Set-Up Inc.
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 52s
Overall Rank = 33/287
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/45
Pre-race routine:

got up at 6:00, drank more than 16oz of water and had an orange, a slice of ezekiel bread w/1T peanut butter, still hungry so added some brown rice, loaded the car and hit the road at 6:50; drank about 12oz of coffee on the way, arrived at 8:25, used porta-potty, set up transition area, got chip and body marking, ate luna bar and a little more water at 9:00
Event warmup:

started warm-up at about 9:15, walked 4', jogged 2', walked 1', jogged 2', walked 1', jogged 5', HR was going too high so walked again and then jogged to a total of 16:30; perhaps coffee was elevating HR; used potty again, got wetsuit and headed to swim start, after meeting, got in and swam no more than about 25 yds, just got wet
Swim
  • 14m 40s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

swam really straight to the first bouy, drifted left a little to the next bouy and the finish, but better than in the past, felt like sighting was MUCH better and easier; had planned to breathe bilaterally in a 2:3 pattern, but needed to breathe every other stroke - probably a sustainable pace for a longer distance, but could not have sustained any faster
What would you do differently?:

continue to try to eliminate left drift completely and improve swim strength and speed
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

had to holler to swimmer in front of me who was walking slowly to get around her, ran fast to transition, but forgot to take off cap and goggles on the run, had a LOT of trouble getting suit off, but then shoes on well and ran fast to bike mount, forgot to reset cycle computer before race, so was resetting it while running with the bike; ranked 17/45 in AG

clear bike computer before race!!! And mostly I need to be able to get my wetsuit off faster.
Bike
  • 38m 55s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.16 mile/hr
Comments:

I was able to push my pace pretty well the whole time, especially after my breathing came more under control in the beginning; passed a lot of people, including several coming into turns; used 16oz. of water and 1 scoop of Perpetuem - this worked really well, easy to drink a lot on the bike and I liked not messing w/gels; I had to keep reminding myself to keep pushing my pace, especially after so many long slow rides lately, but I don't think I dwindled too much at any point; lots of good passing!

I was very happy with this bike ride. I don't think I would change anything.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

I swerved a bit trying to get feet out of shoes but not too bad. The dismount line was further down the road than I though, so I messed with it a bit early. Run with the bike and racking the bike was great. I fumbled a lot with my shoes, but once they were on, I grabbed my stuff and took off at a good pace; ranked 6/45 in AG

Need to get my running shoes on more quickly and keep practicing taking shoes off at the end of my training rides.
Run
  • 26m 22s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I had to walk briefly coming out of transition to get my breathing under control so that I could get my stride/breathing rhythm going; I was working hard, but felt like my training had prepared me to sustain a good effort. It felt easier than my run in the spring, could have kept going if the race were longer, and I had a bit of a sprint to the finish line, carried about 16 oz. of water and took two brief up-hill walk breaks to sipped a couple of times, but good bike hydration was probably sufficient; I was not suffering on this run the way I usually am! - excellent!

I don't know that I would have changed much here. I paced myself pretty well, but since I had some energy at the end, I possibly could have pushed harder somewhere. I will continue to work on longer speed intervals and tempo runs.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked a little, drank a full bottle of cold water, sat down to rest for a few minutes and then stretched. Changed clothes, ate a banana and some trail mix and then got a bowl of Brunswick Stew - AWESOME!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think my weakest area today was my transitions - especially getting the wetsuit off and the running shoes on. My training has been paying off and I was happy with my overall performance, so I will just keep up the training plan.

Event comments:

As usual, Setupevents ran a very well organized, smooth race consistent with their others; however, the Brunswick stew afterward was way above average and the best Setupevents post-race food ever! I would do this race again just for the stew! This is also a beautiful venue and a great place for your first race, and served well as a good measure of progress at the end of the season for me.

Last updated: 2009-01-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:40 | 820 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 18/45
Overall: 102/287
Performance: Good
Suit: zoot wetsuit
Course: rectangular course to the right in the warm part of the lake
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:53
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:55 | 12.43 miles | 19.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/45
Overall: 24/287
Wind: Little
Course: rolling hills, mostly smooth pavement with a couple of slightly rough spots; on average, first half was uphill and second half had some fast down-hill sections; beautiful course!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:22 | 03.11 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/45
Overall: 60/287
Course: same type of course as the bike - some rolling hills, but a good stretch at the beginning and end was on grass, through the woods, and then on gravel, probably really good for my slightly sore pelvis, but the uneven terrain is a little tough on the pace
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-10-05 8:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Subject: Giant Acorn Sprint

2009-10-05 10:07 AM
in reply to: #2442703

Extreme Veteran
Reston, VA
Subject: RE: Giant Acorn Sprint
Congrats on a great race yesterday!  I agree, hard to beat that Brunswick stew for post-race food.  It was delicious!
2009-10-05 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2442950

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Great job Karla, looks like you raced it exactly like you planned.
2009-10-05 2:46 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Love to see it all come together. Great job!
2009-10-05 7:57 PM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Great job - you are going to kick a*s at B2B HIM.  And super swim improvement - keep up the goo work.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Giant Acorn Sprint Rss Feed