General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chi Running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-21 1:19 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Chi Running
A little while ago I saw some talk on here about Chi Running. I bought the book and think there are some good ideas (although there's an annoying fanatic tone to the whole thing- and is this guy repetitive or what?). However, I tried just two of his tips today and I have to say I was amazed. I have knee problems and recently my knees have started swelling again. The author of this book says that sometimes it is caused by letting your foot point out, and low and behold, I concetrated really hard on keeping my feet straight. No swelling, no pain today! Yippeee! And the other thing I did was concetrate on relaxing and using my core. Well, I am less tired than usual and in general my run was very pleasant.
I wanted to come back and have a chat about this - because I'm not sure you can really learn this method from a book- but when I did a search on "chi" nothing showed up? So anyone that tried it, let me know what you think! And if you think you can learn it from a book, and if you think it is all or nothing- ie do you have to use all his tips or can you just use a few. Because frankly I think it would take me a couple of years to learn the whole thing.

2005-04-21 1:32 PM
in reply to: #146012

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi
Subject: RE: Chi Running

I bought the book and have been trying to run his way. I used to have sore hamstrings and achilles after most runs, since tryin to run Chi way have had no leg issues at all.

About learning from a book? Why not, a coach would be great but not all can have that. He gives a lot of focus' that have helped me to run more that way, but yes it will probably be a long process, but that's ok, so is learning to swim well and building a long endurance base.

There is a Chi Running website, I haven't really looked if over but here it is:

http://www.chirunning.com/ 

2005-04-21 1:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
I also bought chi running a few weeks ago. I used to have shin splints problems and cramps in my calves. I don't know if its a placebo effect or what, but since I read the book, no more tight muscles after running and my legs feel a lot better. I think that concentrating on relaxing is a big thing and it really helped me. Also by concentrating on the various focuses, you get your mind away from the fact that you are actually running! I think this is a big part of it.

As for learning from a book, its not as good as a live coach, but you can still do quite a lot by yourself. I know he has weekend workshops. there is one scheduled in Montreal (my home town) in May, but its 250 Ca$ (200US). I will stick to the book for now and concentrate a a few focuses each run.

foxycharmer - 2005-04-21 1:19 PM
(although there's an annoying fanatic tone to the whole thing- and is this guy repetitive or what?).

I agree that the repetitiveness gets on the nerves after a while.
2005-04-21 1:45 PM

Master
Shreveport, LA
You can always buy the DVD to help accompany the book.
2005-04-21 1:56 PM
in reply to: #146027

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
mnewton - 2005-04-21 1:45 PM

How is the DVD? Do they go through all the focuses?

Do you recommend it?
2005-04-21 2:00 PM
in reply to: #146040

Master
Shreveport, LA
p4406 - 2005-04-21 12:56 PM

mnewton - 2005-04-21 1:45 PM

How is the DVD? Do they go through all the focuses?

Do you recommend it?

I haven't used the DVD, so I can't recommed it. I don't even have the book yet. I have looked at parts of it and got tips from online and I can say that it helps my running a lot.

2005-04-21 2:11 PM

User image

Elite
New City, New York
I don't think you learn by reading you learn by implementing the concepts in your run. as he says (and you did) focus on 1 or two at a time. I got it over the winter and did as muuch as i could on the treadmill. Now that I'm oustide I must say I'm a huge fan of it. I used to hate running and always had various leg ailments. My times have vastly improved (w/o concentrating on time at all), my effort level has decreased and more importantly no leg injuries. Tho i do agree w/ the person who previously said they can't fiugre out that pelvis tilt thing. That's one part I'm not gonna worry about. I do refer back to the focuses and try to implement new ones after I've got the hang of others.
2005-04-21 2:13 PM

Subject: RE: leveling your pelvis
I wish I bought this book the other night when I went to Borders! Oh well...I'll have to make another trip out there, although, I tried to "level my pelvis," as it states in an article I read about Chi Running, and I'm not getting it. ??

How do you do this????
2005-04-21 2:47 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
I tried to search for it on the Borders computer last night and it didn't come up...do they have it or not?  I didn't bother to ask anyone working where it might be. 
2005-04-21 2:52 PM
in reply to: #146051

User image

Regular
I didn't know there was a DVD! I'm thinking it might be worth the $ to take a clinic if it comes to NY. I just want to enjoy running like I enjoy biking and swimming- I swear when I'm riding my bike I feel like a dog in the car with his head out the window!!
2005-04-21 3:01 PM
in reply to: #146069

Yes...they have it in the sports section. Just a few copies, though.

