General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plateau vs. continued build for sprint to Oly Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-31 4:10 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: Plateau vs. continued build for sprint to Oly
Similar questions have been asked before, but usually don't get many replies...so if you have any thoughts would love to hear them.

I just did the 16 wk 2x balanced program for my sprint last week. Am gearing up for an Oly in September. I'm already up to distance on the bike, but not the run or swim.

SHould I plateau for the bike while continuing to build my run & swim like before? Go further with the bike? Plateau at my max times/distances for a few weeks before building again? Something else? I don't feel like I'm ready for serious intervals yet, still enjoying getting up to speed and in shape.

THis will be my first "full season" and plan to do one or two sprints between now and the oly in september.

THanks,
Suzanne

2005-05-31 5:26 PM
in reply to: #166182

Master
portland, or
Subject: RE: Plateau vs. continued build for sprint to Oly
My reccomendation is to move into one of the oly plans on the site. If the 2x schedule is best for you, stick with it and start at the beginning of the 2x Oly plan. Keep in mind that bike fitness plays a bigger role as you go up in distance. Bike fitness not only translates into better bike results, but prepares you for better run results.

scott
2005-05-31 5:45 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
thanks. the tri I just did had an oly distance bike (24 miles), so I don't want to back down on the bike as listed in the beginning oly programs. I guess I'm wondering what to do with my biking specifically as a 20 mile/2 hour ride is very enjoyable for me right now.
2005-06-01 11:03 AM
in reply to: #166223

Master
portland, or
"I" would keep building the longer ride. Maybe set a goal of a 50 mile ride by mid-July, or if there's an organized century in your area in late summer, set a goal of building your miles for that.

I haven't looked at the Oly schedule, but you did mention intervals in your first post. Intervals are a great way to build speed and fitness. I would start incorporating some into the rides. Lots of ways to do this:

fartlek type intervals where you sprint to a stop light/sign every few minute

shift to a bigger gear and ride with a lower cadence, but higher resistance for a few minutes (I like mixing in sets of big gear intervals into longer rides - the objective of these itervals is to build cycling strength, they are not meant to be a cardio/Lactate Threshold workout - so don't let your HR go out of control)

LT intervals where you ride at just below your LT for a few minutes, then recovery for at least 50% of the interval time. Start these out at 1-3 minutes each for 3 reps. Progress by adding a second set after a recovery period, then increase the interval length.

Whatever you choose, make it fun!

scott
2005-06-01 12:15 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
I would also keep building the bike.  If the 2x plan works well for you, you might just try going back to the end of month 3 (I think?) and start with the times there (or wherever you are on them).  Do your build by 10% for 3 weeks and drop back 25% for a week.  This should have you in good shape for an oly 3+ months out.
2005-06-01 1:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Suzanne,

I am exactly in the same situation you are. I am finishing the 16 week 2x sprint program right on time for my first tri on June 18. I intend to take one week for recovery and start on June 27 with the 2x Oly program for an oly on September 17. I will start on week 5 of the program since I can already do these times. I just ran a 10k so I alreayd run longer than the plan mentions. I intend to plateau my running until the plan catches up. I prefer doing this since the weather in now hotter up here and I find it more challenging to run in the higher temperature now. I want to get accustomed to it before increasing too quickly.

I'm not an expert, but that's what I intend to do.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plateau vs. continued build for sprint to Oly Rss Feed