General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Junk food junkie Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-12 11:13 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: Junk food junkie
Hi I'm Andy and I'm a junk food junkie...(Hi Andy) ...

Normally I am pretty good at keeping my craving under control but today was just flat out ugly. My wife had a major chocolate craving last night so I couldn't resist picking up a bag of almond M&M's for myself, so this morning I throw them in my bag and bring them to work. Once there they called my name and I ended up eating the whole bag by 11:00am (great breakfast) after my lunch run the snack machine vendor was loading up the machine with the most my worse vice Tasty Cakes. I ended uphaving two packages of chocolate cupcakes. Then tonight my son had his spring concert so per tradition we hit Dairly Quueen afterwards for a blizzard and a dipped cone. At least I had a second workout tonight ( and had lots of extra energy) and the downright funny part was after all that junk food today, I actually lost a pound. Please someone snap me out of this!!!

2009-05-12 11:29 PM
in reply to: #2147400

User image

Subject: RE: Junk food junkie
You my brother from another mother???  Recently got off a nice little junk food jag myself.  Just gotta say no, as Nancy R used to say
2009-05-13 10:26 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Are you old enough to remember this?

You know I love that organic cooking
I always ask for more
And they call me Mr. Natural
On down to the health food store
I only eat good sea salt
White sugar don't touch my lips
And my friends is always
Begging me to take them
On macrobiotic trips
Yes, they are
Oh, but at night I stake out my strongbox
That I keep under lock and key
And I take it off to my closet
Where nobody else can see
I open that door so slowly
Take a peek up north and south
Then I pull out a Hostess Twinkie
And I pop it in my mouth
Yeah, in the daytime I'm Mr. Natural
Just as healthy as I can be
But at night I'm a junk food junkie
Good lord have pity on me
Well, at lunchtime
You can always find me
At the Whole Earth Vitamin Bar
Just sucking on my plain white yogurt
From my hand thrown pottery jar
And sippin' a little hand pressed cider
With a carrot stick for dessert
And wiping my face
In a natural way
On the sleeve of my peasant shirt
Oh yeah
Ah, but when that clock strikes midnight
And I'm all by myself
I work that combination
On my secret hideaway shelf
And I pull out some Fritos corn chips
Dr. Pepper and an Ole Moon Pie
Then I sit back in glorious expectation
Of a genuine junk food high
Oh yeah, in the daytime I'm Mr. Natural
My friends down at the commune
They think I'm pretty neat
Oh, I don't know nothing about arts and crafts
But I give 'em all something to eat
I'm a friend to old Euell Gibbons
And I only eat homegrown spice
I got a John Keats autographed Grecian urn
Filled up with my brown rice
Yes, I do
Oh, but folks lately I have been spotted
With a Big Mac on my breath
Stumbling into a Colonel
Sanders
With a face as white as death
I'm afraid someday they'll find me
Just stretched out on my bed
With a handful of Pringles Potato Chips
And a Ding Dong by my head
In the daytime I'm Mr. Natural

2009-05-13 11:12 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Start logging everything you eat. Once you see how your diet is balanced out... Carbs/Fat/Protein, you MIGHT be more inclined to make healthy food choices.

Of course, I'm the girl who has eaten a slice of chocolate cake and cheesecake in the past 3 days. Along with pigging out on various other items eating out.

2009-05-13 11:31 AM

Take it from a semi-reformed junk food junkie that has lost over 100 pounds, and kept it off for 5 years, don't beat yourself up if you go off the "healthy diet" wagon once in a while. It all comes down to calories burned vs. calories taken in over the long haul.

While a grilled chicken breast with veggies and some whole wheat bread may be a better coice for lunch, sometimes a Snickers candy bar is something your just have to have. The calories are about the same and it won't hurt you if you don't make it a habit or decide to eat both.

Portion control is the key to sucessful weight loss and control. I had to remind myself not to eat like I had ridden 100 miles when I had ridden only 30 even if it was the right stuff.
2009-05-13 11:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pittsburgh
I have discovered that I have two choices:  Eat a tiny amount of junk food (small square of chocolate, or a few potato chips) as a daily indulgence, OR be very good and abstain from all junk food for weeks on end, only to go on a week-long binge and make myself sick.  A little treat every once in a while is good for your mental health and keeps you from feeling deprived IMO, and then you're less likely to go on a junk-food binge

2009-05-13 11:57 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
I am soooo with you! I heart junk!! Today i bought a tray of butter tarts and i fully intend to eat two before the workday is done.   I have gotten much better though in the last few months:

1. I spent a month logging just the junk I ate/drank right here in my BT log.  Once I knew I was doing that I knew i would cut back. I still had very few junk free days and it's a little embarassing.

2. Packing a lunch and lots of healthy snacks. If i eat just about all of it before lunch I can get through the afternoon without needing any junk in the afternoon.

