Huntsville, Alabama
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 24m 56s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = CLYDE
Age Group Rank = 9/11
Pre-race routine:

Loaded bike and packed my bag the night before. Stopped at Mickey-D's on the way to the race and got breafast. Set up stuff - no, I did not bring a bucket - and just hung out. This is the 7th time I'd done this race so there was very little anxiety.
Swim
  • 17m 58s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Wonderful swim. I remember years ago I had to breastroke much of the swim. Now it was a piece of cake and I swam freestyle the whole way and never felt tired.
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

As I got close to the take-out point in the water I went over the transition in my head. I had this fear if putting my helmet on before I put my shirt on and then having to take it off again...so I went over in my hear "shoes, shirt, belt, helmet". I said this over and over and T1 went really fast. I bent over to put my shoes on and when I straightend up I got really dizzy.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 18s
  • 20.4 miles
  • 17.92 mile/hr
Comments:

Course was relatively flat with just a few rollers; no climbs per se.

Nothing. I did all I could do.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Racked bike, flipped off shoes, sat down and put my socks and shoes on, ate 3 Tums and took off. Very fast transistion for me.

As I was leaving T2 I was turning my race number around to the front and one of the little black cap things popped off. Dang! After the race I came back to about were it popped off and was looking for it. Some guy saw me looking around and asked what I was looking for. I told him and some other guy heard it and said "Yeah, I hate that. I've lost a few." And no sooner did he say that than he bent over and picked up the little cap thing!

I've had 'race number belt' failure before. Next time I race I'm gonna use a safety pin to secure my number to the race belt.
Run
  • 54m 36s
  • 4.65 miles
  • 11m 44s  min/mile
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Without a doubt, my weight hurt me. I was at 293 lbs this morning. For reference, I was at 255 last year at IMKY.

Event comments:

Given my lack of training from Feb 2 - July 15, I did as well as I think I could have done with only 5 weeks of training since my surgery and the extra weight I'm packing.

This is a great race. It is well run, the course is pretty cool as it is on Redstone Arsenal and goes by weapons/ammo bunkers and various military buildings. The run thru the woods was awesome!

Last updated: 2009-08-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:58 | 880 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Water was warm and felt awesome. I did a cannonball entry but not to be a clown, in years past, when I jumped in, I'd hit the muddy bottom. I didn't want to be the one to find a broken bottle on the bottom of the river.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:04
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:08:18 | 20.4 miles | 17.92 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: I pressed the bike hard. Went north into the wind most of the way out so coming back in was awesome and I hit 29 mph on a very slight incline. I kept count of who I passed and who passed me with a +1 or a -1. I got up to +14 and down to +1 but never went negative. I ended up at +4. I don't think this means anything becuase this was a TT start and I don't know if the people I was passing started after me or before me. It was fun and gave me a goal of passing people and trying not to let people pass me. Overall a very good bike race. I spent everything I had on the bike. I knew the run was gonna suck regardless so I hit the bike as hard as I could go. I could have gone a further but I don't think I could have gone any faster as I was giving everthing I had.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:54:36 | 04.65 miles | 11m 44s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: This is a new route from the previous times I've done this race so it was nice to see some new territory. Most of the route was thru the woods on trails and on gravel roads. Unlike on asphalt, I kept my head down watching the gravel so as not to hit a big rock and twist and ankle. I walked a few hills but ran most of the route.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-08-23 3:35 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Rocketman

2009-08-24 5:21 AM
in reply to: #2365141

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Rocketman
Nice comeback race. Stay healthy, train lots!
2009-08-24 11:32 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Yay you are back!  Congrats on the race!
2009-08-25 10:04 AM

User image

Master
North Alabama
Welcome back. Nice comback race to start things off too!

Keep at it!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rocketman Rss Feed