General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rear brake lever sticking- any advice? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-14 12:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Subject: Rear brake lever sticking- any advice?
I've got a 2008 Cervelo P2SL. This morning when I braked (both brakes), my rear brake would not release. I manually released it (had to dismount and basically squeeze the brake calipers open) so I could carry on riding but I'm not really sure why this is happening. It could be that I need to clean the cables? Not sure how to do that since they are internal cables. If it needed adjusting I would think that would have been a gradual deterioration, rather than a sudden "now the brake sticks". I had a race on Sunday and it was bumpy so accelerade spilled everywhere- maybe that has gotten in somewhere (but where). Any suggestions are welcome. I've messed around with the cables some to see if I can "jiggle" something loose, but no luck so far. Thanks!

2009-07-14 1:58 PM
in reply to: #2284561

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-07-14 2:06 PM
in reply to: #2284561

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Rear brake lever sticking- any advice?
It sounds like the sticking is as you suspect, due to the accelerade spill.  Some Simple Green or citrus based degreaser may do the trick, or it might be simpler to just pull the cable, shoot some degreaser in the housing, and put a new cable in (after adding some trilube or similar lightweight oil to the housing or cable). If the spill dried inside the housing, it will continue to cause problems until it is cleaned out.  It is possible (but a PIA) to put new housing in.  Just use the old cable as a guide first to replace the housing, then put a new cable in.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rear brake lever sticking- any advice? Rss Feed