Though, honestly, I do really still like to 'treat' myself and I see nothing wrong with enjoying especially when on the balance of things I eat healthful meals and have a high activity level.
2009-05-13 12:01 PM

User image

Master
PA
LOL.  Until very recently I ate a higher protein, lower carb diet.  Super tight 6 days/wk.  And then there was appropriately named Fat Sat (Fat Saturday).  And it meant it.  Wings, sticky buns, pizza, sundaes.  And this was once a week!  And I lost 19 lbs in 8 weeks doing that.  The good news is I realized what a drug food is....b/c I felt like total crap on Fat Sat.  It was hugely psychologically satisfying, but I felt horrible...tired & lethargic. 
2009-05-13 12:04 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
I did a sprint on Sunday in my hometown( 2hr drive from where I live now)....After it was over I went to my parents house and ate KFC. On the drive home, stopped and got my kids/wfie some junk food, as well as some ketchup chips for me(my weakness)...Literally Sunday night, I thought I was going to throw up! What a great way to learn how our bodies operate!
2009-05-13 12:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Crossville, TN
Yesterday during lunch I stopped by the Dollar Store and picked up a "healthy" bag of trail mix...a sweet blend of roasted peanuts, cashews, almonds, raisins and chocolate...per the label. As I was eating I noted "this is pretty good." After the bag was empty I noticed on the label it was a 12 serving size bag...I only found 1 serving myself...140 calories per serving. That's only 1680 cals for the whole bag. Good thing I had a 6 mile run planned for last night. After the run I was famished so...1/2 pizza was waiting for me at home. I love being a triathlete with hollow legs!!!!
2009-05-13 2:30 PM
in reply to: #2148500

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

TerryW - 2009-05-13 12:14 PM Yesterday during lunch I stopped by the Dollar Store and picked up a "healthy" bag of trail mix...a sweet blend of roasted peanuts, cashews, almonds, raisins and chocolate...per the label. As I was eating I noted "this is pretty good." After the bag was empty I noticed on the label it was a 12 serving size bag...I only found 1 serving myself...140 calories per serving. That's only 1680 cals for the whole bag. Good thing I had a 6 mile run planned for last night. After the run I was famished so...1/2 pizza was waiting for me at home. I love being a triathlete with hollow legs!!!!

Girl Scout cookies are the same way!  

On an unrelated note, any of you notice that a 20-oz bottle of water contains 2.5 8-oz "servings"?   

2009-05-13 2:49 PM
in reply to: #2148162

User image

McFuzz - 2009-05-13 11:26 AM

Are you old enough to remember this?

The first thing I thought of when I read the title

I snack occasionally. If I don't I'll binge and it's a while before my weight settles back down. I just keep it to a dull roar and it's not all that tempting to go wild.
2009-05-13 2:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
I am right on the tail end of my peak training before I begin a taper for my first "A" race of the season on Sunday...while my workout intensity is at and all time high and I feel really "dailed in"...I'm also eating Snickers bars like crazy.  I get hungry between meals and there is a snack machine near my desk.  I can hear it calling me now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2009-05-13 3:05 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
I made a batch of peanut butter/oatmeal with pb/chocolate chip cookies last weekend before my half marathon.  Now i've got about half of the batch left and only trying to eat one a day, but then again I also just bought a box of strawberry milkshake oreo double stuffs too, those will be hard to resist. 
2009-05-13 3:21 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO
Yesterday was my birthday so I stopped at a local bakery and bought not 1 but 2 cupcakes to enjoy.  At least I waited until after my 5.5 mile run.  Oh and I had veggies, hummus and rosemary & balsamic potato chips for dinner. 

I was safe from the vending machine here at work which rarely got filled and only with peanut m&ms which aren't my thing and then last weekend someone else took it over and started filling it.  My plan is to try not to have any change or singles with me so I can't buy anything.  But those Chex Mix Turtle Bars are calling my name. 
2009-05-13 3:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio
Come work at my hospital; the CEO banned junk food in the vending machines.  Now you can have oh-so-tasty BBQ'ed cardboard soy crisps, or half a handful of unsalted peanuts.  There's not a single M&M to be found in this joint. 

2009-05-13 5:54 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
A slice of strawberry/banana whipped cream birthday cake and 1 Greek cookie on Sunday...a 1/3lb BBQ brisket sandwich with a side of mac & cheese AND corn on the cob on Monday...and a slice of cheesecake at work on Tuesday...ughhhhhh!  Finally a chance to get back on track today. 

On a related note...my hubby has been on his own "diet" for the past 2 months -  it's the "Snickers bar a day" diet...LOL   Not kidding here...he's been eating 1 Snickers bar every single day since the beginning of April!!!  To be fair though...he's tall, skinny, and has the metabolism of Michael Phelps....so he can afford to eat a Snickers bar every day.  I, on the otherhand...cannot. 
2009-05-13 6:42 PM

User image

Master
NJ

I just ate rainbow sprinkles out of the container. Lots of them. Not particularly yummy but just wanted the sugar, I guess. No icecream involved.

2009-05-13 8:20 PM

User image

McDonalds...I could bathe in the stuff.

Why does it have to make me feel like crap?
2009-05-13 10:28 PM

Just buy good stuff that way when you're hungry and you're home you only eat healthy foods. Also always carry healthy snacks in your sport bags (almonds, dried blueberries, ...) so that in case you need a quick boost of energy and you're tempted to go eat some junk, just reach in your bag and you can have a healthy treat to calm your hunger down!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Junk food junkie Rss Feed