View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
Total Time = 2h 12m 59s
Overall Rank = 19/1327
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/134
Pre-race routine:

This was a later start and since I was the last freakin wave I got to sleep in a little. Woke up at 5:00am and had a bagle with Coke Zero to get me going. Bike was already at transition so headed down to the race and got my tranistion all set up. Now with transition set up I'd have an hour and a half at least before my wave would go out.
Event warmup:

I waited until the absolute last minute to go stretch and go for a quick run to get loose. I just needed to make sure I had enough time to warmup and get back into transition before it closed.

They don't let you in the water for a warmup swim so I grabbed my wetsuit and swim stuff and went to sit in the shade while ALL the other waves went out.
Swim
  • 24m 36s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

I hate starting the swiwm without any swim warmup. It's just much harder for me to get into a rhythm. I knew it would take me a while to settle in which it did. I decided to start out on the far left to see if I could get some clean water. Problem was I started a little too far left and may have added 40M as a result because I took the first turn pretty wide. Once I got around the first turn I got into a great rhythm. With about 400M to go a guy passed me but we ended up swimming side by side for a while. I figured I'd let him go ahead and draft him for the last 400M. If I pushed it I might finish a few seconds ahead of him but I figured I'd conserve the energy.

Except for the first turn I'm pretty happy with this swim. It's always much nicer swimming with the wetsuit. :-)
Transition 1
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

Real happy with this transition. It's a long run from the water to your bike and then from your bike to the mount line. No problem getting my wetsuit off. Put my sunglasses on, put my helmet on and I was running to mount line. I had my shoes on my bike and was able to get my feet in them much better than the first time I tried it a couple weeks ago at The Rookie.

What would you do differently?:

Real happy with this transition as it was the 2nd fastest in my age group and the person that had a faster T1 was only 1 second faster.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 4s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 24.02 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't feel great the first lap but settled in nicely for laps 2-4. I felt like I never went all out on the bike as I wanted to leave something for the run. I had one guy pass me on the bike and he ended up winning our age group. BUT, that one guy that passed me, Bib #827 was a real a--hole. He was passing people on the right, then swurving back left to pass people there only to go back around people on the right. I don't know if 827 is a BTer but if you're reading this you have to learn how to ride a bike. Had he he just clipped someones wheel we would've all been done.

I admit I constantly yell "on your left" when I'm riding as I at least want to warn people I'm coming. I don't yell to be a jerk, I'm just trying to be safe. I also have to confess I was yelling at 827 and calling him an a--hole because he needs to learn how to ride.

I'll be the first to admit this bike course is very packed but passing on the right when riders are 3-4 deep is just asking for trouble.

I'm happy with this ride. Pushed hard enough to have good speed but left plenty in the tank for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

I'm guessing this is my T2 time. Once again my chip did not pick up my transition. 1:50 would be the 2nd fastest transtion in my age group so I figure this is a good round number.

Got out of my shoes on the bike. Racked bike. Put shoes and hat on. Grabbed race belt and I was off.
Run
  • 41m 59s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

This is my best guess at my running time since the official time also includes my T1. It's possible I was faster than this if my T2 was longer than I thought. Initially, I was disappointed with my run time when I saw it because I felt like I had a better run. Then when I saw it included T2 I was happier.

As for the run, I changed my nutrition strategy as I've battled side stitches the last couple Olympics after taking a Gu with 30 minutes left on the bike. I decided I just can't digest food at this heart rate. So I figured for a 2 hour race I'd just take Gatorade on the bike and water on the run. This strategy worked well for me.

I felt strong right out of transition, but at mile 3 I started to feel that ugly feeling that is a cramp in my right hamstring. I had to back off a little and shorten my strides. I knew I was one wrong step away from having to stop to work it out. The change in stride along with grabbing as much water as possible at all the stations worked and the twinge started to go away.

I wasn't sure where I was in my age group coming off the bike but I knew I was close to placing. I passed a couple in my age group in the first 2 miles but then didn't see anyone else until mile 4. He was running at a decent pace but I was pushing to catch him. He stopped for fluids at the aid station and I ran by him. I knew he wouldn't catch me. The next 40-44 I saw was with about a mile to go on the Congress bridge. I passed him and he yelled at me to finish strong and I knew I'd leave him behind as well because there was no way I was letting up the last mile.

As it turns out the last 2 guys I passed finished 3 and 4 in my age group and I beat them by 17 and 31 seconds.

Again, I'm happy with the run. I had to back off a little bit when I started feeling the cramp coming on but I think this was a pretty decent run.
Post race
Warm down:

Just grabbed pizza and Gatorade and hung out for a while. I guess the only advantage of being the last wave is you don't have to wait to get back into transition.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was my 2nd CapTex. The first year was rained out and last year I had just come off injury and only had 3 weeks of training prior to the race. Although I was injured again November - January I was able to get 3 solid months of training in prior to the race. My base is defintely there with the IM training I did last year and it's good to see progress in all 3 disciplines.

Event comments:

I've only done this race 2 years now but it has yet to start on time. The website was never up to date and had multiple versions of wave times. The venue is absolutely great but it comes with a price. The bike course is brutally packed and they really need to have some marshalls out there as everyone rides to the left, and you already know about people passing on the right.

I doubt I'll be doing this race next year as I'm not sure I'll be fully recovered from IM St George. I'm hoping I'll need to be getting fully recovered after St George so that I can get ready for another IM in October. :-)

Last updated: 2009-05-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:36 | 1500 meters | 01m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 15/134
Overall: 150/1327
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:27
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:02:04 | 24.85 miles | 24.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/134
Overall: 19/1327
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:41:59 | 06.21 miles | 06m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/134
Overall: 0/1327
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-05-26 11:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: Capital of Texas Triathlon

2009-05-26 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2173174

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Capital of Texas Triathlon
Great race! Very fast splits all the way around. Guys like 827 need to just chill. It is still supposed to be fun and wrecking is not.
2009-05-26 4:48 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Great race.  We were in the same wave.

I would politely tell people to move right when the were cruising in the middle of the road and then thank them for moving.

I yelled at a guy passing on the right.  He would sprint up the right and then sit up for a bit, then repeat.  Really not necessary.  He eventually blew up and he was on a relay team.

I love the course but the bike is very dangerous.  I always kept an eye on people as you nver knew when someone was going to pull a crazy Ivan and cut across the road.
2009-05-26 5:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Ya, it is a dangerous bike course. I don't claim to be perfect but I also try to thank people as they move over so I can pass on the left.
2009-05-26 7:58 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
I saw some weavers as well...thankfully no one went down because of it! Awesome race and way to kick it at the end--it's always better to be on the "beating someone" by a few seconds rather than being "beat" by a few! Awesome!
2009-05-26 10:15 PM
in reply to: #2173603

User image

Pro
Texas
mcbill98 - 2009-05-26 1:59 PM

Great race! Very fast splits all the way around. Guys like 827 need to just chill. It is still supposed to be fun and wrecking is not.

LOL, 827 is a friend of mine. He's good people and he's a pretty laid-back guy. If you hang out with him, you'll change your mind about him. I'm not saying he should be weaving between people, but I will say that he's more adept on the bike than most people and he prizes his ride like one of his children. Next time you see him at a race, go say hi to him. He's about the easiest person to talk to you'll ever run into.

2009-05-27 3:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Rick great race out there on Monday!!! Solid splits in all three disciplines. Sorry that you had to wait for the last wave that is not fun. Especially when it starts to heat up, and then the run is always that much warmer too.

That bike course is crazy, and it makes it worse when you have folks riding like madmen out there. I wish they would lengthen the loops like The Austin Tri course, Maybe that would help a little? That bike and the wait to start are the reasons I opted out of CAPTEX this year.

Anyhow great race again, and I like the way you think about IMSG next year!!! I will be rooting for you to get that second IM!!!
2009-05-27 7:51 AM
in reply to: #2174650

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Hey, he was fast as hell on the bike and obviously just as fast on the run. It was just scary the way he weaved in and out. Tell him to lay back a little on the bike and not weave in and out because he's plenty fast. :-)
2009-05-27 9:15 AM

Hey Rick, good race.
I didn't mean to you off. Crowded course out there. I felt like I was taking a calculated risk when I passed on the right. I hope you noticed that there was no room on the left when I passed. If there was, then my mistake. But I'm racing, just like you are, and there's a lot of bikes riding slower than we were. I'm doing St George next year too, but a two loop 56 mile course will have me on my best behaviour. Are you racing Buffalo Springs next month? If so, I'll see you out there. Again, good race Rick.

Jeff Bennett
2009-05-27 9:42 AM

User image

Texas Hill Country
Congrats on a great race.

Ditto on the bike course. I was in M40-44 but nowhere that fast. Nonetheless, its really tough to pass on the left with mountain bikers riding abreast across the whole lane. So I had to pass on the left at times to avoid hitting the brakes. Luckily, as I recall, this was only necessary once coming down Congress at 30+!
2009-05-27 10:45 AM
in reply to: #2175217

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Jeff, love your username. :-) Welcome to BT. :-)

I absolutely noticed there was no room. There were times I was passing on the left and had to cross the center line because people were riding all the way to the left even with nobody beside them. I could only imagine what it would've looked like hitting another bike head on. So, I guess I can understand your calculated risk passing on the right.

St George should be a great course. Lots of hills which will cut out drafting and should spread people out. Have you done any IM's in the past? I'm glad you won't be in my age group next year because I'd be racing you for a Kona slot. :-)

Haven't registered yet for Buffalo Springs because I wasn't sure I'd be ready just coming off injury. I have to be in Lubbock anyhow for my son's baseball so I think I'll just go ahead and do it. It's always better to be undertrained than overtrained anyhow. :-)

Good race, you were too fast for me.

2009-05-27 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2175616

Hey Rick, thanks.
I hope your injury will allow you to race Buffalo Springs. Especially since you'll be in Lubbock anyway. I'm excited about St George too. The course looks tough. I did Couer d Alene in 2007 and had a good race, (10:35) but I'm looking to improve on it in Utah.
I'll look for you in Lubbock. I'm on the black Griffen with painted flames.
Take care.

Jeff
2009-05-27 4:55 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Wow so that blur was YOU when you flew by me??? I wondered. Nice race man!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon Rss Feed