Frederick, Maryland
United States
Tri It Now
Total Time = 39m 17s
Overall Rank = 54/312
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/64
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30 am to give myself enough time to double check my gear, eat, and drive up there. Didn't sleep much the night before (nerves?) so I was pretty dog tired, but the excitement of my first tri woke me up pretty quick once I got there and saw all the people!
Event warmup:

Jogged around a little since we weren't allowed in the pool to warm up and I didn't want to loose my spot on the bike rack.
Swim
  • 05m 13s
  • 250 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

I though the swim would be my strongest leg of the race - but I was surprised how quickly I got tired. Caught up to the swimmer ahead of me, but didn't have a chance to pass her. No one caught up to me. Overall I did well compared to other competitors, but if I can get even faster on the swim I can compensate for being a slow runner.
What would you do differently?:

Apparently I wasn't as prepared for the swim as I thought I was. I should take my swim workouts more seriously and maybe practice pool turns, which I think cost me some time.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I thought it went really well, pretty quick. Don't ride in clipless pedals so I just threw on my running shoes. Love the elastic laces.

I need to practice mounting and dismounting my bike efficiently. It wasn't very athletic looking I am sure!
Bike
  • 20m 32s
  • 4.5 miles
  • 13.15 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt so relieved to jump on the bike after the swim, which surprised me cause up till then I was dreading the bike portion. I drove the course ahead of time and knew how hilly it would be. Passed a few people right away, but also got passed by some serious bikers. Felt pretty good about it, and really enjoyed it.

I need to understand my bike better because it just seemed like I wasn't getting as much out of my bike as I should. It seems like there are a lot of triathletes that are very good bikers, so I need to be able to hold my own if I want to compete.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Already had my running shoes on so this was a breeze. My legs felt a big squishy when I got off the bike, and it was a bit tough to get going on the run. Glad I bought the race belt.

More training with bike/run combos to get used to the feeling of getting off the bike and starting the run.
Run
  • 13m 35s
  • 1.5 miles
  • 09m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt like the little engine that could! I was tired, but still having a blast! Legs felt like jelly, and it was hard to get momentum. But I never stopped running, and even gave it a push once I saw the finish line.

Run more. Need to get stronger and have more endurance for the run portion. Need to get faster so I don't loose any advantage I gain in the swim. Practice running after biking more to get used to that jelly legs feeling.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with a big smile.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I thought I trained well, but my training was very informal. I need to push myself more in training so I feel more confident going into the race and have more energy for the run.

Event comments:

Only tri I have ever done so don't have anything to compare it to, but I had a great time so want to keep going! The race director did a great job giving us all the info we needed and helping us be prepared. Great volunteers!

Last updated: 2009-08-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:13 | 250 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/64
Overall: 36/312
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Pool This was a bit weird. We started 5 secs apart based on our predicted swim times. I was seeded 57 so was in the pool in the first few minutes. Had to sit and drop into the pool - kind of awkward. The swim was also spaced out over two pools so we had to exit one and walk to the second. Would have liked to just keep swimming the whole distance.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes