General Discussion Triathlon Talk » An Old School Swimming trick. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-06-12 11:04 PM
in reply to: #2213618

User image

Subject: RE: An Old School Swimming trick.
Detroit Dan - 2009-06-12 8:57 PM Bye Bye BT.  I thought the "B" was for beginner.
I guess you can't be 50 AND a beginner here.
Carry On.

Hold on a sec.  You're not getting off that easy.

You post a "do this drill it's a very good thing post"

People (rightly) ask you what the benefit is (and yeah, a good amount of ball busting, but it is the internet after all...  and a Friday.  it was, in all honesty, very light ball busting)

You can't back up your claim that it's helpful

You run to the hills saying you've been mistreated cuz you are a beginner.

What am I missing here???????   you didn't ask a question, you posted a statement and expected everyone to latch on.   Sorry you feel slighted, but if that's the reason for leaving what is a very valuable resource, and where you will learn a lot if you are a beginner, I guess no one can stop you

2009-06-12 11:06 PM
in reply to: #2214931

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Detroit Dan - 2009-06-12 8:57 PM Bye Bye BT.  I thought the "B" was for beginner.
Carry On.

Sure you can. You just can't present a training tip as if it's gospel, and not expect to be called out on it if it's wrong.

And if you think this was bad, you ain't seen nothing. this was pretty mild, by page two everyone was ripping on each other more than you.

John
2009-06-13 7:37 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Detroit Dan - 2009-06-12 11:57 PM

Bye Bye BT.  I thought the "B" was for beginner.
Carry On.

I think you're taking this way too personally.... your suggested swimming trick was not critiqued because you are a beginner - it was critiqued because many saw it as a) probably not all that helpful; and b) something that could potentially cause injury.

Personally, I could see where very limited use of this technique could be helpful with body awareness in the water, but I don't think it is something that should probably be used extensively (just my humbel opinion - and in all honesty, if you look at my swim times, I am probably NOT the person most would want to take swim advice from....)

The rest was just normal BT silliness, and mostly people playing off of each other's goofy friday afternoon, taper-madness induced posts - kind of a contest to see who can post the goofiest reply when a thread starts to derail like this one did....

Take it as it was intended - all in good fun. There is a wealth of experience and advice to be found here in the BT community. Don't let one bad posting experience scare you away.....
2009-06-13 11:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI. via Detroit
Detroit Dan - 2009-06-12 10:57 PM Bye Bye BT. I thought the "B" was for beginner.
Carry On.

I'll quote myself. It was late and I was tired & pissed about the Wings game when I posted this. So......Maybe I'll give this site a second chance, because it looks like there are some local Michigan members here that are nice.

I stand by my original post and my replies about it, with 1 minor adjustment. You guys seem like numbers people and I did say a few hundred yards. At my old age of 50 I only do this for 75 yards each. 2 hundred yards is how we did it when I was 16 years old.
Speaking of numbers You should also know that I can't quantify  the benefit of this trick with a number or a speed gain or loss.  This is why I mentioned the way you might feel the next day.  Don't any of you ever try to tell me that you never had a killer good workout and felt the results the next day.

tkd.teacher - lats are a large muscle and they have a freestyle sweet spot, If I were you I wouldn't waste any effort on any other part of them. As far as the other muscles was it "not much" or "none"? And no I'm not wrong, you just so far don't agree. Never mind it works for me.

bryancd - Yes. If I knew a way. Look into that running thing for me. Kinda like riding my bike with the seat an inch to low and then again with the seat an inch to high. but that's a whole other trick without numbers.

cusetri - Sorry I've been on here less than a week. And didn't even know about the log feature until yesterday. Thanks for helping me with that... and tell me again how I could quantify my "trick" using a log?

artemis - You could listen better. No constructive comment at all? Just jumpin' on the band wagon with a funny bunny. (yes man)

bill - Nothing personnel but you just don't get it.

newleafe - The retard comment above was the one that made me want to quit before I ever really got started here. That was and is unacceptable.  Oh and if I spelled anything wrong above be sure to let me know.

2009-06-14 12:09 AM

User image

First rule of getting out of a hole:  Stop digging

welcome back, I guess.   

Oh, and there are no cool people in Michigan

Wait, are you saying we should ride with our seats too low, and then too high?  so we can see what it's like when it's right?  Do tell.   And I thought the thread could not improve.  I thought you were a beginner, yet you have all these secret techniques you're not sharing?  tsk tsk

As for artemis, newleaf and Bill, we usually try to not let them post more than a few preapproved things a week, but they must have escaped their restraints

Edited by ChrisM 2009-06-14 12:14 AM
2009-06-14 1:13 AM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
I have my snack...carry on......

2009-06-14 1:16 AM

User image

New user
And here I thought BT was exempt from typical forum flamming!  Haha, great thread, will read again.
2009-06-14 1:34 AM

User image

Regular
Eastern Tennessee

Just a quick thanks to everybody for making me pee my pants with laughter!

Personally, I think somebody needs to eat more roughage because that is the only explanation for why "People" would get upset over others a. voicing their opinions or b. cracking jokes.

Then again.... if someone on this site needs more roughage to not be cranky..... they must not be running enough (learned that from another post - I am just learning LOADS of fantastic information on this site!)

then there is that other thing that makes people cranky..... oh, but I'm not going to go there!

2009-06-14 6:26 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Thanks, BT.  I just lost 20 minutes of good work time laughing my A$$ off.  I hate this site.
2009-06-14 7:13 AM

User image

Champion
You know, you were given quite a few constructive comments in response to your original post. For some reason you're choosing to ignore those. The only response I've seen to one is "you just don't get it" which is essentially a nonresponse. Why not address their points as they did yours?The great thing about a forum like BT is that you get a wide range of experience and knowledge, and usually that means that the group is smarter than any one of us. You would be wise to stop being so emotional about your opinion of things and listen to what people have to say. We pass a lot of things down from person to person without being appropriately critical of why we do them. Step back and ask yourself if there's anything that backs up what you say other than "It helped me." I doubt you'll find a more open and helpful forum around. That doesn't mean that you don't have to be reasonable though.
2009-06-14 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2215848

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Detroit Dan - 2009-06-13 9:41 PM
I'll quote myself. It was late and I was tired & pissed about the Wings game when I posted this. So......Maybe I'll give this site a second chance, because it looks like there are some local Michigan members here that are nice.

So....if you're not from michigan you can't be nice?

tkd.teacher - lats are a large muscle and they have a freestyle sweet spot, If I were you I wouldn't waste any effort on any other part of them. As far as the other muscles was it "not much" or "none"? And no I'm not wrong, you just so far don't agree. Never mind it works for me.

Sigh...yes, lats, or more specifically, the latissimus dorsi, are a large muscle. They originate near the sacrum, and along all the lower thoracic lumbar and sacral vertebrae, and insert near the upper part of the humerus. It's main function is to adduct, or bring closer to the body, the upper arm. They don't have a "sweet spot"

And it's "some", which I now assume you will proclaim "aha! See!", since no muscle can truly contract in isolation.

And, if it works for you, that's great. I'm not sure what it actually does for you, but you believe it's doing something productive, so you keep right on doing it. Cause after all, a sore muscle always means productivity.

John

2009-06-14 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2215848

User image

Elite
Texas
Detroit Dan - 2009-06-13 11:41 PM
Detroit Dan - 2009-06-12 10:57 PM .

bill - Nothing personnel but you just don't get it.

I don't really have a staff per se. I do all my own posting (when I chew through the restraints).

Dan that was sort of the whole point. I don't get it. You post a "tip", but you don't provide any information about what specific problem the tip will address or how it will make me a better swimmer. 

Understand too, while I came from a sports background where "sore muscles" were looked upon as a good thing (linebacker in high school and college), advances in exercise science have proven that there are much better ways to measure the quality of training in retrospect than a subjective quantification of pain. THIS is a very good thing.

Edited by Bill 2009-06-14 10:07 AM
2009-06-14 7:32 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Just thinking about trying this for more than a few strokes makes my shoulders hurt.

I used to work with a trainer who advised me that the shoulder joint is a very delicate joint, and it is easily damaged.  We would always use higher repetitions with very light weights for any exercise that put stress on the shoulder joint.  He would point out people in the gym doing shoulder exercises with dumbells that were so heavy they had to use momentum to move them.  Some of these people were working with other trainers.

Dan, I'm trying to politely say that even very experienced people with degrees in sports medicine can give the people they coach some potentially dangerous advice.  Even though you were taught this by a coach, I would still think twice (or maybe 3 times) before I tried it for any purpose beyond helping with body awareness (and I question even that).  The potential injuries caused by stressing the shoulder joint at unnatural angles are not worth what sound like relatively minimal theoretical benefits.

2009-06-14 8:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI. via Detroit
Ha! see I knew there was some good in this place.  I just got back from an hour swim without ever stopping or touching the bottom. I didn't use my "trick" because my first race ever is in only 9 days so I was working on long smooth correct strokes. The workout went very well and I felt strong and confident in what I have accomplished up to this point.  No worries Laughing 
Except 1   newleafe ...
2009-06-14 8:46 PM
in reply to: #2217056

User image

Detroit Dan - 2009-06-14 6:44 PM Ha! see I knew there was some good in this place.  I just got back from an hour swim without ever stopping or touching the bottom. I didn't use my "trick" because my first race ever is in only 9 days so I was working on long smooth correct strokes. The workout went very well and I felt strong and confident in what I have accomplished up to this point.  No worries Laughing 
Except 1   newleafe ...

Good luck in your race.  I bet even newleaf will be here cheering you on   
2009-06-14 9:40 PM
in reply to: #2217056

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Detroit Dan - 2009-06-14 9:44 PM Ha! see I knew there was some good in this place.  I just got back from an hour swim without ever stopping or touching the bottom. I didn't use my "trick" because my first race ever is in only 9 days so I was working on long smooth correct strokes. The workout went very well and I felt strong and confident in what I have accomplished up to this point.  No worries Laughing 
Except 1   newleafe ...

Goody! Stick around! this is indeed an amazing community........... 

2009-06-15 10:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Dan, I was totally kidding with you after the beating I took last week. Although I wouldn't do it, I actually see the point you are trying to make. I think you are trying to say this:

If you swim the same way for a long period of time, you will only strengthen a very specific muscle group. If you change things up, you will provide a workout to muscles seldom used.

I would not do this for two reasons.

1. Your shoulder joint is not a true ball and socket joint. It is a joint that's held together by 5 or 6 smaller muscles. This joint is prone to injury more so than say your hip is. After all the swim training I've done this year, I wouldn't want to do anything to increase my risk of shoulder injury.

2. I'm not a swim expert but I believe that most swim drills are designed to help with creating a perfect stroke by building muscle memory. I wouldn't want to do too much to lose that memory I've worked for. Kind of like working on a golf stroke.

Again, I and others were just jumping on the joke train.....

Sorry about the Wings...not sure where they would have put another cup anyway!

2009-06-15 2:43 PM

User image

Expert
Champaign Area, IL
I missed all this???? damn
2009-06-16 6:39 AM

User image

Giver
Here's an Old School Running trick we used to do back in the day: 140 mile weeks and 20 milers with no hydration or nutrition.
2009-06-16 9:55 AM
in reply to: #2214333

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » An Old School Swimming trick. Rss Feed  

of 3