General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cyclist-hit-by-car-during-SOMA-Triathlon-Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-26 9:23 AM

User image

Subject: Cyclist-hit-by-car-during-SOMA-Triathlon-Race
Did you guys see this?  Anyone who would do this has to be impaired - if u know what I mean? 

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Cyclist-hit-by-car-during-SOMA-Triathlon-ride-65951522.html

2009-10-26 11:05 AM
in reply to: #2479379

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
Subject: RE: Cyclist-hit-by-car-during-SOMA-Triathlon-Race

The sound wasn't working for me, but I have to admit, I had to laugh a bit when the clip showed her (looks like a her?) being loaded into the ambulance and she's messing with her watch/garmin.  Always worried about our data I guess?  Sucks for her race though.  Anyone know what direction she was going?  I assume the car missed the turn and cut into the course?

2009-10-26 11:11 AM
in reply to: #2479594

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
kmanus - 2009-10-26 9:05 AM

The sound wasn't working for me, but I have to admit, I had to laugh a bit when the clip showed her (looks like a her?) being loaded into the ambulance and she's messing with her watch/garmin.  Always worried about our data I guess?  Sucks for her race though.  Anyone know what direction she was going?  I assume the car missed the turn and cut into the course?

The general theory is that she was making a u turn for whatever reason. The triathlete is John Sellinger, Local triathlete.

From John's Facebook page: "Out of nowhere a green Volvo - trying to make a u-turn? I didn't even have time to hit the breaks. Reports are that I flew 15 feet in the air and apparently I landed square on my right hip. I cleared the car in the air! Massive dislocation and a... broken pelvis. I will have surgery some time in the next 24 hours to bolt my pelvis back together"

John
2009-10-26 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2479603

User image

Expert
tkd.teacher - 2009-10-26 9:11 AM
kmanus - 2009-10-26 9:05 AM

The general theory is that she was making a u turn for whatever reason. The triathlete is John Sellinger, Local triathlete.

From John's Facebook page: "Out of nowhere a green Volvo - trying to make a u-turn? I didn't even have time to hit the breaks. Reports are that I flew 15 feet in the air and apparently I landed square on my right hip. I cleared the car in the air! Massive dislocation and a... broken pelvis. I will have surgery some time in the next 24 hours to bolt my pelvis back together"

John

I must have approached the accident right when it happened because they had held up all the racers while they attended to the injured cyclist. Many people were pissed and yelling to let them through. I told them, "There's a person who's badly injured up there!! Take it easy!" I probably lost 4-5 minutes just sitting there, but after witnessing Dean's crash last month, I could care less about my time. I hope the best for John and his recovery.
2009-10-26 1:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maricopa, AZ
My prayer's go out to John for a successful surgery and fast recovery.
2009-10-26 1:52 PM

User image

Regular
My best of wishes are with John.

On another note, any reason why azfamily could get away reporting a right turn [instead of a U turn]. The later puts more responsibility on the driver in all scenarios.

Its painful to see incidents so frequently and drivers being so irresponsible. Its even more difficult to ride being aware and also seeing how reckless some of them are out there. I had a few first hand experiences myself over the weekend; when at times I was forced to get off the shoulder and stop in certain cases.

Driving at 45; coming as close as one can to a cyclist just don't help. Not to mentoin that some n**ty ones, take the liberty to honk right next to you......Cry

Just disheartening to see another fall!

2009-10-26 2:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson

Ok, pretend all those she's are he's in my above post (in reference to John).  I remember that corner being pretty well staffed during Nathan's so I would expect the same for SOMA, the driver just kind of slip by them or something?  I'm guessing she was driving S on Priest and tried to make a U-turn to go N on Priest?  If I recall there was no W-bound traffic on Rio Salado at all, so it wouldn't make sense to be making a u-turn there.  And all the other corners *should* be far enough away from race traffic. 

2009-10-26 2:52 PM

User image

Master
any reason why azfamily could get away reporting a right turn [instead of a U turn].

Because we no longer have "real" news anymore?  Because "journalists" no longer make any attempt to research or verify their information before shooting it out to us?

2009-10-26 3:04 PM

User image

Expert
Tempe
Silver member
I went past the injured triathlete right after it happened, but I didn't see the car, so I didn't know what happened. All I know is that I saw the biker on the ground, curled up and not moving, and I started to get flashbacks from Dean's accident. It took me a mile or so to get my head back into the game. My thoughts and prayers do go out to John and I'm so glad that he wasn't injured worse...  to see him not moving was very hard to see, but would have been worse for him.

It was a little scary being in the last wave and on the bike course with so few bikes out during my third loop. There were TWO cars (two separate incidents about 15 minutes apart) that weaved through the cones directly in front of me on Rio Salado east of McClintock  to cut through the course to get into/out of Tempe Marketplace. One was at the intersection of Smith Road, and the light turned green, so the lady just gunned it and went through the intersection even though there were cones (and potential cyclists!)  in the way. I had time to slow down and miss her, but she was close enough to hear me yell! There was a policeman posted at that intersection, but I don't know exactly what he was doing there because he was standing in the shade on the sidewalk and certainly didn't have anything to do with directing traffic...

Edited by Rotorkim 2009-10-26 3:12 PM
2009-10-30 11:24 AM

This seems to be happening frequently at races. What do you think we can do about this?
Petition race groups to provide more police?
Request officers working at the races to attend/review certain training materials about what they should be doing, and the frequency of injuries?
More graphic signs to motorists making clear what they cannot do, and the number of injuries to cyclists? When I was driving outside Vancouver, there was a lot of pre-Olympics road construction going on. They had of course, the reduced speed limits where the road crews were working. And they had signs - pictures of construction workers and their children, saying something to the effect of please drive slowly, my Mommy/Daddy is working out there. These were very effective - despite the annoyance of creeping along on the only highway to Whistler, I wasn't going to speed.
Really, I think the best option is if we could just completely close off streets where the race is occurring, but I know this is tough to do.
2009-10-30 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2489263

User image

Master
Peoria, AZ (Near Lake Pleasant)

sanchors - 2009-10-30 9:24 AM This seems to be happening frequently at races. What do you think we can do about this? Petition race groups to provide more police? Request officers working at the races to attend/review certain training materials about what they should be doing, and the frequency of injuries? More graphic signs to motorists making clear what they cannot do, and the number of injuries to cyclists? When I was driving outside Vancouver, there was a lot of pre-Olympics road construction going on. They had of course, the reduced speed limits where the road crews were working. And they had signs - pictures of construction workers and their children, saying something to the effect of please drive slowly, my Mommy/Daddy is working out there. These were very effective - despite the annoyance of creeping along on the only highway to Whistler, I wasn't going to speed. Really, I think the best option is if we could just completely close off streets where the race is occurring, but I know this is tough to do.

Hard to say what can be done:

1- AZ drivers can not be bothered to flick that very heavy turn signal in their car (or the majority of turn signal lamps are burnt out in this state), so hoping one of them was bright enough to follow general safe driving practices is out the window.

2- Most officers that work construction sites or races have already put in a 40 or more hour work week and are just trying to make the time and a half to pay their bills - no energy or intrest in proving anything more than a uniform as detriment like a fake video camera at Walmart.

3- Race ristrictions are already very heavy in Tempe due in part to the light rail and in part to a struggling city budget.  This has already caused dramatic increases in fees that are passed to participants - money is a dirty little thing that provides gleem not safety and I am sure the city of Tempe is more worried about the buck than the biker.

I say we all practice hard at un-clipping quickly and removing a shoe so we can scratch the crap out of vehicles at a moments notice.  If a few more drivers had their favorite Mercedes, Volvo, H2, or BMW marked the hell up - perhaps some drivers would give the bikers the 3' required by law.

I am now going to dance in sunshine and drink from clouds in my little section of la-la land where the bunnies are beautiful and we all just get along!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cyclist-hit-by-car-during-SOMA-Triathlon-Race Rss Feed