World Triathlon Corporation
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 43m 46s
Overall Rank = 441/1507
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 69/219
Pre-race routine:

Well getting to the location for the swim took a bit of doing. Dropped off the runbag downtown that morning, got dropped off with my bike and bags (like 1-2 miles from T1) around noon and then the long walk up the hill with folks carrying their bikes up the gravel trail as they would not let you ride your bike in from the parking to the T1 and I did not want to pay the $60 to ship the family up on the shuttles. Then just setting things up and hanging out for 2-3 hours.
Event warmup:

Pretty much just walking up a 1.5 mile hill with all my gear and then relaxing until almost race start. Then some stretching. It was a long wait so I mostly just relaxed. There was that 4 minutes of treading water before the start of my wave (wave 11 out of 13 waves at 45 min after race start).
Swim
  • 50m 9s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was really rough and lots of bumping, kicking, grabbing knees and elbows. No blows to the head which was good. It was like swimming in a wave pool. I felt like I put forth a good effort, but the slow time was a considerable surprise even with the couple hundred yard jog to the timing mat. It would have been great if the race had started in the morning.
What would you do differently?:

I need more swim time to improve my pace. Having the pool be 100 miles away and only 2 swims a week isn't gona make me uber fast even as I clean up my form some.
Transition 1
  • 03m 40s
Comments:

Ok so T1 was wierd for me. You could not have anything touching the ground except for 1 tire of your bike. Everything else had to be like in your bag hanging from your bike. So this was slower than if I had had my stuff lying out on a towel. I was a little slow here. When I went to put on my race belt, the race number ripped out on one side and I had to figure out how to jurry rig it so it wouldn't come out the rest of the way. It took a minute to get the sand off my feet, socks on, shoes on, glasses on, watches on, etc. And then you had to put your gogles, cap and wetsuit into the plastic bag which of course also ripped, so I had to tie it good around the middle so I didn't lose anything. Shrug Oh well, I was then off.

Well I may have tried to make the race number more secure somehow on the belt before setting up. There may have been a more efficent way to set up my stuff somehow so I could get it out better and well the torn race number and torn plastic bag were not really anticipated.
Bike
  • 2h 57m 16s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.95 mile/hr
Comments:

The road was just wet aa wet can be. The wind was moderate, but harassing. The turns were slick. As I was about the 1400 ish person to start the race, I ended up passing alot of folks on the bike. I tried really hard to not get in a drafting call situation. I made danm sure that my infinit did not eject ever again in the ride. This was a risk when crossing the plywood covered cattle bar crossing areas. The downhills on curvs were a bit iffy for me. I have not ridding down steap grades on curvy wet routs very often. There was one bad hill. It was on a downhill with a 35 mph corner to the left than back to the right. As I was passing someone on well probably slightly faster than my skill level the guy to my right started drifting out towards me like past the half way part of the lane so much so that on the sharpest part of the curve I was forced onto the wet paint double line. This had happend to the guy in front of me as he passed the guy too so one guy on my right drifting left, one guy on the left out in front trying to slow down and reenter the right side of the double yellow and me coming inbetween them hitting the wet paint on the sharp corner. Well my heart stopped for a second, but I held a line across the paint and then back onto the right side of the road as soon as I could. Man that was scary.

Aside from all that, the bike was great. My last HIM was much hillier, but it was also a 16.5 mph effort. Today was a 19 ish mph effort and running steady the entire race. My effort up hills was good, down hills was good, it was as fast as I could have hoped for and more.

Number one, on a wet surface, be more cautious on the hills with curves and aware, more aware that other folks may act erradically in front of you as weahter conditions worsen.

Ok so I won't be ejecting waterbottles anymore that have my 1000 calories in them. Much respect for the speedbump and cattle guards, lesson learned.

Well, if I knew it was going to rain, I may have put on a waterproff jersey, possibly waterproof gloves. However, as I was putting enough effort into the ride my core temp didn't drop (hindsight is 20/20). This was a 50/50 could have gone either way with it, it would have been fine either way.

This bike course would have rocked if it were dry.
Transition 2
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

Ok so I found my spot pretty well, got the bike up there. But I was completely drenched with totally numb fingers and feet. I was clumbsy getting my helmet off, it took several tries (darn little slippery plastic clasp) wet socks did not go into shoes well at all and my numb fingers did not help very much. The whole thing was awkward without feeling in my hands and took way too long. then I had to put everything into the bag before heading out on the run.

Well, if I had a waterproff jersey and gloves on, a towel in the transition bag, a pair of dry socks I wouldn't have had numb hands and could have managed the shoes better, probably.
Run
  • 1h 50m 11s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out with the deadish leggs, just kind of getting going again and resolving myself to another couple hours of soggy feet. I started to loosen up around 1.5 miles and settle into a pace. I think I got some feeling back in my feet around mile 2 to 2.5. Although I did not drink anything for the last 20 to 25 minutes of the bike, my sides were threatening to camp up, so I did not eat or drink anything for 3 miles or so. I finally decided to hit the bathroom at mile 4 because I just needed to, probably a 1 minute stop max. I had hit a gu at mile 3 and then felt like I could drink a few ounces of water without risk of exploding or cramping. I settled in and just kind of went by percieved effort in the high 2 low 3 zone area. I kept fluids to a minimum and hit a total of 4 gu's one every 30 min ish followed by 2-4 ounces of water. I was not sure if I could hold the pace after riding the bike so hot, but I was good through the first 6.5 miles for the first lap. At around mile 7 a guy in my age group passed me and was in sight for the next 5 miles. I didn't have the energy to run him down and just stayed on my pace. I looked at my watch, although I could bearly make anything that small out in my fogged glasses and it said 54 ish minutes for the first 6.5 miles. Hey I was doing alright. I just kept at that percieved effort and wanted to just make it to mile 9 without drifting off pace too much as then mentally I am one lap around the block (4.5 miles at my house) from home. I visualize the last 4.5 miles by landmarks around my block. Just before mile 10 I hit my last gu and got my last few onuces of water. From mile 10 on I started pushing high zone 3 low zone 4, hoping to be able to hold it. Same deal with puddles and weaving around folks the entire time. Mile 11, holding with percieved effort pretty hard but holding. In the last 2.5 miles I caught up to the guy in my age group who had passed me at mile 7. I knew he would try to catch me when he saw I was in his age group, but I gave him no chance. I passed another 4 guys in my age group and when I saw mile 12 I knew it was time to not slow down. I mentally geared myself up for the final mile and inched my speed up here, not too much we are still out 1.5 miles. At around .75 miles out I went into strong zone 4 (percieved effort and HR maxing at 177) and just brought it home. I was not entirely sure I could hold the effort, but, there was the finish line and I held the effort all the way across it. Phew held the steady swim, strong bike and strong run and under my hoped for time by 17 ish minues. (1 hour faster than first him 8 months ago on this easier but wetter course) They put a thermal blanket on everyone crossing the line and it was a good thing, after I stopped working and started walking I was getting very cold fast.

That 13.1 miles was faster than my open half mary pace of 8:40 a year previously and faster than my full mary pace 6 months ago. I was extremely pleased, only thing I would change is the weather.
Post race
Warm down:

Kept my blanket close around me, got 1 water, 1 soda, 2 slices of pizza, then looked for my wife and dry clothes for 20 minutes before finding her. I had told her I would finish 9pm ish and finished at 8:47. She tends to run late for everything. I finally found her, got my nice dry warm clothes, came back got another soda, a gator aid and a couple of taco's. And then crazily singed up for IM cour de lane (however you spell it) for 2010 !!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ok well, I need to improve the swim, am working on building facilities to work on that. I need to not lose the waterbottle with my nutrition in it! I need to figure out how to do transitions better, perhapse practicing after icing my hands or somehting to get them numb. And that is about it. I ran at my ability level in all three events. Only time and training will improve my times. Well and weather conditions.

Event comments:

Overall realy good organization, awsome vollunteers, have never seen better. Wonderful water, gator aid, gel, etc support, never seen better. The course itself was awsome, I would totaly love to come back and do it wihtout the rain some day. The late start which invites wind, poor access to the starting point (unless you purchase your $$ shuttle ticket from them) rain and funky wave starts were negatives for me. Starting around slot 1400 on the swim and ending up at 441 overal meant I had to pass alot of folks. The late start makes them have the screwy wave order. It caused more congestion than was needed through the entire course. From the very start of the swim to the very end of the run there were folks that I was passing. I mean it felt good to be moving up in the ranks so to speak, but it meant alot of positioning and moving around folks. I don't think that it physically slowed me down much, it just meant there was no time to settle into a position in the pack at your pace and just hold for a while. But, very well run.

