General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 25th Annual Sprint Tri this weekend in Long Branch, NJ Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-09 11:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Subject: 25th Annual Sprint Tri this weekend in Long Branch, NJ
http://www.monmouthcountyparks.com/program/searchdetails.asp?ID=17584

Is anyone doing this tri this weekend in Long Branch??  I can't find any info on where / when to pick up packets, route info, nothing.

Its my first tri and getting kinda nervous.  Can anyone point me to any useful info??

Thanks!!
Steven

2009-09-09 11:45 AM
in reply to: #2396736

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Orange
Subject: RE: 25th Annual Sprint Tri this weekend in Long Branch, NJ
Accroding to the link you provided - THERE WILL BE NO SATURDAY PACKET PICK-UP THIS YEAR, and according to the registration PDF - http://199.233.80.44/documents/131/sprint_triathlon_09.pdf

check is race day 6:15- 7:30
2009-09-09 12:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Thank you!

I finally got an email today shorty after this post with more details from the organizer.  Feel better now.  Still nervous.  In 4 days I will become a triathelete Cool. I know I can , I know I can....

In case anyone else needs the details here it is....

MONMOUTH COUNTY PARK SYSTEM

26th ANNUAL SPRINT TRIATHLON

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 13, 2009         7:45 AM

INFORMATION SHEET

DIRECTIONS TO RACE:  Garden State Parkway North or South to Exit 105 for Eatontown/Long Branch.  Exit ramp will lead directly through tollbooths and onto Highway 36 Eastbound.  Follow 36 eastbound to its intersection with Ocean Avenue and the entrance to Seven Presidents Oceanfront Park (about seven miles from parkway).

PACKET PICK-UP:        Packets will be picked up on race day beginning at 6:15am

RACE COURSE

S W I M

(1/4 Mile)

The swim portion of the race begins on the beach south of the main pavilion and adjacent to the restroom building and volleyball courts (see map).  The four-wave (staggered) start works as follows:

7:45 a.m. -        Men, ages 14-35 years (white swim caps)

First Wave Competitive Racers –male & female (indicated on registration form)

(orange swim caps)

7:48 a.m. -        Men, ages 36-44 years

(red swim caps)

7:51 a.m. -        Women, all ages

(light blue swim caps)

7:54 a.m. -        Men, ages 45 and up

(yellow swim caps)

You must wear the color-coded swim cap, which you receive in your race packet.  The race will start approximately 200 yards inland from the water's edge and will thus entail a short beach run before entering the water.  The 1/4 mile (ocean) horseshoe-shaped swim route heads straight out from the shore, north along the shoreline, around the buoy markers, and back to shore. REMINDER:  YOU SHOULD HAVE EXPERIENCE IN OCEAN SWIMMING.

IF THE LIFEGUARDS DEEM THE WATER UNSAFE, THE SWIM WILL BE REPLACED BY

A SHORT BEACH RUNTHE LIFEGUARDS DECISION IS FINAL.

B I C Y C L E   P O R T I O N

(12.5 Miles)

Bikes MUST be place in your numbered spot in the transition area by 7:30am.  Only those racers with a race number will be permitted to enter the transition area.  You will pick up AND return your bike to the SAME numbered spot.  Please note:  When you return to the park you will be directed back to the transition by our Ranger Staff.

BIKE COURSE FOR 2009:  

• Exit Seven Presidents out the NORTH GATE – go RIGHT on to OLD OCEAN AVE.
  • Go RIGHT on to AVENEL and continue NORTHBOUND on OCEAN BLVD.
  • Stay NORTH on OCEAN BLVD. through Monmouth Beach into Sea Bright. 
  • You will TURN AROUND to head SOUTH through the parking lot in front of the MAD HATTER restaurant.
  • Head SOUTH on OCEAN BLVD. back through Sea Bright and Monmouth Beach.
  • Continue SOUTH on OCEAN BLVD. through Long Branch and you will TURN RIGHT on N.LAKE DRIVE.
  • You will circle LAKE TAKANASEE on to S. LAKE DRIVE and then head NORTH on OCEAN BLVD.
  • You will make a RIGHT onto JOLINE AVE (main entrance to Seven Presidents) and then a LEFT on OLD OCEAN BLVD. and continue back to the SOUTH GATE to the bike transition area.

Some intersections will be controlled and traffic will not be closed  along route.  PLEASE BE CAREFUL!  PLEASE FOLLOW SIGNS AND COURSE MONITORS DIRECTIONS.  We have worked very closely with the Long Branch Police Department, Sea Bright Police Department and Monmouth Beach Police Department to secure this course. 

