Multisport Canada
21C / 70F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 46m 20s
Overall Rank = 271/309
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 29/30
Pre-race routine:

Slept in to 5, hopped in the Mazda, and drove to Wasaga.
Event warmup:

Ran to the car to drop off my pants, then ran back.
Swim
  • 29m 5s
  • 750 meters
  • 03m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

First off, a month ago I was afraid of the water, and was completely unable to do anything other than a doggie paddle. Choosing a 750m swim was probably a bit ambitious, but the timing didn't work out for me to participate in the tri-a-try. I had done 750m in the pool once before, so why not give it a shot?

This was probably not a good idea. I was in the second wave, and quickly let myself drop to the back. I had swam a little in open water once before, and mostly didn't feel like I was going to drown. But in the pool I've been really starting to come onto my own. As soon as the water was at a level where I couldn't touch anymore, panic started to set in.

I looked around for a kayak to rest on, but when I found it there was already a man from my wave on it. In the excitement of the race I completely lost my form from the pool, and started relying on a combination of a few strokes freestyle, followed by a rest on my back and a little backstroke.

My navigation was horrible on my back, sometimes going almost completely perpendicular to the course. This was fine until the next wave caught up to me. And the next wave. And the next. Most swimmers were good enough to avoid me, but I had a few collisions, and even got punched in the face.

At the halfway point I had one of the volunteers in a kayak as if I was okay. I just said "this is NOT the pool."

The second turn was much easier with the waves pushing me back in. When the ground came closer to my face I was relaxed enough to start to regain my pool form. It was an amazing feeling knowing that I was actually going to finish.

I've never been as elated as I was when exiting the water. I completely conquered one of my biggest fears!
What would you do differently?:

Where do I start?
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

I completely forgot to practice the transition. I ran from the water completely disoriented, pulled off my cap while running, put my earplugs and goggles inside, and carried it to the bike. I had a lot of trouble putting my shirt on over my wet upper body. It completely distracted me from what I should have been doing.

I was sure I was forgetting something, but I wasn't sure what. It turned out to be my helmet. As soon as I realized (when I saw the exit), I stopped and put it on. Brutal.

Hopping on the bike was a disaster. I missed the seat and caught the top tube with my inner thigh. That could have been better, but at least I was moving forward. At least until my right calf completely cramped. It was teasing me during the swim, but at this point it felt like a baseball. I massaged it while dragging my shoes on the ground.

A spectator commented how it looked like that didn't work out too well for me, and I could only reply "crap, cramp." (I had learned to sensor my transition cursing much better this time).

I eventually got riding on the tops of my shoes, and really slowly got them in. The velcro strap on my right slipped out of the loop, and I wasn't able to fix it until I had finished the first turn.

Where do I start? Practice transitions. Lots of practice. And figure out a way to keep my straps working, and to get a shirt on a wet body.
Bike
  • 40m 54s
  • 20 kms
  • 29.34 km/hr
Comments:

I was more than a little tired from the swim, and the cramp during the transition really cramped my style. I was able to stretch it out enough to be able to push pretty hard. I was definitely not passed, and loved picking off cyclists one-by-one. I must have passed at least fifty people.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

I was just slow. I spent a few seconds after getting my socks and shoes on to make sure I didn't forget anything again. My mind must have been mushy, because really... what is there to forget?

Practice.
Run
  • 32m 43s
  • 5.45 kms
  • 06m  min/km
Comments:

The run was as expected. I didn't stop for water, and that worked well to keep my spot. About 3.5k in I got some moderate IT band pain. I don't usually get it during a run (it usually affects me after), but since I was so determined to finish I just ignored it as much as I could. Decidedly average run, followed by a great finish!

Nothing, other than train for more speed.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate pizza, stretched the hell out of my calf and IT band. Nursed injuries.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The horrible swim. And more training is needed for more speed, especially in the run.

Event comments:

Very well organized race. Came home with a fuel belt. Can't wait for the next one.

Last updated: 2009-09-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:05 | 750 meters | 03m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 30/30
Overall: 305/309
Performance: Bad
Suit: none
Course: Triangle course, probably about 6-7 feet deep. Support kayaks and motorized boats everwhere.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 02:08
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:40:54 | 20 kms | 29.34 km/hr
Age Group: 26/30
Overall: 184/309
Performance: Good
Avg HR 158
Wind: Little
Course: Not very hilly, mostly nice roads.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 102
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:32:43 | 05.45 kms | 06m  min/km
Age Group: 27/30
Overall: 238/309
Performance: Good
Avg HR 167
Course: A nice run along the beach, along the boardwalk, through a park, and around a neighbourhood.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes