General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sometimes my body makes no sense... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-31 9:41 AM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Subject: Sometimes my body makes no sense...
In mid-July, after a couple of months of completely slacking off, I got back in the groove to prep for the Longhorn 70.3. As part of that, I began a dedicated effort to drop not only the couple of pounds I picked up while loafing, but also that last 8-10 pounds that would take me from 'fit' to 'seriously lean'.

I weigh myself at roughly the same time every Monday morning, after answering nature's call but before eating or drinking anything. I try to overestimate my caloric intake and underestimate my usage. Over the last several weeks, I've typically calculated a 1.2 to 1.3 pound loss for the week and it has come out at 1.4 to 1.5 pounds. My weight does not fluctuate much at all, except for sweat loss from workouts. I make sure I drink more than enough fluids and let my body find an equilibrium there.

So last week, I get on the scale and I'm 164.4. Unfortunately, I was heading out of town that afternoon, which isn't usually conducive to training, let alone weight loss.

I behaved myself on Monday, did a light stationary bike ride, and ended the day probably 400-500 calories negative. Tuesday, though, I didn't work out, ate a moderate breakfast and lunch, and then TOTALLY pigged out at dinner. My dessert alone had to have been close to 1500 calories. Wednesday, the conference room we had booked had bigger-than-your-palm chocolate chip cookies (my special weakness) and I had several of them throughout the day. No workout again, either. Thursday: still no workout plus a complete lack of discipline when eating while traveling home. Over those three days, I was at LEAST 3500 calories over what I burned.

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I got back on track. Three solid workouts, a whole bunch of hours building my new deck, and eating right should have compensated for the debacle at the beginning of the week. I figured I'd be even for the week, maybe even a couple of tenths of a pound lighter.

The result: I LOST more weight this week than any week previously, almost 2 pounds.

2009-08-31 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2380123

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Sometimes my body makes no sense...
Occasional treat meals/days are important to keep your body guessing when trying to lose weight.  It's good to stay on track eating nutritiously but occasionally you need to mix things up and eat a bit more in order to keep your metabolism from slowing down and keep your body from plateauing weight-wise.  Not kidding, I read about this all the time and it works for me, too. I eat pretty healthily on a daily basis but regularly insert higher calorie meals or days to keep my metabolism speeding along.

Edited by happyshoes 2009-08-31 10:06 AM
2009-08-31 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2380185

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
happyshoes - 2009-08-31 7:59 AM Occasional treat meals/days are important to keep your body guessing when trying to lose weight.  It's good to stay on track eating nutritiously but occasionally you need to mix things up and eat a bit more in order to keep your metabolism from slowing down and keep your body from plateauing weight-wise.  Not kidding, I read about this all the time and it works for me, too. I eat pretty healthily on a daily basis but regularly insert higher calorie meals or days to keep my metabolism speeding along.

x2 on most counts.

Also, your body weight lags behind what you actually do. It takes a little bit (for me it's about a week) before your binge/fast/whatever shows up as an actual effect.

John
2009-08-31 11:06 AM
in reply to: #2380123

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Yeah, I kind of figured my metabolism had slowed a bit due to the dieting and then went into overdrive when I pigged out.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sometimes my body makes no sense... Rss Feed