General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TI coaching for total newbie swimmer? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-09 9:21 AM

User image

Regular
Philadelphia
Subject: TI coaching for total newbie swimmer?
I have never had swim lessons and did not learn to swim as a kid. I can tread water for a few minutes a time. And I can do something in water that slowly propels me in a given direction -- but it's probably not "swimming" because it's very exhausting and it has caused strangers to laugh.

There seems to be a consensus that Total Immersion is good for getting you used to the water and teaching efficient movement in water, so I've been thinking about shelling out for lessons with a TI-certified swim coach close to where I live. I know there are books and DVDs and free videos online, but I don't feel confident that I would be able to translate them correctly into movement.

So what do you all think -- would one-on-one TI instruction be a good idea for an adult who knows how to not instantly drown, but doesn't really know how to swim?

2009-07-09 9:24 AM
in reply to: #2272636

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: TI coaching for total newbie swimmer?
I think it's a good idea.

I can't speak as a swimmer, but as an adult who could only doggie paddle from point A to point B.

A friend of me gave me the TI book, and just from reading that, I've gone from "ohh, that's what a freestyle stroke looks like!" to actually being able to freestyle 1000 yards (my tri is 1100 - 1000 is the most I've done so far) - I'm still slow and learning, but that's just from reading alone!!! (and I haven't even finished the book yet!)
2009-07-09 9:34 AM

User image

Regular
lowell
I'll second the TI for a newbie.

I grew up with a pool in the back yard but never competitively swam. I was comfortable in the water, but not efficient, or able to swim a length at the beginning of the year. 8 months later, my swim workouts are 1900+ yards and I don't feel totally defeated in the water. Now if I could only get flip turns down...

I had a friend lend me a TI DVD, watched it a few times. Then she helped me in the pool. Then I signed up for a TI class... Best thing I did was the TI class, with out question.

2009-07-09 10:52 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
I think getting a live coach top help you get started is a very good idea.  Whether you choose a "TI-certified" one or not is much less important.
2015-01-11 11:53 PM
in reply to: allisonwagner

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Allison may have plugged herself but she knows her stuff. TI is an attempt to make swimming like a bike fit session. Swimming is complex and requires feed back from a coach to make the optimal improvements. Most people do not have good body awareness and think their arm/hand is doing x when in reality its actually doing y. You may think your hand is entering at shoulder width but once on video you see its midline or crossing over. You make not realize that your pace points to the ceiling when breathing vs to the side with one goggle in and one goggle out like its supposed to be.

Read the following list you may find it interesting.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_record_progression_200_metres_...
2015-01-12 12:36 PM
in reply to: Silver Bullet

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Yes, it can most definitely help you.

2015-01-12 1:05 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by AdventureBear Yes, it can most definitely help you.

Even after all these years?  

2015-01-12 2:41 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by AdventureBear Yes, it can most definitely help you.

Even after all these years?  

No, there is no helping you, Arend. ;^)

100% Agree with JohnnyKay: get some lessons ASAP whether TI or otherwise, then get enrolled in masters if it is available in your area. Don't do what I did: I am a self-taught adult-onset swimmer - I began swimming consistently 24 years ago and was an OK swimmer by triathlete standards. 5 years ago I finally began to take lindividual lessons, and since that time I am still working to overcome all of the bad habits that had become ingrained in my stroke. I continue to make progress, but sure would have been way ahead of the game had I learned to swim with proper technique from the beginning.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TI coaching for total newbie swimmer? Rss Feed