General Discussion Race Reports! » Alum Creek Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Alum Creek Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lewis Center, Ohio
United States
Fat Rabbit Racing
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 41m 11s
Overall Rank = 84/151
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/6
Pre-race routine:

Packed bag the night before and drank lots of water before bed.
Ate English muffin with honey and banana.
Went with dh to race.
Normal race day stomach issues. (3 bathroom breaks before setting up transition.)
Event warmup:

Stretched on beach.
I don't usually do a swim warmup, but then it started raining and the rain was colder than the water, so I got in and swam around. Probably a good thing. I was freezing when I got out, but dh helped me stay warm. Maybe I need a throwaway sweatshirt so I can warm up in the water even when dh is not there.
Swim
  • 32m 38s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Probably the best swim I could have had. I usually have a hard time getting a good pull in OW because I'm so distracted. And I don't go hard enough. I tried to stay focused and did a fair job. Maybe because of the stronger pulling, I felt I wasn't swimming as straight as usual. I did draft for about 500 yards, but then she slowed down. Still as I was coming in, I felt I could have swum harder.
What would you do differently?:

Swim a little harder.
Transition 1
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

I have been practicing the bike mount with no socks a LOT and this was my first chance to use it, and I think only my 2nd or 3rd race doing a moving mount. I still come to a stop before getting my foot on the shoe, but I think I did well.
I ran in T1. I was fast getting the bike out. There was a knuckle head nearby who was trying to mount INSIDE the transition area, about 20 yards before the mount line. I said something to him and a race official did, too, and fortunately he figured it out. Still I was worried about him being behind me when he did get on.
Shoes felt good with no socks, despite all my powder being screwed up by the rain.

See if it's possible to hop on while bike is actually rolling.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 11s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt GREAT! I had my Garmin on, but the right screen wasn't up and I didn't feel like changing it, so I just went by feel and went as hard as I was comfortable going, which ended up being good.
The pavement was wet, but that was OK for me. Everyone did wide turns, but no one did anything crazy, thank goodness. First loop was a bit crowded. Some time lost waiting to pass. Passed quite a few people and was passed by a handful, mostly Cervelo, one Felt B2 (yay) and a LiteSpeed. This is a new experience for me on the bike! Yay tri bike!
Passed quite a few, or caught up greatly, on the climb. Got passed mostly on downhills or flats.
The back stretch is usually a tailwind (in training) but today was a headwind. Lots of work. Felt good! Stayed aero mostly. My saddle was holding me back, as a few times I had to sit up to give my private areas a break.
My shifting was good. I shifted a lot! Now I see the advantage of bar-end shifters!

Nothing!
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

My best T2 ever. Not sure how I can top it!

Nothing.
Run
  • 53m 25s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt good. I concentrated hard.
I psyched myself up for the trail run, and that went well.
I had a hard time on the road when I was going AWAY from the finish, psychologically. At the turnaround I felt better. So on the next loop I decided to concentrate on that part and think positive thoughts about how that section was flat and not on grass.
Second loop, the trail run was a little tougher, as my ankles were more fatigued and I could hear someone behind me.
But the section going out on the road was better.
I was passed by a few people, but no one in my AG. I passed 1 or 2 from my AG. Passed some guys. Was passed by people older than me.
When I got tired, I tried to concentrate on good posture, and letting my legs follow from a solid core. Seemed to help.
A couple times going uphill I was a little nauseated. It was overcast, which helped a lot, and I poured some water on my head. Lots of water stations. I felt I was doing the best I could. Although I wasn't about to pass out at the finish and felt strong, I do feel like I didn't leave anything out there.

Nothing. Maybe better mental attitude toward difficult sections the first time around.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and ate food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was my maximum effort. As I get faster and go longer in training, I'll be able to improve.

Event comments:

Great job, Fat Rabbit!
Didn't even run out of toilet paper!
It's a good venue with a great beach and nice scenery and lots of bathrooms, even if there weren't a race there.

Oh yeah, and I PLACED IN MY AGE GROUP FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!!!!!!
3rd!!!!

Last updated: 2009-03-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:38 | 1640 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/151
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts and tri top
Course: Two loops of the triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:55
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:13:11 | 24.85 miles | 20.37 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops of square course. One climb each time.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:25 | 06.21 miles | 08m 36s  min/mile
Course: Sidewalk, then trail run for 3/4mi, then roads x2 Lots of changes in grade, but no long hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-28 12:57 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: Alum Creek Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2009-06-28 2:59 PM
in reply to: #2248351

User image

Master
Ohio
Subject: RE: Alum Creek Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Nice Job Alice! It was fun being on the "other side" again. And I felt I could be a much better jockstrapper without the kids. You had a great race today! You really deserve that bike!
2009-06-29 3:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Sounds like a great race. 
2009-06-29 10:53 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus
holy moses 20.37 mph in an oly !  along with great transition, sub 2 swim pace and a pr 10k.  WOW
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Alum Creek Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed