here...mile pace was under 10 minutes! Hooray! Hooray! I thought this day would never come. Now, if I could just do the same for a 3-mile course... (next time!)
Course: Flat. Some onlookers yelling "you're almost there" when I was only half-way there...nice to be encouraged regardless :) This sport is awesome! Water provided by nice folks but with kids riding their bikes all around the water station!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-11 12:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Sudbury Spring Sprint

2009-05-11 1:23 PM
in reply to: #2143589

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY
Subject: RE: Sudbury Spring Sprint

Great job Grace - you did REALLY well in all 3!!  What a way to spend Mother's Day, huh?

Again, way to go!!

2009-05-11 1:38 PM

Regular
Newport Beach
Great job, Grace.  Thanks for the report.  I'm glad you got to race and raced well. 
2009-05-11 1:46 PM

User image

Wakefield
Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sudbury Spring Sprint Rss Feed