General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Patriot HIM or Timberman HIM? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-10 6:54 PM

User image

Veteran
West Hartford, CT
Subject: Patriot HIM or Timberman HIM?
So, a group of women I trained with this year are debating a HIM for next year. We can not decide whether to do the Patriot HIM or the Timberman HIM.

The timing is totally different June vs August - pros and cons to each. If you had to pick a race, which one would you pick? This would be the first HIM for any of us.....

Thanks!!

2009-08-10 8:04 PM
in reply to: #2339995

User image

Beantown
Subject: RE: Patriot HIM or Timberman HIM?
I'm a short distance girl but know lots of MASS BTers that have done one or the other (or both!) - i'd throw this question into the MA forum for even more responses.

I do know that the endorfun group does an amazing job - I've attended both events and would lean toward Timberman.  I'm going up there to do the sprint this year!

Good luck with your year of training ahead!!
2009-08-10 8:21 PM

User image

Regular
Danbury, CT
I'm looking to sign up for my first HIM next summer too and can't decide. Def pros and cons to both. Would anyone suggest any other HIM as a first in the NE area?
2009-08-10 8:28 PM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Timberman.  Bigger Ironman branded event with alot of support and tons of people.  

That was my thinking anyway and I'm doing it this year.

Also, you could do RI or MightyMan next year too, but Timberman is one of the more popular halfs in the region for a reason and everyone I've ever talked to has said it is a great race to do....I'll let you know in a couple weeks, but there is a reason it sells out every year. 
2009-08-10 8:29 PM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Oh, also Rev3 had their first half this year and I bet it's bigger and better next year...
2009-08-10 9:10 PM

User image

Veteran
West Hartford, CT
I had a friend do the Rev 3 and hated it - said it was wicked hilly course for the run and did not want to do it again( this was her first half). Rhode Island sounded great but I have yet to hear wonderful things about it (and it did not look like it sold out?) - and in fact was persuaded to stay away from the Marathon in RI. So.....with that said, I think the ones that got glowing marks were these two races - Patriot being alot smaller, run by the folks of the Cranberry (which I am doing) and then Timberman. I went to spectate Mooseman this year and it was a beautiful venue. Very hilly, very cold for June 6th (atleast at 6am).

I have been leaning towards Timberman - but do not want to have my first HIM be too overwhelming. The Mooseman course looked somewhat brutal - and I am guessing Timberman to be a challenging course. But is it too much for a first timer?

Anyone done Patriot?

2009-08-10 9:14 PM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT

If you are scared of hills, do Eagleman in Maryland but sign up quick because it is already almost sold out.  It is flat from what I hear and attracts a ton of people because it is known to be a fast course (and well run)...I've thought about doing that one one of these days.  Don't be scared of some hills though, you live in CT, you train in the hills right

2009-08-10 9:17 PM
in reply to: #2340272

User image

Veteran
West Hartford, CT
I do - I would LOVE to do Eagleman - but can not convince the ladies to join me. Sadly so because it looks like an incredible venue. I am not afraid of hills per se, but also do not want to get spanked by the course being it would be my first time. I clearly have a full year to build up to it.....but Timberman seems intimidating. Maybe because Potts races? IDK! :lol:
2009-08-11 7:02 AM
in reply to: #2340282

Regular
Timberman also has ALOT of first timers. Just because Andy Potts and Chrissie Wellington are racing doesn't mean it should be intimidating

I'd vote for Mooseman and Timberman, but I'm somewhat biased
2009-08-11 7:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Ok I inspired you about this already but do NOT be intimidated by Timberman course!!!!...Im an MOP and granted Tman was my 2nd HIM but its nothing to be intmidated by. Seriously.
2009-08-11 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2340652

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
KEJ - 2009-08-11 7:02 AM Timberman also has ALOT of first timers. Just because Andy Potts and Chrissie Wellington are racing doesn't mean it should be intimidating I'd vote for Mooseman and Timberman, but I'm somewhat biased

Keith is voting that you do his race.  You don't want to insult the man now do you?

In all honesty, if you do a little digging into both of the races you mentioned, it isn't really an apples to apples comparison.  Timberman is a big Ironman event with alot of people (1700 or so for the half I think and I'm not sure how many for the sprint on the day before) and lasts the entire weekend.  Patriot is much smaller by comparison (less than 400 I think).  I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that at all and some people may prefer it, but just ask yourself what you are looking for in your experience and don't worry about which one is more hilly because I don't think there will be a drastic difference in how you do or feel based on the two courses themselves.

Do you want a big event and a big experience for your first one, or do you want a smaller more intimate setting?  That is probably what I'd base my decision on if I were you and lead to a more enjoyable experience for you.

Good luck!

2009-08-11 12:37 PM

Expert

I have done both races so hopefully I can give you a little insight.  First and foremost, you cannot wrong with either race.  Timberman was my first half and everything they say about (the good stuffy anyway) is true.  I did the first Patriot and it was amazing how well organized it was for a first year half.  So lets compare the two:

Swim - both in water, enough said

Bike - Timberman is one loop, Patriot 2. Timberman is actually 56 miles vs Patriot which 58-60.  Timberman is much hillier but not so bad that it should be a deciding factor.  Patriot is a much more scenic course.  I would give the edge to Patriot

Run - Timberman is two out and backs while Patriot is one loop.  Timberman has the best crowd support and themed water stops...it was awesome.  Patriot was much quieter, less support.  Both courses are pretty much flat (though Timberman feels hilly when you bonk).  I would give the edge to Timberman (by a little).

Overall, both events are professionally run by great organizations.  You will not be dissappointed in either event.  I would choose the one that fits best into your training schedule and from a logistics perspective.

If you have any specific questions, please let me know.

Mark

2009-08-11 10:03 PM

User image

Veteran
West Hartford, CT
Thank you all. Your comments and opinions did help me decide. I am going with my gut Timberman 2010. I was looking at the 20 week training BT has and it would have me starting in April vs January for a June race.

Both venues sound great. It appears they are adding an Oly for the Patriot next year, so I am thinking I can do that Oly and then train out doors all season for Timberman in August.

Again, thank you guys so much for your feedback!!! It is much appreciated!

Claudia
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Patriot HIM or Timberman HIM? Rss Feed