General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can you get sore muscles from dehydration? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-20 4:52 PM

User image

Expert
New York
Subject: Can you get sore muscles from dehydration?
I did a 13 mile run yesterday. It was brutally hot and I drank a **lot** of water on the run, and then felt compelled to have some watered-down Gatorade when I got home (I rarely drink Gatorade on a run, so that was unusual for me). I also had one GU gel at the halfway point.

Today, my legs are totally shot. I've never felt quite this much muscle soreness after a (S-L-O-W) 13 mile run (in fact, I did a 13.6 mile run two weeks ago in less time and felt fine the next day). It feels like I ran HARD. And I didn't.

Someone at work today suggested I was probably really dehydrated or didn't get enough electrolytes after/during my run, but I wasn't sure if that could cause severe muscle soreness.

I did a 45 minute recovery run this morning and it was pretty darn miserable.

My issue is thusly: I have a 3 hour bike ride scheduled for tomorrow and right now I'm sort of dreading it. Is there something I can take today (besides Aleve?), or do (ice?) to make my legs recover faster? Like, would drinking more water now do any good? (And could that even be the reason for the muscle soreness? I didn't even realize that would contribute somehow).

2009-08-20 5:26 PM
in reply to: #2361133

User image

Veteran
West Hartford, CT
Subject: RE: Can you get sore muscles from dehydration?
I am curious too. I did my long rnun 9 miles on Sunday on the heat - spent the majority of the run in zone 4 running at a slower pace than normal. I woke up with shot legs. Did a recovery run on Tuesday and it was awful. I am supposed to go today/tonight - so we will see if I make it.
2009-08-23 4:53 PM

Sounds like it may be a little bit of rhabdomyolysis going on. The easy at home treatment would be electrolyte replacement and rehydration. Take it easy on the muscles and follow up with you doctor if the symptoms do not improve.
2009-08-23 5:22 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
How was your diet during the day before and that morning? Could just be that you started out empty and the run depleted your reserves...

But yes, dehydration can lead to very sore muscles... had the very unpleasant experience a few times when I was too dumb to realize how hot it was and skipping the fuel belt. I can run far without drinking, but I can't run far and still stay hydrated..
2009-08-23 5:36 PM

Ms. Swishyskirt

I experience more cramping in the heat as well. There is a fine line there where the heat sucks it out of the body and doesn't especially if you haven't trained in the heat much this year. If your summer was like mine, there was about 4 or 5 days to train in such heat. Anyway, I feel the recovery takes nearly twice as long when it's hot no matter what I do. One thing that has helped has been Hammer Nutrition Endurolytes. I notice a difference during racing on the run with no cramping when I pop these. I only use them for races and when it is hotter than normal for training. I notice it has had a significant benefit to my recovery time too. I read a statistic a few years ago that the amount you perspire goes exponentially higher after a certain degree/humidity and thus requires more pre and post hydrating, stretching, etc.
During some strings of hot summer days and heavy training I have used the ice bath and feel that helps recovery too.
I have had to tone back some longer rides/run a notch or use a longer warmup if doing something the next day.

Judging by that torso pic you are doing just fine and should keep doing whatever you do. Wow...I think I need that ice bath now.
2009-08-23 7:36 PM

User image

Expert
Southern Pines, NC
swishyskirt - 2009-08-20 5:52 PM I did a 13 mile run yesterday. It was brutally hot and I drank a **lot** of water on the run, and then felt compelled to have some watered-down Gatorade when I got home (I rarely drink Gatorade on a run, so that was unusual for me). I also had one GU gel at the halfway point. Today, my legs are totally shot. I've never felt quite this much muscle soreness after a (S-L-O-W) 13 mile run (in fact, I did a 13.6 mile run two weeks ago in less time and felt fine the next day). It feels like I ran HARD. And I didn't. Someone at work today suggested I was probably really dehydrated or didn't get enough electrolytes after/during my run, but I wasn't sure if that could cause severe muscle soreness. I did a 45 minute recovery run this morning and it was pretty darn miserable. My issue is thusly: I have a 3 hour bike ride scheduled for tomorrow and right now I'm sort of dreading it. Is there something I can take today (besides Aleve?), or do (ice?) to make my legs recover faster? Like, would drinking more water now do any good? (And could that even be the reason for the muscle soreness? I didn't even realize that would contribute somehow).

Probably a combination of electrolyte depletion and muscle damage-- to call it rhabdomyolysis is not entirely accurate because that implies damage bad enough to land you in a hospital.

The key for the next few days is rest, hydration, and electrolyte replacement. If your legs still feel bad I recommend taking whole days off until you feel better. Drink a LOT.

Hope you feel better...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can you get sore muscles from dehydration? Rss Feed