Blue Cross
51F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 22s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34 males
Age Group Rank = 518/1107
Pre-race routine:

Not the same as usual - forgot the caffeine pill, no warmup whatsoever, no stretching, no water with the powergel, powergel taken at the last minute - very VERY chaotic!
Run
  • 1h 23m 22s
  • 10 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

VERY pleased on effort considering my mental state of SEVERE frustration and anxiety prior to the start - I know I can still go faster!
What would you do differently?:

RELAX . . . RELAX . . . RELAX - I have to keep my wits about me when I encounter things which are beyond my control.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

The masses slowly chugging along certainly didn't help but that was my fault more than anything. If I had been at the start of the race when I was supposed to, I would have been seeded with my pace group and wouldn't have encountered that wall of people walking, shuffling, etc...

Event comments:

This is one of the races that I would hate to miss (and I haven't yet since I started running again) but that chaos at the beginning showed an extremely poor race plan by the organizers. I have highly recommended this race to many friends and family and I was extremely embarassed by the pre-race organization. C'Mon Philly - you're way better than that!!! This isn't your first year organizing this race. GET IT TOGETHER!

Last updated: 2005-05-01 12:00 AM
Running
01:23:22 | 10 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/1107
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Average heart rate - 170 BPM // Maximum heart rate - 218 BPM 1st mile - 8:01 // 2nd mile - 8:01 // 3rd mile - 8:11 // 4th mile - 8:16 // 5th mile - 8:29 // 6th mile - 8:28 // 7th mile - 8:33 // 8th mile - 8:30 // 9th mile - 8:34 // 10th mile - 8:17 Gender place - 3111 of 6754 (top 46.1% )
Course: Down the length of Broad Street from Olney to the Naval Yard
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-05-02 10:46 AM

New user

Cherry Hill
Subject: 26th annual Broad Street Run

2005-05-02 10:57 AM
in reply to: #151207

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Subject: RE: 26th annual Broad Street Run
Well done, Willaim!!!

Hope to see you there next year.
2005-05-02 11:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
William,

sorry to hear about the chaos you encountered. I haven't missed this race since I started running either and obviously, with runners like you and myself recommending it, it will continue to get bigger.

but I am afraid that I am going to have to disagree with you in the pre-race organization, as I had no problems nor heard of any from the 30 odd friends that ran it also.

what happened ? unlike the fire that delayed the start this year, it started on time and seemed smooth to me.

2005-05-02 7:47 PM
in reply to: #151236

New user

Cherry Hill
Hey John,

After talking to a few other people, the chaos seems to have been centered on just the runners exiting Northbound I-95 onto Broad Street near the Wachovia Center. Traffic was jammed there and I sat on the freeway for 45 minutes to get a 1/2 mile. Once I got the car parked, my friends and I ran to the speedline only to sit on the express train for ten minutes before it moved North.
Like I wrote, that was my fault more than anything. I thought getting into the city at 0700 would give me enough time (it always did in the past) but I was wrong this year. It certainly didn't help having the Sixers playing later in the day, the circus being in town and the Phillies having an afternoon game. Too much in too short a time I guess.
I guess I was just frustrated and had to vent. I was hoping to get under 80 minutes but my frustration completely took me out of my game and I know better than that. I guess with the track record I've experienced in the past with this event that I set my expectations a little high. Oh well, I'll get it next year. I'm thinking about doing the Moorestown 8K on June 4th. Any knowledge on that race?
2005-05-02 7:50 PM

User image

Regular
New New York
Good job, I've run this race 8 or 10 times and this year was the best weather we've ever had. I also have to disagree about the organization. Every year the volunteers and organizers get better, it is about as flawless a race as I've done (especially given the logistics of getting 12000 transported to the start for a point to point race). Any large race has a massive wall of people at the start, that's why they use chip timing.
2005-05-03 9:51 AM
in reply to: #151678

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
William,

Sorry, I have never run the Moorsetown 8K and know nothing about it.

I figured that your frustration had to do with actually getting to the start than a problem with the race itself.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 26th annual Broad Street Run Rss Feed