General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Squats and deadlifts after knee surgery? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-12 11:58 PM

User image

Subject: Squats and deadlifts after knee surgery?
Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in Injuries and Health issues forums so apologies if this is in the wrong spot.

I had knee surgery to reconstruct my ACL just under a year ago and am looking to get back into lifting weights. Are squats and deadlifts (stiff legged and bent legged) something better avoided or would they be okay to do if I pay attention to form and start out with a light weight and slowly progress?

Rob

2009-06-13 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2214973

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: RE: Squats and deadlifts after knee surgery?
I would avoid squats with a bar.
Start out with free standing 'air' squats without weight, do 3 sets of 30 or so.  Progress into dumbbells.  Lunges are also a good after you're comfortable with free squats first without weight then with dumbbells, make sure you watch your back leg and keep an eye on your form. 
I would go into a leg sled when you feel comfortable.  I am not a big fan of squats with a bar - it has more to do with the neck, shoulders, form than anything though.  I have very long femurs though so it's very hard for me to do a form correct squat.
I think deadlifts are fine but I'd start out light.  Balance between quads and hammy's is important, it's easy to over train quads.
2009-06-13 11:02 AM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
I had ACL and meniscus repair.

Squats were actually part of my PT regimen (On a slide with increasing angle, not barbell).

If you are anal-retentive about technique and low weight, you should be able to start building up to higher weights about 9-12 months out.

These are "closed chain" leg exercises = the foot is planted.

Closed chain are good for ACL, open chain (foot not planted, leg extensions-kicking, etc...) should be avoided like the plague until you are fully 100% -- even then used sparingly and with control.
2009-06-13 11:04 AM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
p.s. I noticed that you said under a years ago, but how was your PT?

I did 6 months of aggressive - did everything I was supposed to -- and then some...
My times are based off of that.
2009-06-13 11:09 PM
in reply to: #2215203

User image

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll start out light with the deadlifts and either no weight or really light weight on the squats and go from there.

eabeam - 2009-06-13 11:04 AM p.s. I noticed that you said under a years ago, but how was your PT?

Structured PT was unfortunately lacking. I had to move part way through PT and was not seeing anyone for about a month before getting on another program and a little under 6 months after surgery ended up deploying. I've been doing stuff on my own over here and my knee has been doing pretty well with it. Now that I actually have access to a gym and a place to run I'm just trying to force myself to take it slow and not rush in to things.
2009-06-19 8:40 AM
in reply to: #2215839

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Agree with eabeam.  I had my knee scoped and was lifting to try to get the strength back within about 5 months.  Understand about getting into PT and then getting deployed too. 

Deployments and moving always throw-off whatever routine you're in. 

The leg lifts will hurt like hell the first few times, but then you get your muscles used to working again. 

Take it slow, but don't baby your legs.  They're the biggest muscles in your body and have carried you since you were a few months old.  They can take some stress.

A lot of these tips were given me by my Ortho Surgeon, who was also the team Ortho for the Baltimore Ravens.  So he knows his stuff.

2009-06-19 8:42 AM
in reply to: #2228577

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Oh, and squats with a bar are alright as long as you use good form and don't get too crazy on the weight.  Smith Machine is the best protection for your squat technique. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Squats and deadlifts after knee surgery? Rss Feed