General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to Tri in Tennessee Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-03 12:33 PM

User image

New user

Subject: New to Tri in Tennessee

Hey to the group,

I am new to Trisports and was wandering if anyone could help me with a program and or just general knowledge? 

Finished the CMM back in April and have completed my recovery program. I can Bike for an hour and run for more but other than swimming for fun have never done much swimming. Can any one offer some help or suggestions? I was hoping to be able to do a Sprint Tri as a Beginner before the summer ends but am totally intimidated by the swimming.

I am from the Manchester, Tn. area. Any help would be greatly appreciated, 1965 model but I still can start in the morning, well most mornings anyway..........

2009-06-03 12:58 PM
in reply to: #2192186

User image

Veteran
Memphis, TN
Subject: RE: New to Tri in Tennessee
Welcome.  If you've done a marathon and can ride for an hour there is no reason you shouldn't be able to do a sprint.  I did a web search and you've got a lap pool in Manchester:

Manchester Recreation Complex
557 North Woodland St.
P.O. Box 776
Manchester, TN  37349
Ph: (931) 728-0273

I'd call them and see if they have a masters swim class you can join.  Don't let the masters part worry you.  It's just a class that meets and does swimming drills 2-3 times a week.  Usually their is a coach there to give advise and several swimmers with different levels of experience.

Then, go to this website and sign up for your first tri: http://www.startriathlon.com/default.htm.  It's a short pool swim, 200 yards, 14 mile bike and a 5k.  THis way you are committing yourself to do it and it's in your own backyard.  It's not until September and you probably could be ready for one in Mid-July if you start swimming now. 

Also check out this link for races in TN http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/directory/index.asp?sort=date&filter=&maxradius=0&maxradiustype=&zipcode=&d1=6/3/2009&d2=&country=58&catid=153&searchname=&t=r&rt=&page=0

Lastly, use your logs.  That way people can see what you are doing and can give advise based on your training.  Good Luck!
2009-06-03 9:53 PM

Extreme Veteran
There is a tri down in pulaski towards the end of June as well if interested, Sprint distance.. although heavy on the ride..  200yd swim, 16.7 cycle, 3 mile run..

www.pulaskiathleticleague.org

my 2nd tri, hope to see you there..
2009-06-04 6:19 PM

User image

If you want to affiliate with a great coach who really specializes in the beginner you should look up Stephen Taylor. (www.sttrainer.com) Yes he is in Nashville, but his groups are great and his pricing is stellar. Look at the site.

Also go to www.team-magic.com. They put on a bunch of sprint to olympic distance races in middle Tennessee and Alabama.

Gray

Edited by stahlmangc 2009-06-04 6:21 PM
2009-06-05 9:55 AM

User image

New user

Thanks everyone, all of you all are helping to keep my motivation up with the great info and advice. My co-worker uses the coach and I do work in Nashville, everyday. Thanks for all your help and I hope to compete with some of you eventually. The swimming advice was especially helpful.

Thanks, again.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to Tri in Tennessee Rss Feed