General Discussion Triathlon Talk » calculating my race pace today on the run...need advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-02 11:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
Subject: calculating my race pace today on the run...need advice
Today I am going down to the gym to calculate my run race pace since I usually run for time rather than distance.

My question:

How should I calculate this pace? Do I do a 5k (race distance) full out? Or should I calculate it at less than that? What level of effort?

I don't have a HRM yet.

My goal is to get an idea of where I am at as far as my 5k pace so I can pace accordingly on my race course.

2005-06-02 11:38 AM
in reply to: #167282

User image

Master
South of SLC
Subject: RE: calculating my race pace today on the run...need advice
What is the distance? I am assuming since you mention 5K a couple of times, we are talking about a sprint.

Since you are going to the gym, I am also assuming you are going to be running on a treadmill. I am sure there are several different thoughts in here on this, but if you want to know your stand alone race pace, there are several tools on the web that will allow you to input your times for any distance and it will then calculate what your time could be.

At the gym, start at a pace you are comfortable with and able to carry on a conversation while running. After a mile, increase that pace by .5 mph and run that for a mile. I recommend you go easy for a while until you find a pace that is difficult to hold for an entire mile. For your race pace, I would take the fastest time you ran, add 10% to it an use that as your pace for your sprint. Run that pace for one mile and then, increase that pace as you feel able.

Good luck!

Mike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » calculating my race pace today on the run...need advice Rss Feed