Tri California
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 20m 16s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We rented a RV and arrived on Tuesday, and I went for a short, easy run. We spent Wesnesday resting because of the rain. Thursday we went for a bike ride and I went for a swim. Friday, again another bike ride and swim. Saturday I rested and was a spectator for Kyle's race.
Swim
  • 42h 28m
  • 1500 meters
  • 2h 49m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

I went out easy. It felt good. I had to pee, so I decided I'd try "going" in my wetsuit -- only I couldn't... so I had to "pull over" behind a buoy and "go"... and go and go and go. I swear I missed at least a minute just bobbing there.

I felt strong and was excited and happy to be swimming. I wasn't pushing hard, but I was keeping a good, regular pace.
What would you do differently?:

Pee during the warm up. =)
Transition 1
  • 06m 14s
Comments:

I was able to get my wetsuit off faily easily, which surprised me. I decided to take my time with this race and not stress over "go go go". I didn't go at a leasurely pace, but I didn't go "balls to the wall" either.

I was forced to use my mountain bike pedals, so I had to take the time to put on my socks and running shoes.
Bike
  • 1h 59m 38s
  • 40 kms
  • 20.06 km/hr
Comments:

Note to self: none of the yellow piss-water Gatorade before the race. Ever. Bad bad bad. On the way out, I had, shall we say, "stomach issues". So bad that it took all my concentration to get to the turn around where the port-o-let was. I spent 5 minutes in there just waiting to throw up or whatever. Miserable.

I had one gel after Lynch Hill. And another about 20 minutes later. I carried my CamelBack with Karen-ade, and I drank some, until my "stomach" issue presented itself... then I backed off some.

After the turnaround, I got back on my bike and did OK... I forced myself to drink more because I knew that I would need it on the run.

I was surprised at how fast my bike goes down hill! I was screaming past other riders who were working going down hill. And I didn't have aerobars.

Going uphill was a bit harder. =) Ok, a lot harder. Fortunately, a friend was able to loan me a set of gears that were a little better than mine, so I didn't have to work quite as hard. I managed to get up Lynch without walking or stopping. And the rest of the hills weren't too bad.

Going down Lynch was a blast! Except when I got stuck behind a slower rider who was trying to pass the runners. Darn runners were running 4 abreast! And they're very strict about cyclists not crossing the yellow line. On the down hill, I got to the point where I was just screaming "BIKE LEFT! BIKE LEFT! BIKE LEFT!"

Clipless pedals, aerobars, better gears, new saddle, better nutrition... and some hill training.
Transition 2
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

Well, I already had my running shoes on, so all I had to do was rack my bike, take off my helmet, grab my race belt and hat.

I felt strong. At this point, I didn't feel tired at all. I was jazzed about running and took off strong.
Run
  • 1h 23m 26s
  • 10 kms
  • 08m 20s  min/km
Comments:

Oy! I felt strong heading out, but I never got my legs under me. I wound up walking around mile 1 and then just alternated walking and running the rest of the way.

I ran down Lynch, of course, but I didn't blow out or hurt at all. I was able to "sprint" in the finish chute.

More training at maintaining that level of activity for such a long time.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the finishers area and then headed to the expo to get some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. This was my first Oly so I didn't have any expectations.

Event comments:

I'll be back again next year. And I'll have more training under my race belt!

I should also note that I did not have a bike computer on my new bike. And before the race, I forgot my HR strap at the RV. So I had to do the entire race based on pace and PLE. Not bad. I think that may have actually helped me not stress out. That way, I could just race my own race rather than aim for a specific HR or time or cadence, etc.

Last updated: 2005-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
42:28:00 | 1500 meters | 2h 49m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: QR
Course: An out-and-back loop, starting on the boat launch.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:14
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:59:38 | 40 kms | 20.06 km/hr
Performance: Average
ok, my bike split was a bit longer by 5:37
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly. Very hilly. It's an out-and-back with lots of hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:23:26 | 10 kms | 08m 20s  min/km
Performance: Below average
Course: Big loop going along side the lake and then turning around toward Lynch Hill. Mostly uphill for the first 5 miles, and all down hill at the end.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-05-07 2:53 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Subject: Wildflower

2005-05-08 1:14 AM
in reply to: #154111

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
Subject: RE: Wildflower
congrats on completing your first oly!!
2005-05-08 5:02 PM
in reply to: #154111

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Wildflower
Great Job, Congrats on finishing I tough course!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wildflower Rss Feed