General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Canada : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2010-06-07 7:59 PM
in reply to: #2419111

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB
Subject: RE: Ironman Canada : Official Thread
June 19th I'm flying out from Edmonton to Penticton for the day to ride the bike course. Is the course marked year round? I'm only concerned about finding the Cawston out and back.

2010-06-07 10:28 PM

User image

Colin, flying out from Edmonton for the day to ride the course???  Wow!  I went for the weekend, but flying in for the day??? Harcore!!

The course isn't really "marked", but it's pretty easy to follow.

After doing the rollers and coming into Cawston, turn right on Beck's Road (it's a short road going over a small bridge).

Then turn right onto Upper Bench road and follow it all the way to the end.  Turn around and go to the other end, finally turning a right back onto the highway.

Look at http://www.ironmap.com/ironmap/ironmagnifier.htm if that helps.

Good luck to you.  I've done the entire ride once, and another time did Richter on one day, Yellow on another. 

Let us know how it goes! :-)

Michelle

2010-06-08 4:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB
Thanks so much for the info, I just bought a copy of that ironmap, too cool.  Now I just need to pray for good weather. Also, carrying water will be a bit of an issue but I seem to recall there are some gas stations and stuff along the way that I can buy some bottled water and gatorade at. Not quite the same as having someone hand it to me as I ride by but hopefully I can maintain the same pacing on the bike.  I'm gonna need to hit a local pool for a shower too, I don't think Westjet would appreciate a smelly triathlete fresh off of Yellow Lake jumping on the plane
2010-06-08 11:40 PM
in reply to: #2909277

User image

No problem.  You should refuel in Osooyos at the gas station.  Sucks to put more stuff on your bike just before climbing Richter, but you won't have another chance until after the rollers in Cawston.  I am going back in July to do an unsupported ride just like you are doing, so that is my plan anyways.  Then I can refill at the "Big Bear" fruit stand after the out and back, before starting the climb to Yellow Lake.

Go online and check the pool because I am pretty sure that it's closed for renovations.  Maybe jump in the lake with a bar of soap???

What is your plan for transporting your bike on the plane?

2010-06-09 11:49 PM

User image

Regular
Surrey BC Canada
I'm in as a volunteer this year and probably next then hope to sign up for IMC 2012.  I want to have a few years under my belt as well as a few 70.3s
2010-06-10 2:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB

I have a really good bike box actually that I've used a few times. It called an "air caddy" and the best part is how minimally you have to break down your bike. Seat off, front wheel off and handlebars down. Everything else stays as is.  It looks like a giant piece of cake and always gets lots of questions. Plus there's enough room that I put my transition bag in there as well so I don't need to check any tri gear with my regular luggage.

2010-06-10 2:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB
As for the pool I'm flying out of Kelowna and the YMCA is open, I checked  to make sure I could de-stinkify somewhere.   It will be whirl-wind but I'm really doing my homework. After the hours I've put in training I would hate to overlook something and be surprised on race day. I'm not expecting to qualify for Kona or anything crazy I just don't want to short myself on any aspect of my training. I'm a ultra-clyde so finishing will be awesome as a goal.  Hopefully sub-15 hrs.
2010-06-14 11:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB
Anyone know of an organized ride on June 19th I can tag along with?
2010-06-22 3:47 PM
in reply to: #2889061

Regular
North Plains, Oregon
Subject: RE: Seeking Penticton accommodation for Ironman Canada Aug 29th - any offers?
Just had to cancel IMC. There is now a 2 bedroom house available.
2010-07-16 8:05 PM
in reply to: #2899128

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Nope. . .  I'm from Dallas, TX, 435 ft.  I had no problem with the altitude.  You'll do fine. . .
2010-07-19 7:51 PM
in reply to: #2986449

User image

Regular
Port Moody
Thanks Shamgar, appreciate the info

Edited by DaveBIM2010 2010-07-19 7:51 PM

2010-07-23 5:02 AM

Hey all, I am from UK and I am looking to do IMC in 2012. I am looking to come over for a 10 day holiday in 2011, take a couple of days watch the race then register for 2012.

In your opinion am I likely to get an entry by doing this?

I dont want to gamble on any online slots being available plus I get a holiday in the process Laughing.

Any tips/advice would be welcome for taking this approach.

Thanks all

2010-07-24 9:18 PM
in reply to: #2999385

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
IcemanUK - 2010-07-23 4:02 AM

Hey all, I am from UK and I am looking to do IMC in 2012. I am looking to come over for a 10 day holiday in 2011, take a couple of days watch the race then register for 2012.

In your opinion am I likely to get an entry by doing this?

I dont want to gamble on any online slots being available plus I get a holiday in the process Laughing.

Any tips/advice would be welcome for taking this approach.

Thanks all

Yep you'll be fine. If your in town for 2011, why not volunteer? then you'll get to pushed to the front of the line for 2012 entry.
2010-07-25 8:51 AM

IcemanUK:
Volie duty for 2011 will get you pushed up front for spots for 2012 so if you are going to be in the area, that is a really good choice. And, even if they don't sign you up for volie duty beforehand, you can check in with the Ironman office in Penticton -- they often have volie needs to cover people who signed up but then can't attend or do their shift. There are shifts for setup/takedown/and race day, so there is lots of opportunity. You just have to keep reminding them...generally the team captains do 1:1 contact well beforehand, but then there are always people who can't find accommodation or have family/work issues and don't end up attending, so the volie spot needs filling last minute.

