General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fixed gear bike and Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-30 4:52 AM

New user

Subject: Fixed gear bike and Sprint Triathlon
Hey everyone,

I'm just starting to think about some sprint triathlon racing next spring, and I already have a complicated question...

I own a fixed gear bike. Actually, a pretty fast one, a sort of mix between track and TT.
I'm wondering if it'll be possible (at least for the first couple of races, when I'll see if I will want to go on with the sport) to use this kind of bike for a 20km sprint session.

The main problem would be: is it allowed to use it?
(I can't find anything against on the official rules, so far)

Then, I can see some positive and negative points from it.

POSITIVE:
• It's quite fast on flat or almost flat courses.
• It's very agile and responsive, around other cyclists and corners.
• It will be very good for my training, even if I'll decide to have another bike for the race.
• T2 would be VERY quick, as I'd be using my running shoes on this one, with cages+straps on the pedals; it'd be just about taking my helmet off.
• Constant speed throughout the session.

NEGATIVE:
• Steep hills and uphill roads are off-limits.
• It might be a bit slower than a "normal" bike.
• Using it with running shoes could be quite less effective.
• I might have to put socks on during T1 (not sure about this one)
• It has a front brake only (the rear would be the pedals), again: is this allowed?
• For sprint races the clip-on tri bars must be at max as long as the brakes are. Right now on this bike I don't have the traditional road brakes, so I might just have to put one on or the race ('cause I'd like to use a tri bar end)

So, do you think this is crazy? :D
Is there a chance for me to be effective on such a setup?

Any other possible positive/negative points?

2009-08-30 5:32 AM
in reply to: #2378565

Subject: RE: Fixed gear bike and Sprint Triathlon
Have you run after riding it?  I did my first tri on a singlespeed and my legs were pretty worn down heading into T2.  I think a fixie would be worse in this regard.  I finished on the only bike I owned at the time, which was the point, but looking back I should have rented or borrowed something with gears. 

Having said that...Someone slipped a fixie with no brakes into the last race I did.  It actually kind of ticked me off because it was dangerous given that there were some pretty big hills.  I saw the guy coming down a hill headed towards the 180 degree turnaround with his feet up on the top tube.  I know some riders can handle themselves pretty well on them, but that had to be unnerving for those around him.  
2009-08-30 6:51 AM
in reply to: #2378572

New user

rexcoltrain - 2009-08-30 12:32 PM Have you run after riding it?  I did my first tri on a singlespeed and my legs were pretty worn down heading into T2.  I think a fixie would be worse in this regard.  

Hm.. in fact, I haven't tried yet.

In any case, this is quite a confirmation that – at least for a beginner's training – a bike like this can be great. (even better than one with gears?)
2009-08-30 9:20 PM

User image

Expert
I did a local sprint this year on my TT bike converted to a Fixie. Averaged 23.99mph on bike. I pre road the course with a couple different gear ratios, which I had gone a little higher on race day for a little more speed. There are two climbs on this course too, not big ones but when you are pushing it fixed, big enough.

I say do it!
2009-08-30 11:41 PM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

USAT Rule 5.11(j):  There must be one working brake on each of the two wheels.

Nonconforming bike = DSQ.

So as long as you install rear brakes, no reason not to ride your fixie (it doesn't say you have to use the rear brake, just that it be installed).

ETA:  I think the rule about aero bars not extending beyond the brake levers is an ITU rule for draft-legal racing.  Most recreational triathlons in the US are run under USAT rules which have no such restriction (but do prohibit drafting on the bike leg).

Edited by tjh 2009-08-30 11:46 PM
2009-08-31 2:14 AM
in reply to: #2379681

New user

tjh - 2009-08-31 6:41 AM

USAT Rule 5.11(j):  There must be one working brake on each of the two wheels.

Nonconforming bike = DSQ

Well, consider the fact I'm in Europe.. I found out that, for instance, in the UK there's the same rule.. even if in Italy I couldn't find anything like this.. so I guess it's on a local base.

(There wouldn't be any problems in putting on a rear brake just for racing purposes, anyway)

ETA:  I think the rule about aero bars not extending beyond the brake levers is an ITU rule for draft-legal racing.  Most recreational triathlons in the US are run under USAT rules which have no such restriction (but do prohibit drafting on the bike leg).

In Europe that rule seems to be valid for all sprint triathlons because, as far as I've seen, they all allow drafting.

By the way, the concept of "recreational triathlons" around here hasn't really spread much..

I've seen the times from this year in the area I live, and it seems that either you're quite fit (e.g: 750m swim in about 15'), or you're completely missing the core of the competition..

That's why I'm thinking a lot about the "fixed gear" application.

Still lots of time to mumble about it.. Thanks for the encouragement

2009-08-31 1:06 PM

User image

Expert
Traverse Cityish
The only thing that will put you at a disadvantage is is you are struggling up hills or run out of gear on the flats. If you use that bike for your training, there is no reason not to use it.

However I suggest leaving the too tight, rolled jeans, knit hat and messenger bag at home.
2009-08-31 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2380703

New user

However I suggest leaving the too tight, rolled jeans, knit hat and messenger bag at home.

Never heard of those :D

Well, I'm not exactly from the area of the world where this "fixie mania" is widespread.
In my city there may be something like 5 people using one regularly, and the most common bike to have is a fat-wheeler (MTB), mainly because of great offroad tracks (and few veeery steep roads) all over the area. Still no x-terra or similar in sight, unfortunately.

Anyway, I'll keep on training with this one until january/february.. then see the times I'll get, and decide if I'll want to get a "proper" bike then.

Again, thanks everyone for the replies
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fixed gear bike and Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed