General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sand Key Tri vs. Downtown Orlando Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-22 1:33 PM

Veteran
Canton, GA
Subject: Sand Key Tri vs. Downtown Orlando Tri
Need some advice between the two triathlons.  I'm in nowhere near race shape having only run once (last night) in the last 6 months, swam zero times and I've ridden the bike about 6 times in the last 6 months.  Obviously I'm not going for any podium positions here, but curious if anyone has raced either of these upcoming races in the past to know how well they're run or if anyone has any suggestions between the two.  The Orlando race is much closer, so I'm leaning towards that one, but curious for some feedback.

Thanks!

Duane

2009-08-22 9:24 PM
in reply to: #2364100

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
Subject: RE: Sand Key Tri vs. Downtown Orlando Tri
as with any triathlon - this sport involves distance swimming - please be sure you can swim the distance - I'm serious!
No matter if it is a short swim, you'll likely swim in water deeper than 6 ft   As far as the rest, if you have completed the distance in training, you should be able to complete back to back on a race.

Please consider your ability to swim seriously.  I am not saying forget about triathlons, i'm saying come prepared.
Good luck!
2009-08-22 9:39 PM

Veteran
Canton, GA
Thank you for the concern!  It's the embarrassment of getting passed by the mountain bikes and walking on the run that I will have to deal with!  I grew up swimming.  Ryan Lochte's dad was my coach, so I am not concerned with swimming, at any distance.  It'll take a bit more out of me than it should, but swimming is the one leg I can comfortably complete in a respectable time without training and probably still be FOP.  Then I just watch everyone zip by me on the bike and run.  =
2009-08-22 10:08 PM
in reply to: #2364522

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
In that case - full speed ahead (FSA).  Don't worry about people passing you.
Last yr my run was 13 min pace. today I completed avg 8:45 on 3.1miles. 

Hope to meet you and see you at the races!
2009-08-22 10:37 PM
in reply to: #2364541

Veteran
Canton, GA
I did my first tri last fall and really enjoyed it.  Just moved back here to Orlando a month ago and am looking forward to getting into the sport more now.  I was training well until January and then had some things come up with my family that sidelined my training completely, so just now getting back into it.  I look forward to seeing you out there on the course soon, and congrats on the time today! 
2009-08-23 6:57 AM

User image

Buttercup

My personal choice is to always swim in the ocean rather than a lake. If that doesn't matter to you, go with the one that is closest to you.

Yesterday, I spoke with a friend of mine who did the SandKey and he had nothing but good things to say about the event.  There is (was) a portion of the run that was on the sand so you might want to consider that, too.

2009-08-24 8:27 AM

User image

Expert
Oakland, Fl
I was talking to my sister and she did the Orlando one last year as her 1st.  She really liked it other then the weeds that were touching her legs in the swim.  She said it freaked her out. 

As for the swimming, try and hit the pool a few times before the event or Lucky's Lake swim if you haven't been swimming much.  I used to be competition swimmer when I was younger and took quite a bit of time off from the pool.  When I got back in, the 1st couple weeks I was a bit rusty with my stroke and breathing.  Now I am back to swimming with ease and gliding, I just have to convince myself to pull harder.
2009-08-24 2:33 PM
in reply to: #2366031

Veteran
Canton, GA
It's official.  I signed up for the OUC Downtown Orlando race.  I think I'm going to do it since it's so much closer to home and won't entail staying in a hotel and such.  As for the weeds, they claim to have that under control this year.  That was one of the biggest complaints apparently and they specifically address it on the website for the event.  We'll see how it goes!

Thanks for everyone's input!

Duane
2009-08-29 3:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Belleair Beach, FL
Sand Key was my first tri 2 years ago and is a great race (did it last year as well). The swim is mostly along the shore and last year you could touch bottom. It is at a beautiful beach and only 2 miles from my house. Part of run is on the sand, bike has 4 bridge crossings. Go for it.
2009-09-07 9:06 AM

User image

New user
West Coast/Central Florida
I'm doing the Sand Key race next weekend as my second tri!  Just finised #1 this past Saturday and I've fallen in love all over again!  I was most afraid of the swim because I only swam three times the past year!  I finished the 1/4 mile swim in 10 min!!!  I've been running for 10 years and have completed many 1/2's and 11 full marathons, so I thought the run would be my strongest race.  I ran the measly 3 miles in just under 10 minutes and thought I'd die!!!  I did the Clearwater 1/2 last January, so know the course and am excited to "tri" agin next weekend!  Have a great time in Orlando!!!  I'll see you there for the OUC 1/2 in December!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sand Key Tri vs. Downtown Orlando Tri Rss Feed