Orange County Triathlon
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 00m 36s
Overall Rank = 13/32
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Arrived to race by riding my bike from the Hotel to T1/Swim Start. Got there early than I needed and had some time to stand around and chat with other competitors from across the country - was a relaxed pre-race routine. The temps were a little chilly considering the heat we all knew was coming. Maybe in the high 60's, but no sun at 5:30am.
Event warmup:

I was able to ride to the start from the hotel, so I used that as the bike warm-up. I wasn't able to jog much because the T2 is two miles from the swim start. I did swim in my new speed suit for 10' minutes. THe water was so much warmer than the air at the time, we all stayed in the 81 degree water right up to the start.
Swim
  • 18m 36s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

THe swim started off very good. Surprisingly with the field their I thought I would be much further back... At the first buoy I was in third and felt very comfortable. But immediately after that buoy started to get a little sluggish, so I backed off some and used people passing as a new draft. Happy with swim.
What would you do differently?:

I definitely felt my swimming was in good shape, but I think more long OWS is what I need to do more of to compete at this level.
Transition 1
  • 00m 62s
Comments:

The speedsuit is more difficult to get off than the wetsuit, so a minor struggle around the ankles. Getting on the bike was fine, except I took too long to get in shoes because of the immediate hill out of T1

GEt in shoes quicker.
Bike
  • 1h 01m 24s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 24.28 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was interesting. Right out of transition it seemed like others were just blowing by me. I didn't let this effect me, but was wishing I was faster on the bike. Everyone looked so powerful and comfortable prancing up the hills, as I lugged up them in my small chain ring. However, after about 6 miles out on the course and all the really "fast" had gone by, I found myself in the mix with a bunch of others. They would gap me, then I would re-catch. The kind of "cat & mouse" game would go on for a while. The nice thing was no one sat on anyone's wheel (drafting in this event would certainly be frowned upon from all competitors). At the turn around, which no one was allowed to preview because of private property, I started to feel stronger. I focused on consistency: cadence, effort, confidence, etc... With this tactic in place I started to pass a couple of people, and gain on some others. At one point on the bike, Joe Welsh (Jr. National Champ from '08) passed me and his dad yelled "12th, 2:50 back". I was dumbfounded...I was in 13th!!! Wow!!! That psyched me up. I ended up passing Joe, but some others passed me right before the final descent, which worked in my favor. I was able to sit back and coast into T2 feeling great!

THis season has been somewhat of a disappointment on the bike. I certainly didn't commit as many hours to the saddle as I should have, but this is part of the balance. However, in order for me to compete at this level again, I can't forego 2-3' on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

Because T2 was positioned 2 miles from the start, athletes were required to check in their running appareal the day before. Unfortunately flying into T2 I forgot where our rack was. Not a huge mistake, but I spent 2-3" looking in the rack before mine for my sneakers thinking my stuff had been moved. Still managed to have the 3rd fastest T2.

Given more attention to T2 set-up the day before. Simply forgot where I was racked
Run
  • 38m 55s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt really good on the first 3 miles... There were two in front of me that passed me quick out of transition, but then only gained on me slighty during this time...until the hill(s). I did a counting method to get me over both hills and avoided looking to see where the top was. I felt strong coming over the first one as I mentally and physically prepared approaching it. On the second hill, which was definitely more difficult I kept my feet moving and actually passed someone going up (couldn't believe it myself :-). Coming down the descent of Vista De Lago, and back out on Marquitte my RIGHT hammie cramped... I didn't care, I told myself to keep running, but it definitely slowed me some and with only 1.5mi to go I wasn't bailing now! I fought thru it for about 1 min and regained my form, but was forced to ease it up someone coming back up the hill on the out & back. At this point there was the guy fromo VA only 50yds back and I didn't want him to be me... Once I crested the final hill I went hard. I opened up my stride and just went for the finish.

I would drink more fluids and take in more nutrition. For some reason I was in the moment and forgetting the nutrition.
Post race
Warm down:

Massage... Fruit Juice and lots of Oatmeal Raisin Cookies :-)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of bike training

Event comments:

Disappointed with lack of nutrition on the run course. They only served water...yet they had Hammer & Clif Bar as sponsors...

Last updated: 2009-09-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:36 | 1640 yards | 01m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 11/32
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Velocity
Course: 3/4 Rectangular swim. Big yellow buoys to sight.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:62
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:01:24 | 24.85 miles | 24.28 mile/hr
Overall: 22/32
Wind: None
Course: Through the Santaigo Canyon...meaning many hills.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:38:55 | 06.21 miles | 06m 16s  min/mile
Overall: 24/32
Performance: Good
Course: The course starts off perfect for me. Basically flat, with only a few up & downs to go under bridges. The first 2.5miles was this way. It really gave me a chance to feel my form and effort. Not much shade like they mentioned and temps were now creeping into the mid 80's (at 9:30am). After 2.5miles you enter into a neighborhood with lots of turns. Next was the first of two BIG climbs... the intitial one cuts you thru a park (grass), then up a Fire Tower trail (all dirt and wood chips). Very steep for the first 15yds, then gradual - yet steep 10% the remaining 1/4mi. Once at the top you run wood chips and soft dirt for a bit before dropping back down onto the asphalt trail again. In there, you felt like you where running thru a zoo - beautiful with shade, pretty palms, but up & down, over & around, etc... - cool though! Then when you come out of the "zoo" you meet the VISTA DE LAGO - the 1/2mi climb at 10-13% the entire way. This comes at mile 4 of the run... Ouch!!! When you reach the top, you turn left - you are put back on a bike trail which I thought would begin the descent towards the finish - I was wrong. You make a hairpin turn for your eyes to see you have another 300yds of climbing, but not as steep. From there, you stay on the bike trail with a pretty fast descent towards the main road (Marquitte Rd) where you finish with an out (down) & back (uphill)...and after the final uphill, you are rewarded with a 3/4mi downhill finish which was perfect. The chutes where line with the State Flags, not to add you course over the Finish line of the 1984 Olympic Bike course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-30 7:25 AM

Glens Falls, NY
Subject: Best of the US

2009-09-30 5:00 PM
in reply to: #2433626

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Subject: RE: Best of the US
Awesome Kevin!! Simply awesome! Why the hell couldn't you go :37 faster? WTF?!!
2009-09-30 5:07 PM
in reply to: #2433626

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Best of the US

Wow, heck of a race. I did it as well for the 2nd year in a row and it sure doesn't get any easier. For me that's challenging course. Great job and congrats.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Best of the US Rss Feed