General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I need as many opinions as possible Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-04 6:42 PM

Subject: I need as many opinions as possible
I am signed up for IMAZ which is in 7 weeks. I own a real estate company and as you know times are tough. I have had to take a second job to make ends meet so my training hours have taken a hit. I explained my problem to a family member and have gotten some help financially for the next two months to get my body ready for the race. Please look at my logs and let me know your opinions if 7 weeks is enough. I biked 70 this morning and followed it up with a 4.25 mile run but cramped a little at the end so I did not run the complete 5. I have been thinking of my first IM for a year now and I do not want to DNF. I am afraid that if I do not do this one then it might not happen down the road. Please advise.

Greg in Houston

2009-10-04 7:23 PM
in reply to: #2442046

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Subject: RE: I need as many opinions as possible
you already paid - go for it
2009-10-04 9:09 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Tough decision.  It looks like you have half of distance/hours for 2009 in s/b/r I would go with.  I don't know if you have any runs 17+ miles or any rides over 85 miles, etc.  Looking at your paces you are going to have a really long day.  Only you can make the decision, but if you do go for it, you need to really pace yourself.  Without the depth of training that most folks go into an IM with, you are going to have to keep your bike slow and keep your run slower and just make the cutoffs.  You can probably finish it, but you are really looking at a long day.  In your favor is tha the bike/run courses are flat and the tempurature should be mild.  That's all I have for ya.  I wouldn't, you might, it is gona suck 8).  I would have a really hard time not racing if I had paid for a ticket though.  I am glad I am not in your shoes, a really tough choice.     
2009-10-04 10:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Do you think that you can make the cut off times?  Are you ok with finishing within the 17 hours and for it to hurt a little (or a lot)?

If the above answers are yes, then I say go for it.
2009-10-04 10:33 PM

User image

Greg-

This is a challenge. Here's what I would do......

It sounds like you really want to give it a shot and that is important. I haven't looked at your logs, but assuming you can already swim the race distance under the time limit, work on increasing your time on the bike to 7 hours in zone 1 or zone 2. Don't worry about speed at all-you don't have time to train for that and if you do speed work you will sap energy away from the endurance stuff that is critical for you. Take in 300 calories per hour on the bike rides. You can add about an hour per week to your long bike rides. You have time for 2 build weeks, one recovery week, then 2 more build weeks.

7 hours on the bike is probably longer than you will spend on race day, but it builds overall endurance without the pounding of running. For the run, plan on a walk-run strategy. In the 2 build weeks add 30 min per weekly long run and do all of your long runs 5 min run to 1 min walk. Run continuously for the rest of your weekly runs.

Do a race distance + swim once a week ( maybe up to 1.5 hours continuous swimming) along with 2 other shorter sessions-No speedwork, just technique.

I don't know if you will hold together for this, but it will get you pretty far if you are young and fit,have no injuries and are willing to risk a DNF of missed time cut-off.

Write me with questions, I can give you some more ideas.

Ingrid

2009-10-05 10:39 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Ingrid's plan is right on the money if you are going to go through with it.  Very well thought out and should get the job done if you have enough base in place and you have the self-control to follow it. 

2009-10-05 10:44 AM
in reply to: #2442392

User image

Expert
lake forest, California

Ingrid Loos - 2009-10-04 8:33 PM Greg- This is a challenge. Here's what I would do...... It sounds like you really want to give it a shot and that is important. I haven't looked at your logs, but assuming you can already swim the race distance under the time limit, work on increasing your time on the bike to 7 hours in zone 1 or zone 2. Don't worry about speed at all-you don't have time to train for that and if you do speed work you will sap energy away from the endurance stuff that is critical for you. Take in 300 calories per hour on the bike rides. You can add about an hour per week to your long bike rides. You have time for 2 build weeks, one recovery week, then 2 more build weeks. 7 hours on the bike is probably longer than you will spend on race day, but it builds overall endurance without the pounding of running. For the run, plan on a walk-run strategy. In the 2 build weeks add 30 min per weekly long run and do all of your long runs 5 min run to 1 min walk. Run continuously for the rest of your weekly runs. Do a race distance + swim once a week ( maybe up to 1.5 hours continuous swimming) along with 2 other shorter sessions-No speedwork, just technique. I don't know if you will hold together for this, but it will get you pretty far if you are young and fit,have no injuries and are willing to risk a DNF of missed time cut-off. Write me with questions, I can give you some more ideas. Ingrid

X3 - If you stick to a plan like this you would put yourself in a great position to finish. Nice job Ingrid!!

Edited by jbjboc 2009-10-05 10:44 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I need as many opinions as possible Rss Feed