General Discussion Triathlon Talk » [OT] Looking for cabins W of Denver Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-20 3:31 PM

User image

, Texas
Subject: [OT] Looking for cabins W of Denver
We're thinking of a last-minute trip to CO for a little family vacation. We're looking to go next week (27'th - 30'th) and we'd really like a cabin (at least electricity; campground bathrooms ok). We're looking to do a mine tour (Idaho Springs?) and spend a day at the Rocky Mountain National Park and are open to staying at any place in between.

The place I've found are all booked (as expected, this short notice) and thought I may get some help from the locals. We're looking for something in the $60 a night range. Normally, a tent would be fine, but rain is in the forecast and tent + rain = no fun. Something like the cabins at Golden Gate Canyon State Park (which are booked) look perfect to me. There are still plenty of camp sites available at Golden Gate Canyon, so that's still the fallback plan.

Anyone know other locations with some bare-bones cabins?

2009-07-20 9:57 PM
in reply to: #2296907

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
Subject: RE: [OT] Looking for cabins W of Denver

Found this outside of Boulder close to your price range...

The Lebanon mine tour from Georgetown is fun.  Breckecnridge is ~75-90 minutes, and has a great mine tour (French Gulch or something like that).  Also Golden's got the Railroad Museum...

Edited by StMaas 2009-07-20 10:01 PM
2009-07-20 10:25 PM

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
camy - 2009-07-20 2:31 PM
Normally, a tent would be fine, but rain is in the forecast and tent + rain = no fun.

I don't know anything about cabins but the weather forecasts that you're seeing are what we have almost every day in the summer. As long as you have a decent tent, I wouldn't avoid camping based on those forecasts. Our rain showers usually don't last very long but they can happen on every day in the summer.
2009-07-20 10:28 PM

User image

Littleton, CO
Try the Estes Part Chamber of Commerce website. Quite a few little cabin spots and close to RMNP.
2009-07-21 1:32 PM

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/recreation/rentals/
This has a varity of random US Forest Service cabins throughout the state.  They are a mix of old lookout cabins, forest service, historical sites.  They are hit and miss on amenities but the descriptions tend to be pretty good and you can call for more info.   Kind of off the beaten path from the typical campground but kind of cool.  I dont know if there are many near where you are looking but...
2009-07-22 12:00 AM

User image

, Texas
Thanks for all the help. We've just about got it settled.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » [OT] Looking for cabins W of Denver Rss Feed