General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Left Hip Pain on the side Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-30 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Subject: Left Hip Pain on the side
Used to run consistently years ago and never had this sort of thing . . .

New runner, I just started running about 6 or so weeks ago - light running, only to about 35 minutes, at about 3.8 mph and only about 2x per week (using aqua jogging to supplement).  So not pushing it at all.  Things are going pretty well, but lately I am getting a nagging left hip pain in the muscles/tendons on the side of the hip.  It seems to be more muscles as it burns, than actual pain like I hurt myself.  Because of this, I find that it changes my gait and in turn increases my HR.  When I notice the change in my gait I try to correct but my proper position (for me) makes it hurt.

I try to do side leg lifts, side band steps and use the foam roller on the hip (hurts like hell on the left, no pain on the right).

I am sure working more on my aero bars on the bike this week didn't help much as well as doing alot of leg work in the pool 

HELP, what can I do?

2009-10-30 8:56 AM
in reply to: #2488739

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Left Hip Pain on the side

Have you had a gait analysis in a running store? I had something very similar and it was completely fixed by switching shoes.

Edited by Nipper 2009-10-30 8:57 AM
2009-10-30 9:16 AM
in reply to: #2488796

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Yep, had the gait analysis and have custom made running orthotics.
2009-10-30 10:57 AM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX

Running can be cruel when you're new or are starting up again after a long time away.  It really puts a lot of stress on the feet, knees, hips, etc., even if you're not doing lots of miles.  In my case I got IT band problems when I started running a few years ago.

It sounds like you're doing the right things.  Maybe just walk and aqua jog for the next week or two or three, then get back to light running.

FWIW, I'm going through the same or similar thing with hip pain, albeit with higher mileage, simply from ramping up the mileage and intensity too quickly.  For me, four weeks of reduced mileage seems to have cured the problem.  Over the last few years I've found that I need to monitor those small running pains and discomforts that pop up on occasion, and reduce volume before the problem gets worse.

Brian

2009-10-30 12:31 PM

User image

Modesto, California
carrie639 - 2009-10-30 6:41 AM Used to run consistently years ago and never had this sort of thing . . .

New runner, I just started running about 6 or so weeks ago - light running, only to about 35 minutes, at about 3.8 mph and only about 2x per week (using aqua jogging to supplement).  So not pushing it at all.  Things are going pretty well, but lately I am getting a nagging left hip pain in the muscles/tendons on the side of the hip.  It seems to be more muscles as it burns, than actual pain like I hurt myself.  Because of this, I find that it changes my gait and in turn increases my HR.  When I notice the change in my gait I try to correct but my proper position (for me) makes it hurt.

I try to do side leg lifts, side band steps and use the foam roller on the hip (hurts like hell on the left, no pain on the right).

I am sure working more on my aero bars on the bike this week didn't help much as well as doing alot of leg work in the pool 

HELP, what can I do?

Have someone check your bike fit also, Q-angle maybe causing irritation or swelling in hip area, running will make it allot worse, just another possibility.
2009-10-30 1:35 PM
in reply to: #2489465

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Good idea . . . didn't even think of that.  Went to an Adamo (no nose on it) seat in the last month and have noticed that I am having toe numbness.  Called the bike shop and they said I could be sitting a little too far back affecting my toes, my hip, etc.

Worth a try adjusting the seat a little forward.

Thanks

2009-11-03 8:48 AM

User image

New user

Southern California
Is your pain located on the fleshy side of your hip (in the muscle/glut medius) or down on the pointy bone a little lower (like where briefs would hit your leg).  If it is in the lower area, it could be bursitis.  If it is higher, it could be scar tissue in the muscle.  I see alot of new runners with fibrotic tissue there, especially in the anterior fibers of gluteus medius or in the muscle belly of tensor fascia latae.
2009-11-06 9:25 PM
in reply to: #2494955

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Pain in definitely on the side.  Side leg lifts and foam rolling seem to be helping.  Did a run on Tuesday and pain was minimal and not enough to force a gait change.

Maybe from me being a new runner (after years off)??
2009-11-12 4:49 PM

User image

Master
New Jersey
I knowingly took a risk and upped my mileage significantly in order to get ready for a marathon. I failed as my hip developed the same symptoms you described - especially that burning sensation, which my PT said is irritation of the muscle/tendons.

It seems to be much better now. I've stopped running for about 2 weeks. Iced it during the initial days after the injury. Still cycling - that seems ok. I started doing more stretches for it, as well as the hip abductor machine (the one where you push your legs apart). it seemed for a while there I'd have one good day where it felt fine, then the next day it was burning again for no reason. I haven't felt it for about 3-4 days, so I'll give running a try again in another 4-5 days or so.

So...Rest(from running) / Stretch / Strengthen
2013-06-27 10:54 AM
in reply to: carrie639

Search trochanteric bursitis. the usual PT is to strengthen the Abductors. This program is in line with what most PTs I have see over the years employ.

http://www.princeton.edu/uhs/pdfs/PelStabHip-StrenPro.pdf

BUT, its essential to do these with proper form. If you, for example, use the TFL vs the glutes to do these moves you will create terrible imbalances that cause other issues.

See a PT.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Left Hip Pain on the side Rss Feed