R U N   P O R T I O N

(3 Miles)

After exiting the transition area, runners follow the park road directly in front of the pavilion building.  Runners exit the main entrance of the park, and go left on OLD OCEAN AVE – make a left onto Seaview Ave to the concrete oceanfront promenade. Continue down the boardwalk, and continue to the turnaround point and feed station at NORTH BATH AVE..  LOOK FOR THE BIG ORANGE PYLON AND OUR COURSE MONITORS – THAT IS THE TURNAROUND POINT. When returning you will enter the park at the south gate off of the boardwalk. PLEASE FOLLOW DIRECTIONS FROM COURSE MONITORS AND SIGNS.  Please stay to the right when running on the boardwalk and promenade. RUNNERS MUST STAY ON BOARDWALK.

OFFICIAL RULES:

1. All competitors must follow the principles of good sportsmanship at all times.

1. An ANSI approved bike helmet must be worn throughout the entire bike portion.

1. No drafting allowed; you must maintain at least a two-bike-length space between yourself and other riders.

1. Your bike must be stored in its numbered position on the bike racks.

1. Only race participants are permitted in the transition area.

1. It is your responsibility to be familiar with the course of the race.

1. You must display your race numbers as follows:  (a) on the front, top tube of your bike frame, and (b) on the front of your shirt, especially when crossing the finish line.

PLEASE NOTE:

•        There are two water stations:  one just north of the finish line, and one at the

turn-around point along the run course.

•        A post-race refreshment station is located at the trailer, north of the pavilion.

•        The awards ceremony takes place at approximately 11 a.m. in the pavilion.

•        This is a rain-or-shine event.

•        No participant substitutions or refunds AFTER SEPTEMBER 4th.

•        Official results can be found at www.monmouthcountyparks.com.

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:  IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE CALL THE MONMOUTH COUNTY PARK SYSTEM'S DORBROOK RECREATION AREA AT

(732) 542-1642  ext. 23 or email at [email protected]

GOOD LUCK!

WEATHER CANCELLATION NUMBER:  (732) 8..., Ext. 6.  In the event of severe weather conditions, please call this number on the morning of the race to learn if it has been canceled.

PLEASE NOTE:  There is NO Saturday race packet pickup for this year.  All pre-registered racers will pick up their packet and shirt on Sunday morning beginning at 6:15am.

Day of race registration will begin at 6:30am.

MONMOUTH COUNTY PARK SYSTEM

26th ANNUAL SPRINT TRIATHLON

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 13, 2009         7:45 AM

INFORMATION SHEET

DIRECTIONS TO RACE:  Garden State Parkway North or South to Exit 105 for Eatontown/Long Branch.  Exit ramp will lead directly through tollbooths and onto Highway 36 Eastbound.  Follow 36 eastbound to its intersection with Ocean Avenue and the entrance to Seven Presidents Oceanfront Park (about seven miles from parkway).

PACKET PICK-UP:        Packets will be picked up on race day beginning at 6:15am

RACE COURSE

S W I M

(1/4 Mile)

The swim portion of the race begins on the beach south of the main pavilion and adjacent to the restroom building and volleyball courts (see map).  The four-wave (staggered) start works as follows:

7:45 a.m. -        Men, ages 14-35 years (white swim caps)

First Wave Competitive Racers –male & female (indicated on registration form)

(orange swim caps)

7:48 a.m. -        Men, ages 36-44 years

(red swim caps)

7:51 a.m. -        Women, all ages

(light blue swim caps)

7:54 a.m. -        Men, ages 45 and up

(yellow swim caps)

You must wear the color-coded swim cap, which you receive in your race packet.  The race will start approximately 200 yards inland from the water's edge and will thus entail a short beach run before entering the water.  The 1/4 mile (ocean) horseshoe-shaped swim route heads straight out from the shore, north along the shoreline, around the buoy markers, and back to shore. REMINDER:  YOU SHOULD HAVE EXPERIENCE IN OCEAN SWIMMING.

IF THE LIFEGUARDS DEEM THE WATER UNSAFE, THE SWIM WILL BE REPLACED BY

A SHORT BEACH RUN.  THE LIFEGUARDS DECISION IS FINAL.

B I C Y C L E   P O R T I O N

(12.5 Miles)

Bikes MUST be place in your numbered spot in the transition area by 7:30am.  Only those racers with a race number will be permitted to enter the transition area.  You will pick up AND return your bike to the SAME numbered spot.  Please note:  When you return to the park you will be directed back to the transition by our Ranger Staff.

BIKE COURSE FOR 2009:  

·         Exit Seven Presidents out the NORTH GATE – go RIGHT on to OLD OCEAN AVE.

·         Go RIGHT on to AVENEL and continue NORTHBOUND on OCEAN BLVD.

