General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fishtailing on rollers? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-14 5:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Ridgefield, CT
Subject: Fishtailing on rollers?
How much should the back end of your bike sway back and forth when you are riding on rollers? I've had my rollers for about a month now and have made some modest improvements in my riding form but when I look back my rear wheel is still moving side to side a little bit.

When I first started using the rollers I was all over the place (and even managed to break a shelf on the bookcase I was using as an emergency handle). Now, the sway it isn't that much and I'm inclined to say that it's a function of the near frictionless rollers. But, it could also be due to a less than fluid pedal stroke.

On a side note, the rollers have vastly improved my biking. Being able to ride at night when I get home from work (and after the kids are asleep) has improved my fitness and my technique. I highly recommend rollers to anyone considering them.

2005-05-14 5:25 PM
in reply to: #157618

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Fishtailing on rollers?
Lol! Not laughing at you specifically, but when I imagined it, I just could not, not laugh.

Sedward3 - 2005-05-14 2:00 PM
and even managed to break a shelf on the bookcase I was using as an emergency handle.
2005-05-14 7:04 PM

Champion
You're probably doing it right, you'll always have that fishtailing to a certain extent as a result of the minor corrections needed to balance on the rollers. It's not as easy to ride in a straight line as it is on the road. For proof of that, try standing up while riding rollers...not very easy, as you have to maintain a smooth pedaling action and not let the bike snap from side to side. A guy I used to race with was able to ride no hands on the rollers and could pull his jersey off over his head while doing so. Way out of my league!
2005-05-14 7:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Germantown, MD
Back and forth a couple inches is relatively normal (for the amount of time you've been on there). I've been riding my rollers once or twice a week since probably Dec and I still slide back and forth a bit, especially towards the end of the ride.
2005-05-15 8:00 AM
in reply to: #157646

User image

Veteran
Ridgefield, CT
max - 2005-05-14 7:04 PM

You're probably doing it right, you'll always have that fishtailing to a certain extent as a result of the minor corrections needed to balance on the rollers. It's not as easy to ride in a straight line as it is on the road. For proof of that, try standing up while riding rollers...not very easy, as you have to maintain a smooth pedaling action and not let the bike snap from side to side. A guy I used to race with was able to ride no hands on the rollers and could pull his jersey off over his head while doing so. Way out of my league!

No hands? I struggle to just drink water while I'm pedallng. Thanks for the insight. I'll keep working at it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fishtailing on rollers? Rss Feed