United States
HFP Racing
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 54m 9s
Overall Rank = 124/153
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/6
Pre-race routine:

Had to be up at 4 am to head down there. Grabbed a bagel and peanut butter. Wondered WTH I was thinking signing up for a race so far away and not staying close by. Drank lots of coffee to keep me awake
Event warmup:

Got my packet, unloaded bike and set up transition area. Was very dark still. Need to remember a flashlight next time. Did some stretching of my problem calf...walked out and looked at the beach.
Swim
  • 17m 14s
  • 750 yards
  • 02m 18s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was good. Once I got into the water where it was deep enough to actually swim I just kept telling myself to relax and breath. I passed quite a few people. This is my favorite part of the whole race.
What would you do differently?:

I wore a wet suit since I never had before. The water temp was still very warm and I almost felt too warm when I was getting close to the end. Probably will not wear a wet suit next year if the water temp is still so warm. Took too long in transition to make it worth it.
Transition 1
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

Getting the wet suit off took a little time, but wasn't too bad.

Have trouble with my right foot getting into the cage. I try to get it in before I start cycling as when I am going I really have trouble. I stood there for what seemed like a few minutes trying to get my foot in pedal, with no luck. I finally starting cycling and decided to get it in as I was actually moving

Figure out how to get my feet in faster or purchase some new pedals.
Bike
  • 59m 55s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 12.45 mile/hr
Comments:

After finally getting my foot in and thinking that now I could start getting a good cadence, I had to manipulate through several quick turns between cones. Of course that took me a while. Finally out on the course, think I'm going to start booking now...but no...huge hill right away. I almost thought I was going to have to walk to get to the top. But I didn't I never got off the bike on any of the hills.

Train on hills, train way more on the bike. I really have not trained much at all on my bike. Get a NEW bike. I had the oldest bike on the course by several years (at least from the 80's maybe even the 70's) I seemed to be the only one who struggled so much up the hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

T2 went well, no issues

Nothing. This was actually a good part of the race
Run
  • 33m 41s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were spent from the hills on the bike and then going up hill to begin with was tough. I finally did get into a decent pace at the top of the hill, which then had some small ups and downs.

I should have pushed myself a little more. I felt like I was holding back in case I couldn't make it the whole way and didn't want to end up walking. I should have run more and walked through the water stations if I had to.
Post race
Warm down:

few stretches. Loaded everything back in my car and tried to get out of there before the rain hit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not training on the bike, not having a lighter bike. Next year I will train more on the bike and upgrade some things.

Event comments:

This was a great race and if I had been better trained on hills and bike I probably would have been much happier with my performance. But since this is only my 2nd tri ever and my 1st one dealing with any hills, it was definitely a learning experience. Now I have a time and a goal to beat for next year. I will be back!

Last updated: 2009-09-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:14 | 750 yards | 02m 18s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 81/153
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:19
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:59:55 | 12.43 miles | 12.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/6
Overall: 6/153
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:41 | 03.11 miles | 10m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/153
Course: 500 yard hill at the very beginning of the course through the woods
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-21 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Subject: Hueston Woods, Triathlon/Duathlon

2009-09-21 2:01 PM
in reply to: #2417175

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Hueston Woods, Triathlon/Duathlon
Congrats on the race, way to stay on the bike and fight those hills, that is a victory within itself.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hueston Woods, Triathlon/Duathlon Rss Feed