General Discussion Triathlon Talk » adapting training to suit your lifestyle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-16 3:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: adapting training to suit your lifestyle
I have been tri- ing for a few seasons now and I do admit to feeling really guilty when I miss training for some reason. Normally it would either work of family related, also at my age, 45, it takes a bit longer to recover from a long run or  ride than it did when I was 20 or so.
The program that I have been following is like Monday=swim run Tuesday = brick,Wed= swim, Thursday = longrun, Fiday = rest Saturday= long ride Sunday = swim bike.

So I thought what would be the effect if lets say I went away for the weekend with the family, we normally end up either hiking, kayaking, or something outdoors and instead of then starting with my normal Monday run/swim I would continue where I left off on Friday and then do my long bike ride on the Monday, and just continue with my program where I left off, skipping the rest days.
I find that we end up going away just about every second weekend so I end up losing quite an amount of bike and running over the weekends.

I also do not want to go away less over the weekends as my wife really lives for the weekend hiking/fishing/kayaking trips ( gotta keep her happy or else my  food will be burnt Wink)

Anybody have an idia of what I am atempting to do is workable?

2009-11-16 5:21 AM
in reply to: #2515434

User image

Master
Subject: RE: adapting training to suit your lifestyle
Is there a choice? I suspect very few of us with happy marriages and kids are able to follow a training plan to the letter. Triathlon is just another piece in the puzzle of a full, satisfying life. Do what you can. Don't stress about the 'intrusion' of life on training.
2009-11-16 5:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
for me family is first, work is second then training. triathlon training and races are hobbies for me, i do love it and now feel that i need the training to balance out my hectic life but its still a hobby. i dont have a specific training program i do what i feel like doing. so if i miss a day or two it doesnt knock me out of whack. i dont ever plan on turning pro or plan on winning an ironman race so i do it for fun. i feel for me if i try to stick to a program it wont be fun anymore.
2009-11-16 6:09 AM

New user
Can you pull a long ride on Friday?  Weekends are rest or family activities?

Or

Swim & Bike M,W,F
Run T,TH

One training plan I have looked at basically followed the above.  If you have a free Saturday add another run.
2009-11-16 6:59 AM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
I would save my free day for the weekend and consider the hike a run.  Just don't go into the weekend too tired to keep up with your wife
2009-11-16 8:59 AM

User image

NH
Family is first.  If you're really feeling guilty about the training, rework your plan taking into account the realistic time constraints you have.  If I had nothing else in life to do we could train on a perfect schedule but that's not reality.  Always remember that you're doing the best you can within boundaries, but there are boundaries. 

And congratulations on doing as well as you're doing.  Remember, we're all in the top few percent just by doing this tri thing at all!

2009-11-16 9:06 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
I'm in a similar situation right now.. went camping last weekend, going out of town this weekend, and the weekend after that is thanksgiving, which means I'll be out of town again, so I'm just trying to make sure I can get what I can in during the free time I've got.  My normal rest day of friday is being switched to Saturday, but other than that I'm just trying to get in what I can and not try to kill myself during the week, but at least make up for some of the lost time. 
2009-11-16 10:19 AM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
lately, i have just been running (marathon training), which makes it easier, but i have switched several long runs to saturday or even friday morning to account for weekend plans.  i find it extremely helpful to have it out of the way so that i don't have to worry about it all weekend.  Although getting up at 5 am and running 16 miles on a friday is not ideal, it has worked for me.
2009-11-16 11:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the input
I think that I am on the right track here.
Problem with me is that I cannot do things half-half, I am a all or nothing type of person, but I am trying to make the old life a bit more balanced.

2009-11-16 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
I have been battling this since I just signed up for the IM Florida:  there has to be balance - here is what I came up with 

Master Swim - M,W,F - 5:15AM - Home before the rest of the family is up - Lunch core training.
T, THUR - Spin/run bricks or Thur just a run - again 5:30am
Sat / Sun - open for Long run or ride - depends on family, kids sports schedule

Last don't beat yourself up if you miss one - just move on to the next.   My family knows what I am doing and is "giving in" some and I give in as well.  If I don't have there support then it won't work.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » adapting training to suit your lifestyle Rss Feed