United States
Lake Royale HOA
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 22s
Overall Rank = 128/182
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/20
Pre-race routine:

Woke up a little earlier than I thought I needed to. Everything was packed I just had to put the bike on the car. It would have worked except trying to get the family ready wasn't as smooth. Plus we had to pack Zack's soccer stuff, including clothes for me and snacks for the team. Peanut butter bagel for breakfast.

Left about 6:15, 15 minutes behind. I dropped the family and most of my stuff off at transition just before 7 and drove out to park. Almost forgot to pump the tires then biked 2 miles. Met Alan in transition, confused him with another BTer, and then had to run... Pit stop then found chip pick up and body marking was right there, too. Back to set up transition. I can't believe how complicated that use to be. Grabbed the wet suit and swim stuff and met the family and fought with my wetsuit. I had 20 minutes left to get it on so no stress. Sipped on a slimfast.

I went down to the start thinking how much better it felt to get there with time to spare, took a few strokes and realized I had my wedding band on. It slips off easy in water so I had to get out, run back to the family, trying to get Zack to run to meet me halfway but I must look like an alien in my wetsuit, swim cap, and gogles. Made it back and still had time to spare. I did a much better job loosening up the wetsuit so it wasn't racking me or choking me too much.
Event warmup:

The ride in was great, 10 minutes to relax. Didn't really warmup for the race, but got the feel and relaxed. Swam a little (50 yards would be generous).
Swim
  • 11m 54s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a great swim for me! The water didn't feel cold at all and was cleaner than any OWS I've done. I stayed with the group for the 1st 3rd and would have held on longer but I kept backing off when I got someone's feet. The crowd was not difficult, I was just nervous because I hear horror stories and I'm usually behind the crowd.

I swam amazingly straight and rounded the buoys almost perfectly. I struggled a little after the last buoy, I just wasn't making the progress I had been.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe be a little more aggressive, but maybe not. Better to slow a little than get kicked hard and stop.
Transition 1
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

I'm a little embarassed about this one. I'm not sure why I'm so slow in T1. I'm a little too anal about putting the wetsuit out of the way neatly. I do a lot of checking to make sure I have everything and second guessing myself. Took a gel here.

Hurry! I need to take the gel running into T1. I forget, especially whering a wetsuit.
Bike
  • 54m
  • 15 miles
  • 16.67 mile/hr
Comments:

For a hilly course I kind of liked it. A lot of people had trouble starting up the hill from T1, but it was fine for me, but only because I was lucky. I didn't remember to have it in a low gear, it just was. Most of the turns were fun and made me feel fast, a few had some sand and were 90 degrees or more I did terrible on. I mangaged to treat alot of the rollers like rollers and get most of the way back up at a good speed.

I was trying to race people who were in my age group, but I didn't see any on the bike course. Some I couldn't read their numbers, but most were probably ahead of me. At least those behind probably stayed behind.

Took a get at about 10 miles. I screwed up the dismount. The line wasn't clear and the girl telling me to slow down was motioning with her hands in a way that made me think that was the dismount line. So I got to run with my bike an extra 20 yards instead of coasting.

Be sure where to dismount. Maybe next season I'll take some spacers out.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Reedemed myself for T1. Still could be faster. I have started just carrying my run number to put on as I run.

Just be a little quicker without rushing so much that I get frazzled.
Run
  • 28m 26s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I passed someone in my age group and knew it. I'm usually oblivious but really tried to take note of every runner's age group to do the best I could. Didn't notice anyone (in my age group) pass me.

Even the downhills were steep enough to be challenging, but I was pleasanly surprised each time I came to a mile marker. Ate a pack of sport beans up to mile 2. Skipped the last water stop; that close to the end, just get to the finish line.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Focus on standing. Not too long after finishing I walked with the family clear of all the traffic and the course. Then rode to get the car and pick them up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me. If I'm honest I need to learn swim technique, vastly improve my T1 performance, get fitted on and maintain my bike better, ride more, and run more.

Event comments:

I think it's a challenging but fun course. As spread out as the parking is they really handle the logistics well. I didn't get to stay for the food because my son had a soccer game, but they were grilling out for us. Hate I missed that. Could have used volunteers at one more turn on the bike course.

Last updated: 2009-09-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:54 | 547 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/20
Overall: 128/182
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless Wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:11
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:54:00 | 15 miles | 16.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/20
Overall: 130/182
Wind: Little
Course: A lot of hills and turns in the 1st and last 2 miles. Rolling country roads otherwise.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:26 | 03.11 miles | 09m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/20
Overall: 122/182
Course: Hilly
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-03 9:12 PM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Subject: Lake Royale Sprint Triathlon

2009-10-04 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2441228

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: RE: Lake Royale Sprint Triathlon
Geart job man!  Awesome T2 split!!
2009-10-07 3:20 PM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

Looks like they revised the overall rankings so I edited these. I moved up in the overall on everything except for a one place drop on the bike. Overall I moved up two spots.

2009-10-07 3:25 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Good job Mark!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Royale Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed