General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carrying bottles of Nutrition on Bike – Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-10-07 3:50 PM
in reply to: #2447806

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Carrying bottles of Nutrition on Bike –
Marvarnett - 2009-10-07 10:44 AM
TexasMPGal - 2009-10-07 1:28 PM

remember, your nutrition is not supposed to double as your hydration.  So, if ou are doing a 6 hr IM ride with 6 20oz bottles of Infinit, you'll be taking in ALL that and needing to take in a bunch of water too.  You're going to have to stop to pee a lot or have one full gut once you get to the run...just my thoughts on why I don't do it your way.

I 100% disagree with this one.  I didn't take a sip of water during IM.  (I did grab water bottles to douse myself with though)

That is the purpose of Infinit, so you have your nutrition & hydration all wrapped up in one neat little package.  300 Kcal/bottle adn I went through almost all 6 bottles for my 5.5 hrs on the bike.

I agree with your disagreement!  If one bottle of regular strength Infinit was enough hydration, that's all I would take in.  And now that it's cooler, that's all I do for training (about 1 bottle per hour).

However, in the hotter summer months around here, one bottle of fluids is not enough and I have to supplement my Infinit or GE with a couple bottles of water (I don't want TOO many calories).

2009-10-07 3:59 PM
in reply to: #2448288

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Aikidoman - 2009-10-07 3:50 PM
Marvarnett - 2009-10-07 10:44 AM

remember, your nutrition is not supposed to double as your hydration.  So, if ou are doing a 6 hr IM ride with 6 20oz bottles of Infinit, you'll be taking in ALL that and needing to take in a bunch of water too.  You're going to have to stop to pee a lot or have one full gut once you get to the run...just my thoughts on why I don't do it your way.

I 100% disagree with this one.  I didn't take a sip of water during IM.  (I did grab water bottles to douse myself with though)

That is the purpose of Infinit, so you have your nutrition & hydration all wrapped up in one neat little package.  300 Kcal/bottle adn I went through almost all 6 bottles for my 5.5 hrs on the bike.

I agree with your disagreement!  If one bottle of regular strength Infinit was enough hydration, that's all I would take in.  And now that it's cooler, that's all I do for training (about 1 bottle per hour).

However, in the hotter summer months around here, one bottle of fluids is not enough and I have to supplement my Infinit or GE with a couple bottles of water (I don't want TOO many calories).

Infinit or any sports drink can leave me a bit cotton mouthed...hence the desire for water.  It's like drinking soda...it doesn't really quench your thirst...
2009-10-07 4:11 PM
in reply to: #2445663

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Here are two slightly off subject hints: 

There is a stretch of road at IMFL that is VERY bumpy.  Lots of things got ejected from lots of bikes.  The backup at SN is a real good idea.

For the SN bag, should you decide to leave a spare nutrition:  Buy one of those bubble wrap envelopes and put your nutrition cold out of the refrigerator in it.  It will still be quite cool if you decide to pick it up.  Last year by the afternoon it was starting to get a little warm and I was real glad to have cold nutrition.

Good luck at IMFL!

2009-10-07 5:19 PM
in reply to: #2447806

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Marvarnett - 2009-10-07 12:44 PM

WOW. That's interesting.

I tell you what, riding in 90-110 degree heat... that's probably not a great plan. I think one should take in water and use the Infinit as nutrition- not hydration.

I know you are a coach and all... but my 4 hour bottle of Infinit did not suffice for my hydration and nutrition.

2009-10-07 5:42 PM
in reply to: #2447771

User image

Marvarnett - 2009-10-07 10:30 AM
luejs - 2009-10-07 12:53 PM Is there a specific reason folks don't just use regular strength bottles of Inifinit and then carry extra powder or have powder in Special Needs? I want to keep it as simple as possible, and so during my training rides I just carry 4 regular strength 20 oz. bottles and ziplocs w/ powder for additional bottles that I make up with water I purchase (or water I would get off the course in a race). I typically don't carry any water on my bike. This seems to have worked for me so far, but since it seems like I am in the minority, I'd like to figure out why my system doesn't work for others, so I can figure out if perhaps I might want to think about something different for race day. I am doing IM Coz in November, and so have some time to try out new systems. The one or two times I tried double strength bottles, I found it confusing b/c I was trying to dilute bottles w/ water along the way and would forget whether I had already diluted a bottle or not and so didn't know what I was drinking. Under my system, I just drink the bottle and when it's done, I know I'm done and how many calories I've had. The only downside I can see is that I have to stuff my pockets w/ ziplocs full of powder. But maybe there are others? Please advise!

This is exactly what I did for IM Louisville.  I had 3 bottles onboard and 3 bottles in special needs.  No need to play Chemist on course.

Stopping at Special Needs cost me about a minute and it was a nice little break.

Huh?   My Infinit setup was infinitely more simple than 6 bottles, and all things being equal, faster since no SN stop is required (I agree my one potty stop was worth it).  2 premixed three hour bottles.   Sip at whatever interval, followed with a gulp of water, in bottle behind the seat which is replaced by water at aid stations.  Make sure about 1/3 bottle or so of Infinit is taken per hour.  First bottle done, chuck it, start on #2.  No mixing other than the hotel room the night before.  Plus, you can keep the important mix in the frame cages,  if you eject a water bottle, no biggie.  Eject Infinit, start plan B

I will say I don't really understand the whole dilute it into your aero bottle system, or carry powder and mix on the course.  I couldn't keep  that straight, nor do I want to.  My setup was about as simple, idiot proof (which is good for me) and efficient as there is

As for hydration, my understanding and experience is a regular bottle needs no additional hydration. Concentrated bottle, you do.  But like Jen, I like water anyway just as sort of a cleanser, especially if it's cold

ETA 0- I decided to pre mix the extra 3 hour bottle for SN instead of just powder.  I froze it the night before, but for god's sake make sure the top is closed!   once it starts to thaw it'll leak out!  And don't fill it to the brim, as it'll expand as it freezes.  Don't know if it worked as I never got it

Of course, the MOST IMPORTANT THING is to find out  what works for you (I don't mean to rag on Dan's method, the above just worked better for me), and PRACTICE it on long rides before the race. That's the only thing that matters.

Edited by ChrisM 2009-10-07 5:49 PM
2009-10-07 5:50 PM
in reply to: #2448453

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
KSH - 2009-10-07 7:19 PM

WOW. That's interesting. I tell you what, riding in 90-110 degree heat... that's probably not a great plan.

I think one should take in water and use the Infinit as nutrition- not hydration. I know you are a coach and all... but my 4 hour bottle of Infinit did not suffice for my hydration and nutrition.

I may be wrong, but I believe you are comparing your concentrated bottle (probably ~1200Cal?) to Dan's 300Cal bottles.

Shane

2009-10-08 7:42 AM
in reply to: #2448453

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
KSH - 2009-10-07 6:19 PM

WOW. That's interesting. I tell you what, riding in 90-110 degree heat... that's probably not a great plan. I think one should take in water and use the Infinit as nutrition- not hydration. I know you are a coach and all... but my 4 hour bottle of Infinit did not suffice for my hydration and nutrition.

It would if you were out for a 3.5 - 4 hr ride (assuming 1 bottle/hr).  Liquid is liquid.  If you liquid has your nutrition as well, it's a double bonus.  I found that I actually wanted more infinit as the day went along. 

You're taking in 20-22 oz of fluid an hour with Infinit.  So how in the world are you going to now take in another 20-22 oz of water in that same hour?  During a 5 hr ride, I would take in 5 water bottles (ish).  So why would one want to not get in their calories as well?  Just doesn't make sense.

ETA:  This plan worked wether I was training/racing in 90+ heat or 75+ "cool"

Edited by Marvarnett 2009-10-08 7:43 AM
2009-10-08 7:45 AM
in reply to: #2448491

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
ChrisM - 2009-10-07 6:42 PM
Of course, the MOST IMPORTANT THING is to find out  what works for you (I don't mean to rag on Dan's method, the above just worked better for me), and PRACTICE it on long rides before the race. That's the only thing that matters.

If you get Nothing from this thread...  Note the above!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carrying bottles of Nutrition on Bike – Rss Feed  

of 2