·         Stay NORTH on OCEAN BLVD. through Monmouth Beach into Sea Bright. 

·         You will TURN AROUND to head SOUTH through the parking lot in front of the MAD HATTER restaurant.

·         Head SOUTH on OCEAN BLVD. back through Sea Bright and Monmouth Beach.

·         Continue SOUTH on OCEAN BLVD. through Long Branch and you will TURN RIGHT on N.LAKE DRIVE.

·         You will circle LAKE TAKANASEE on to S. LAKE DRIVE and then head NORTH on OCEAN BLVD.

·         You will make a RIGHT onto JOLINE AVE (main entrance to Seven Presidents) and then a LEFT on OLD OCEAN BLVD. and continue back to the SOUTH GATE to the bike transition area.

Some intersections will be controlled and traffic will not be closed  along route.  PLEASE BE CAREFUL!  PLEASE FOLLOW SIGNS AND COURSE MONITORS DIRECTIONS.  We have worked very closely with the Long Branch Police Department, Sea Bright Police Department and Monmouth Beach Police Department to secure this course. 

R U N   P O R T I O N

(3 Miles)

After exiting the transition area, runners follow the park road directly in front of the pavilion building.  Runners exit the main entrance of the park, and go left on OLD OCEAN AVE – make a left onto Seaview Ave to the concrete oceanfront promenade. Continue down the boardwalk, and continue to the turnaround point and feed station at NORTH BATH AVE..  LOOK FOR THE BIG ORANGE PYLON AND OUR COURSE MONITORS – THAT IS THE TURNAROUND POINT. When returning you will enter the park at the south gate off of the boardwalk. PLEASE FOLLOW DIRECTIONS FROM COURSE MONITORS AND SIGNS.  Please stay to the right when running on the boardwalk and promenade. RUNNERS MUST STAY ON BOARDWALK.

OFFICIAL RULES:

1.      All competitors must follow the principles of good sportsmanship at all times.

2.      An ANSI approved bike helmet must be worn throughout the entire bike portion.

3.      No drafting allowed; you must maintain at least a two-bike-length space between yourself and other riders.

4.      Your bike must be stored in its numbered position on the bike racks.

5.      Only race participants are permitted in the transition area.

6.      It is your responsibility to be familiar with the course of the race.

7.      You must display your race numbers as follows:  (a) on the front, top tube of your bike frame, and (b) on the front of your shirt, especially when crossing the finish line.

PLEASE NOTE:

There are two water stations:  one just north of the finish line, and one at the

turn-around point along the run course.

A post-race refreshment station is located at the trailer, north of the pavilion.

The awards ceremony takes place at approximately 11 a.m. in the pavilion.

This is a rain-or-shine event.

No participant substitutions or refunds AFTER SEPTEMBER 4th.

Official results can be found at www.monmouthcountyparks.com.

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:  IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE CALL THE MONMOUTH COUNTY PARK SYSTEM'S DORBROOK RECREATION AREA AT

(732... ext. 23 or email at [email protected]

GOOD LUCK!

WEATHER CANCELLATION NUMBER:  (732..., Ext. 6.  In the event of severe weather conditions, please call this number on the morning of the race to learn if it has been canceled.

PLEASE NOTE:  There is NO Saturday race packet pickup for this year.  All pre-registered racers will pick up their packet and shirt on Sunday morning beginning at 6:15am.

Day of race registration will begin at 6:30am.

2009-09-09 3:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Orange
Good luck on your innauguration
2009-09-11 10:48 AM
in reply to: #2397488

User image

Regular
Marlboro, NJ
Good luck, I hear the long branch series are good as they have a few throughout the year. I was suppose to race at Seaside this weekend but need to pass.

And remember...yes you can!!!

Edited by bk broiler 2009-09-11 10:48 AM
2009-09-11 3:53 PM
in reply to: #2400850

bk broiler - 2009-09-11 11:48 AM Good luck, I hear the long branch series are good as they have a few throughout the year. I was suppose to race at Seaside this weekend but need to pass.

And remember...yes you can!!!

This isn't part of the long branch tri series.  The courses do overlap, but are far from the same.  This one should be a little bit faster, and very straight.

Be prepared for surf, or a canceled swim.  WaveWatch.com is calling for 5 foot waves.

Also, I am good friends with, and have trained with many of the lifeguards that work at the park.  They are all very comfortable in the water, and know what they're doing (a few of them competed at lifeguard national championships last month).  While they certainly won't do anything dangerous, they may be slightly more willing to let people into the water than your typical lifeguard (who probably can't swim as well as you would hope).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 25th Annual Sprint Tri this weekend in Long Branch, NJ Rss Feed