General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water Practice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-09 10:12 AM

User image

New user

San Francisco, CA
Subject: Open Water Practice
Greetings all.  I was wondering if anyone could suggest some places to practice open water swimming.  I am signed up for my first Tri (Portland) and just got a wet suit.  I really need to try this out before race day.  Willamette? (Boats??), Hagg Lake (Where to get in?), LO?

Let me know what you guys do - Thanks! 

2009-08-09 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2336685

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
Subject: RE: Open Water Practice

Hagg Lake is a bit of a drive but it is the best place I know of. Get in ay boat ramp C. It's where all the tris start. Swim to your right toward the cove. In the alternative you can park at the lot for the cove beach, but it is easy to miss. I think some people swim at Blue Lake and some train in a lake across the Columbia in Vancouver

2009-08-09 3:17 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
A fairly large group of people has been swimming the portland tri course in the wilamette on thursdays at 6pm. I did it a couple weeks ago... didn't use a wetsuit and was fine (though i'm a fairly confident swimmer) - not a bad swim at all. More info here:

Since mid-June swimmers have been taking to the Willamette River every
Thursday evening for weekly group swims. The swims are unsupported,
but a large group regularly hops in for the opportunity to hone open
water swimming skills. Bring a bright-colored swim cap and converge on
RiverPlace Marina at 6pm, on the North Breakwater dock (same place the
triathlon and Mile start). Some swim the Mile course (to the Morrison
Bridge and back), some swim to the Hawthorne and back, and some just
blow bubbles while enjoying the views above.

and p.s. i wouldn't use the Willamette swim (current, waves) as your first ows in a new wetsuit - go out to blue lake and paddle around first to get used to the suit.

kiri

Edited by kirih 2009-08-09 3:22 PM
2009-08-10 1:06 PM
in reply to: #2336995

User image

New user

San Francisco, CA
Excellent advice and thanks all!!! I think I'll start with Hagg Lake.
2009-08-10 9:09 PM

Regular
Bronze member
Willamette is fun on Thursdays.  There is a large group, and some people who aren't confident swimmers go and just do a short practice, so if you aren't too confident, it's still a good place for some practice.  Just go short.  I think that Klineline Pond in Vancouver is still open for swimming.  There is even a sprint tri held there in September which I just discovered.  This won't help for your upcoming tri, but for future open water practice Vancouver Lake is good in the early part of the year (it tends to close mid summer due to algae content - currently closed).  I've been getting all my open water swim practice between that, Klineline, and the Willamette.  Good luck with the tri, it should be a blast.
2014-07-19 9:48 AM

User image

Anybody ever use Oswego lake? Lots of boats.

2014-07-30 8:11 PM
in reply to: #5027826

User image

Went to hagg lake last weekend, at the far end (c)? Get there early - leave by noon.
2015-04-26 10:14 PM
in reply to: broepke

User image

Regular
Oregon
I swam a few times in Clackamette Lake near Clackamette park in Oregon city.

I believe there is a group of triathletes that go on Wednesday evenings (they used to anyways) so you don't necessarily have to have a safety buddy since you can tag along with their group.

They have buoys for sighting.

It has been 2 years since I swam there, but I am planning on doing my open water practice there again this year.

Oh, and it's freaking cold!

http://www.mapquest.com/#b5a5fe8388c3b5c51cca6940
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water Practice Rss Feed