General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kona 2009 on a Fixie / Kona 1996 on a Cruiser Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-11-06 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2496681

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Subject: RE: Kona 2009 on a Fixie / Kona 1996 on a Cruiser
Yeah, PennState, I agree - the dumb internet always gums up the works. Ha!

And Jorge, I completely agree with your middle 2 paragraphs. Have fun at the beer mile!! I want to get one of those around here!! (I did a Doughnut Run 5K last year that was GREAT fun!!)

2009-11-06 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2500932

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-11-06 11:49 AM

Expert
St. Paul, MN
PennState, I'm relatively new to BT, so I don't know if this is something people do. I just got back from running some errands, and I've been thinking about this. Sorry if this comes across as "sissy" or "pansy." I just want to say how great it was that we had a good exchange, and then it ended so easily and positively. I misinterpreted some of your words, and started jumping to conclusions. It's easy to see a forum that heads south quickly, and I'm glad this back-and-forth ended so civil. So thank you for that!

Does this post make me a geek? Maybe. Whatever. Shut up.

Anyway, have a great weekend! Any local race for you? My wife and I are heading to a little, beautiful 5K in a nearby state park.

Happy training!!

Edited by stevestenzel 2009-11-06 11:55 AM
2009-11-06 12:45 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-11-06 4:04 PM
in reply to: #2500925

Bob
Binghamton, NY
JorgeM - 2009-11-06 11:20 AM
stevestenzel - 2009-11-06 9:55 AM So what does "IM's cost most of us a lot of money, so I am going to do mine on a nice (very nice) tri bike" really mean?...

I think people are free to race in any way they prefer whether it is with the best P4 all pimped up, on a huffy with training wheels or on a fixie wearing a custome

IMO while it is nice for that guy riding a fixie I personally don't find it neither appealing nor impressive just because it doesn't fit my idea of fun or the why I do triathlons. For *me* what's fun is to set up a goal, work hard at pursuing that goal and push myself as much as I can to make that goal a reality. Impressive for *me* is to see a guy jump off the coach, lose weight, get in shape and kick finishing an IM as fast as possible for him/her or a Pro laying everything on the line and pushing his/her body to the limit.

Now, do I approach all my races like that? not really, most racing I do is with the idea that I want to do my very best, however there are certain low key races I like to do just for fun. Those races doesn't require for me to invest much or my time or money and are part of an event in which I usually do with friend on layback settings. This weekend among other things I am doing a beer mile with team friends in a local track, nothing big just us acting goofy for the heck of it. Still in the AM I have a cyclocross race that I am will take very seriously hence I'll be waking up very early to fuel and drive to.

In the end, I personally not knocking off anyone for doing what they do, they are free to have fun in any way it pleases them as long as it is within the rules and not interfering with the experience of others. If that guy, your or anyone else think it is fun/impressive/challenging to race an IM in a fixie then go nuts I say. Would riding a fixing be challeging and somehow different? Sure. But to *me* it would be ever more challenging to ride a tri bike as hard as you can and then getting off of it and run as hard as you can.

Whose coach allows them to jump them? Just curious?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kona 2009 on a Fixie / Kona 1996 on a Cruiser Rss Feed  

of 2