Last updated: 2009-02-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:50:09 | 2112 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/219
Overall: 877/1507
Performance: Average
Suit: Full
Course: Ok so my race wave started at 2:45 pm and well by then there were whitecaps with the wind coming across the lake towards the swim start and a strange kind of open umprella shaped swim course with the handle at the start (longer arch than a cone). The course itself seemed very long and well one of the corner bouys reportedly broke free, so we were sighting, chasing the wrong course for a while I think. In any case, starting at wave 11 there really wasn't more than a couple minutes without bumping into anyone for the entire course. The waves were pretty mean, kind of sloshing you around and making breathing difficult. I don't think my time really reflects my swim, but the mat was at the top of the hill after the wetsuits were taken off, so maybe.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:40
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:57:16 | 56 miles | 18.95 mile/hr
Overall: 471/1507
Performance: Good
I pretty much ran at 145 to 150 hr throughout the bike.
Wind: Strong
Course: Ok where to start. I get on the bike, clip in reasonably well, start heading out across the dam. There are a few speedbumps that I go over fairly carefully, then it is flat, I go to try to set my garmin to start timing me and it is persnickity. I push the buttons, but it is not doing its thing like it is supposed to. Perhapse it is not reading my wet clammy fingers well. In any case as I am getting it started a new speedbump comes and somehow ejects my waterbottle with my 1000 calorie infinit out onto the ground. I didn't even see it go, I just heard that dreadful crash skid. I reflexively pulled over grabbed the bottle (there wasn't too much traffic, remember I started after 1400 people were already on the course) and put the nosle back on the top, put the bottle in the holder and took off. This cost me maybe 2 minutes, it probably felt longer than it was. Ok so a bit frazzled, back on the bike picking up speed drop down hill for the first mile, things going alright. I settle into the 5 mile climb and am actively moving up the hill. I pass a few folks, get to the top no problem and start heading along. About 6 miles into the ride it starts to rain. And it rains and rains and rains for the entire bike ride (ok so maybe 1 or 2 minutes here and there without rain) but basically the road were wet with puddles or puddle grooves where the car tires would go with a non puddle center area. Gloriously the course had only 6-12 climbs of any kind and most were mild. There were probably on 2 major climbs with another 4 moderate climbs of short duration. The wind was probably 10 ish mph and sometimes cross, back or head.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:32
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:50:11 | 13.1 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Overall: 350/1507
Performance: Good
Hr was in the 145 to 150 range for most of the run, climbing to 177 for the final 1 mile ish kick.
Course: Ok so um ya. I think it was still raining and stopped at some point durring the run, like maybe the last mile of the run. All the spectators still had rain coats on. My glasses were fully drenched from the rain and fogged from my breath in the cold air. The course had puddles everywhere up to 6 inches deep. You had to be on constant lookout for how to place your feet. As I started as one of the last waves there were still alot of folks in front of me who I could pass on the run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-15 2:25 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Boise

2009-06-15 7:53 AM
in reply to: #2217411

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Boise
Great job Steve, awesome run.  Sounds like it was pretty rough out there.
2009-06-15 8:04 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Nice job...2 pm start is weird but could be nice for sleeping in and eating before the race.

Weather and wind seemed to be tough for your wave. Impressive way to move up through so many folks through the course of a HIM.

Congrats on nice race and signing up for IMCDA next year!~

My coach won your AG..he is super fast and a great runner.
2009-06-15 8:21 AM

User image

Elite
Boise
Nice job. All that training you put in really paid off. The bike split is even more impressive with the weather.
2009-06-15 10:43 AM
in reply to: #2217657

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Thanks for checking out my RR and for the kind words.  Your coach must have been screaming, the top times were all
4:xx:xx for the first 20 in my age group.  
2009-06-15 10:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
Nice race under some bad conditions... congratulations! Sounds like you ran a smart race as well... good pacing.

2009-06-15 11:12 AM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
That's a great time for the tough conditions.  I understand your fear of downhill turns on wet pavement,  unfortunately the only way to get over it is to ride in those conditions more.  Good luck in CDA next year!

2009-06-15 11:52 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
GREAT JOB!!! Tough day!  Way to go!
2009-06-15 12:46 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

Great race. And a great write up. Nice job of keeping your bike upright.

2009-06-15 5:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Great job!!  I've never had to race under conditions like that.  When I read race reports like this I wonder if I would actually do it or if I would bag it.  I think I could take the rain but not coupled with the cold. 

I could feel my heart in my throat just reading your account of the downhill on wet roads.  Even on dry roads descending can be scary when riding with others that you don't know and can't predict their actions.

The 'nothing on the ground' rule sounds like it would seriously mess up your transition times.  Major kudos to everyone who completed this race this year.

BTW: try putting your race bib on your belt as normal and then use a couple of safety pins to pin it to the bib also.  then if the little holes rip out you are still good.
2009-06-15 10:58 PM

User image

somewhere in the northwest
Awsome job Steve, I remeber seeing you fly by me at mile 30 .

2009-06-15 11:08 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Great race Steve!!! Way to smash your goal time! Congrats on signing up for Coeur d'alene! I dedcided somewhere out on the run to wait another year before a full, but I'm already reconsidering
2009-06-15 11:24 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Great race Steve. You had an incredible run. It was nice to meet you at dinner.
2009-06-16 6:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Wrong Beach, CA
Nice job!  Great run and bike splits.  Was it just me or did the swim seem like it was moving in slow motion?  lol.  Those conditions were hellish and you laid it down.  Congrats!
2009-06-19 8:59 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO

Your mental toughness showed today!  What a fantastic race.  You have worked hard for this one for sure.  CDA!  nice.  Let's get through Vineman!

2009-06-22 10:59 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Steve, great job.  That T1 is a little weird.  Never had to deal with that no touching rule before.  Cold wet conditions sound nasty (you seem to bring that wherever your race...don't bring it to Vineman ).  Way to tough that out.  Your double yellow line thing sounded pretty scary.  With the wind, though, you were right at home with all your training.  Way to go on beating your race goal and killing your previous HIM time and your standalone half mary.  Wow.  You're gonna rock Vineman!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Boise Rss Feed