General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recap: My First Month of Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-01 2:54 AM

Extreme Veteran
Honolulu, HI
Subject: Recap: My First Month of Training
ok, let me apologize right off the bat - this is a completely shameless self-promotion thread. In it, I plan on fluffing myself silly and recapping the highlights and lowlights of my 1st ever month of Tri training!! Actually, I'm just damn thrilled with how the 1st month went overall and wanted to share my excitement and newfound passion for this great pasttime...

Swimming: On May 1st took my 1st swim and could go about 25m without gasping for air. Struggled through those 1st workouts and today, the last day of the month, did 1200m total including a 500m swim without stopping! I'm stoked!!

Biking: Probably my favorite of the 3 sports so far... did a total of about 150 miles, including a long of 29.2 miles yesterday. Hadn't been on a bike in years before this month, so again, I'm pumped at how far I've come.

Running: The only real bummer. Hadn't run consistently in like 10 years and then jumped in and did waaay too many miles earlier this month, totally forgetting all that good advice about building up base miles super slowly... and paid for it with a nagging IT band problem in one knee. I've had to stop running completely for now and am back at square one. BUT.... this didn't stop me from the month's HIGHLIGHT:

1st triathlon ever on May 28!! 400m ocean swim, 10 mile bike and 3.3 mile run in 1:27:20 (see race log for details if you're bored and have some time to kill)... I was thinking an hour and a half was a longshot goal and I made it, so again, super stoked. The swim nearly killed me (holy chop, Batman!) and during the run damn that knee was a-hurtin'. But I did it and couldn't be happier about it.

Anyways, I have all of you to thank for a lot of advice and encouragement this month - definitely couldn't have done it without you. Here's to many more months like this one... and with continued improvement and dedication, we'll see where we get

And for anyone who is starting at square one today - trust me, if I can come this far in a month, you can too!!

Rob

Edited by rheros 2005-06-01 2:56 AM

2005-06-01 7:15 AM
in reply to: #166416

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
Subject: RE: Recap: My First Month of Training
nothing wrong with a little self-promotion on this site, you put in the hard work and you deserve to be congratulated.
2005-06-01 8:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio

bravo- that's a darn good start.  I've been having IT band problems this spring, too.  It's such a bummer when our bodies make us pull back from what we want to do.  I can't wait to see what your training looks like by then end of summer.

Debi

2005-06-01 9:26 AM

User image

Expert
A very postitive month indeed. At this rate we may see you at Kona next year.
2005-06-01 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Central, IL
Rheros:

Congrats on your 1st TRI. I'm right behind you. I started training the last week of April. My first tri is July 16th.

SWIM - at first couldn't, now swimming in OW and 1000 M without stopping
BIKE - former rec. cyclist, really starting to enjoy it again
RUN - fromer 5K racer (age grouper) & 1 marathon (12 yrs ago)
WEIGHT - down 25 pounds (started weight loss program prior to April)

Like wine, things get better with time. I'm really enjoying the lifestyle, comradery (BT web site), and health improvements.

Like you, if I can do it....almost anyone can!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recap: My First Month of Training Rss Feed