If that is not an option, there is a lineup that forms right after Ironman finishes on the Sunday, for registration on Monday am. I have always heard that folks that do this lineup get a spot, but again, no guarantees. The order of sign-up is: Saturday, folks doing IMC that yr can signup for the next year. Then volies and so on(usually on the Monday I think, but not sure about this). And then folks who do the overnight lineup. There are also lottery and community (fundraised) spots. Sorry, I don't know where the online signup falls in all this as I have never used this route.

I strongly suggest you book your accommodation while you are in Penticton in 2011. The places close to the finish book up fast and have regular clubs, etc that rtn year after year, so they get priority. If you like camping, there are spots avail at South Beach, but it definitely adds challenge to Ironman to coordinate camping as well as the event. It is worth looking at accom. and getting a feel for who has space/bookings and places you like or don't like.

Enjoy your travels when you come
2010-07-25 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3002838

User image

Hi Guys,

Great info. We signed up via volunteer last year with much success. One clarification, participating athletes can sign up on Thursday or Friday this year but not on Saturday.

Cheers!

http://www.ironman.ca/schedule.php

2010-07-25 11:11 PM

You are right about the Thurs/Friday signup...I am wrong about the Saturday sign up for participating athletes....my husband recalls going on Thursday last yr to sign up for this year.
Happy Ironman-ing

2010-07-26 11:28 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
I'm volunteering this year and hopefully next year with the thought of doing IMC for 2012. 

So excited to be a part of the race - good luck to everyone racing!  Laughing
2010-08-06 1:11 PM

User image

Regular
Port Moody

How's everyones training coming for the big day? 3 weeks away. wow ! where does time go. I have had some minor injuries that has kept me back some from meeting my weekly goals. It is always something that aches or is tweaked or is pulled. I sure hope I am ready Check my logs and let me know what you think, although at this point it really does not matter does it. 2 more big weekends of training to get me to the line. How about the rest of you out there, are you all ready ?
Dave

2010-08-06 4:39 PM

User image

Hey Dave,

I had a look at your logs, and it looks good to me, but I am an Iron Virgin, so what do I  know?  You had some nice long rides, swims, and have had quite a few bricks.  What was your longest run?  Longest ride?  It looks like you are in Vancouver?  Have you done IMC before?  Have you ridden the IMC course before?

You are right, it is creeping up on us fairly quickly, huh?  I was just thinking "who moved up the race to 3 weeks from now?"  Can't believe it is so soon, almost taper time!

I have been lucky with injuries, but had a total crap bike this week.  Had 135k planned, but got out 40k and just didn't have it.  I was so slow, even got off my bike to check if I had a flat (yup, one of those rides)...  I couldn't sustain any consistent pedalling, just that horrible "pedal, pedal, coast" kind of ride.  So at 40k I just decided to pack it in and turn around, so managed an 80k ride, but man was it slow and painful.  Thought with under 4 weeks to go "gutting out" a ride when I clearly didn't have it wasn't going to help me on race day.  I have already ridden a 180k, so I know that I can do the distance.  Other than that though, training has been going fairly consistent.

Enjoy your taper time, and good luck on the big day!

Michelle

2010-08-06 4:44 PM

User image

New user

So. Cali
yeah, just over 3weeks.
2010-08-06 7:26 PM
in reply to: #3028452

User image

Regular
Port Moody

I have not done IM before so its my first as well. looking forward to it though.I am going up next weekend to ride most of the coarse. I have ridden from Keromeos to Penticton up Yellow lake and down but not the first 3/4 so I am going to do that and maybe the rest if time permits.

Longest ride has been 155km, Longest run has been 25 km or about 2.hrs. Planning a 6 hr ride this weekend trying to get to 170-180km weather will dictate that. Long run of 2.5hrs and 4000m swim. big weekend just hoping weather does not make it really crappy training. Can't wait for taper ! its been a long time since the start of it all. You always wonder if you have done enough I guess when its your first IM.

good luck to all and stay injury free for the last stretch

2010-08-06 10:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey gang...are we gonna plan a BT swim or something?
2010-08-07 2:02 PM

New user

Hi Everybody..

Looking for accommodation for supporting team for this year Ironman Canada between August 23 til the 30 to accommodate 10 people....possibly with pool or near one of the lakes..

Thank to you to all

Marco
2010-08-08 8:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
I cant believe how fast time has gone by!!!! I have been unfortunately blessed with an injury and have ran a total of 7 miles in 3 weeks. I have a heel spur, achillies tendonitis and tarsal tunnel syndrome all in the same foot! I am sooooo frusterated. I guess it is what it is and worse comes to worse I will walk the marathon. Should totally do a BT meetup somewhere.
2010-08-08 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3029260

RE ACCOMOD. FOR SUPPORT:
If it gets to the point that you are really strapped for accom. here are the only 2 suggestions I can make.
South Beach campground on Skaha Lake usually has spots for last minute folks...try to get a spot near the campers and RVs as the tenting area is more crowded...and most folks in RVs go in to watch tellie in the evening.
There are also a couple of "not fancy, but clean" motels in OK Falls that might still have rooms...don't know about pools, sorry.
Good luck with your accomodation challenge...hope you find a good spot.

Edited by adp 2010-08-08 10:02 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Canada : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 4