General Discussion Triathlon Talk » front derailleur not shifting Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-06 2:29 PM

User image

Subject: front derailleur not shifting
After a nice long bike ride this past weekend through the aftermath of the snowstorm my front derailleur doesn't want to shift gears. I've seen that this can sometimes be caused by dirt and grime, which would definitely make sense in my case. Problem is I have no clue about bike maintenance, but I want to learn, and I know I need it to start doing it more often (than never).

Should I take the bike to a shop and watch? somewhere to take a lesson? or maybe someone wants to show me in exchange for beer?

Thanks

2009-11-06 2:53 PM
in reply to: #2501470

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: front derailleur not shifting

where in CO are you?  I could help show you around a bike but a lot of things need special tools.   One place I would clean especially after riding in snow/rain/mud is underneath the bottom bracket (where the crank attaches to the bike).  Road bike cables run under there and can get gobbed up and not let the cable slide which may cause you bike not to shift.  It has happend ot me after a build up of gatorade even.  This is good place to clean often to keep your bike running smoothly.

2009-11-06 3:15 PM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
The majority of bike maintenance can be done with your typical multi-tool and the 5mm hex wrench will get the most use.  But like cayrip mentioned there's a number of things that need  should use special tools, like the crank, BB, cogset, etc.

Bike maintenance definitely isn't difficult.  REI often has free workshops on how to work on bike, but probably not much this time of year.  Otherwise take cayrip's offer (or if you're in the north 'burbs of Denver I'll show you some things).  As for a shop showing you, it's a tossup.  I've seen some shops that treat you like crap because you don't bring them shop business, but other shops that realize you're going to do it yourself anyway so they might as well show you and try to sell you the specialty tools you'll need.
2009-11-06 5:46 PM

User image

I'm living in Boulder. Denver wouldn't be too far of a drive to keep my baby running smoothly. I've only been riding for about 6 months so I still have a lot to learn.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » front derailleur not shifting Rss Feed