2005-04-21 3:06 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I bought it about a monht ago and it has helped not only with running, but with just standing around and walking at work (i'm on my feet most of the day). Leveling your pelvis is really the ONLY focus that I need to work on right now because I have a hyperlordosis (exagerated curvature) of my lower back that is partly due to hip flexors that are as tight as steel cables.

In the book he talks about opening up your stride behind you, not in front of you, and untiil my hip gets more flexible, that's impossible for me. I concentrate fully on tensiing my lower abs to pull the front of my pelvis up. This restricts my stride somewhat because my legs can't stretch behind me. But as I slowly get more flexible in the front, it becomes easier. This focus reduces the impacts on my lower back, particular the impact on my lower back in a hyperflexed position, because I concentrate on the pelvic tilt.

I am dedicated to practicing this as long as it takes, even if it is a few years, because without it, I really can't run at all.
2005-04-21 3:47 PM
in reply to: #146051

Atlanta

sharonnagy5 - 2005-04-21 2:13 PM I wish I bought this book the other night when I went to Borders! Oh well...I'll have to make another trip out there, although, I tried to "level my pelvis," as it states in an article I read about Chi Running, and I'm not getting it. ?? How do you do this????

As I have read it, 'leveling the pelvis' seems to be relative to your body.  since you run with a lean, you are leaning your whole body, not bending at the waist.  bending at the waist would cause you to lose your Chi (oops!)

stand a few inches from your desk and lean into, but keep your body aligned.  that's how you run in the chi sense, and the leaning forward creates momentum (i guess) to make your legs move, the more you lean, the faster your legs will go

make sense?

Edited by grahznybratchny 2005-04-21 3:50 PM
2005-04-21 4:17 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
OK, this alignment thing... A basic tennet of Taiji is the alignment of the body from the top of your head to your perineum. That means that when standing up straight, your pelvis should be "level" (more on that in a second), your shoulders aligned over that (a neutral spine) and your head aligned, or stacked on top of that. Once you have your alignment straightened out, you can move on to other things, but alignment is key. Your every motion begins in your dantien (your center). Then, your qi can freely move to where it needs to. Misalignment? Bad. Impingement? Bad. Tension? Bad. OK, back to the pelvis thing... Your dantien is just below your belly button, but inside... Try this - stand up with your right palm against your belly. Place your thumb at your belly button. Your palm is now around dantien height (just below your belly button). Put the back of your left hand on the small of your back. Now, the trick is to be able to draw a line from the center of both hands and have that line be level. Align everything else to that and then keep that alignment while running, while leaning, etc.

To the first post, what "annoying fanatic tone" are you talking about? Not sure how to address that. With regards to the repetition - there's quite a bit of that in martial arts training. Remember, the basis of this movement stems from Chinese "wushu" or "martial arts." The intent isn't that practice makes perfect, but that perfect practice makes perfect. Practice only makes something permanent. The repetition is there to impress upon you the really important stuff.

Yes, I practice ChiRunning and I am also a student of Taiji.

-Frank
2005-04-21 4:21 PM
in reply to: #146079

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
AdventureBear - 2005-04-21 3:06 PM
I am dedicated to practicing this as long as it takes, even if it is a few years, because without it, I really can't run at all.

You hit the nail on the head there. It's not something that you learn in a matter of days/weeks/months and then you're done. Every time you go for a run, be mindful of one focus and work on it. Then work on another focus. There is always something to improve, to deconstruct and put back together even better. The biggest thing is to be mindful of what you are doing. Better to go slow and get it right than to rush through it and miss a fundamental concept.

-Frank
2005-04-21 4:26 PM

Indiana
I have the book and DVD DVD is great... he also does clinics around 1/2 and full days - check his web site.

2005-04-21 4:41 PM
in reply to: #146124

User image

Regular
That's fine that you don't agree with me about the tone.As a long time fan of yoga, I do understand about practicing and enjoying the practice being the goal. I just find his tone annoying and his writing style a bit lacking. That doesn't mean that you have to agree!
Anyhow despite that I'm getting a lot out of the book and its interesting that everyone else seems to be as well. This guy must be on to something. Running just hasn't felt natural to me since my hip bones got much wider at 17 and I'm hoping that I can get back to a state of enjoyment.

Edited by foxycharmer 2005-04-21 4:43 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chi Running Rss Feed